VendPart vs PartXRefVend

Does anyone have any best practices for entering supplier part numbers? It appears that there are two tables that house a vendor part num…VendPart & PartXRefVend.

DMT allows for imports into VendPart but from what I can tell there isn’t an option to DMT into PartXRefVend, and I don’t think the creation of a VendPart record will trigger the creation of a PartXRefVend row.

PartXRefVend.VendPartNum is the field visible in the Supplier Pricelist UI.

My goal is to add this column to several dashboards but need to know which one to use/best practices for maintaining the data. Thanks.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong here, but VendPart is intended to be used for price lists - meaning they are only valid during certain date ranges. So you may have the same part in there several times as it pertains to supplier price lists. The PartXrefVend table is more about tying a supplier’s part properties/characteristics to the company’s part. You can tie it to a specific manufacturer at the PartXrefVend level also. If you get into the world of electronic components, this might make sense. You can buy the same relay through many different suppliers.

To me, it makes more sense to use the VendPart record value because that’s what you are tying to vendor price lists - therefore it is going to be used regularly. But do a BAQ on your end and see what you are using more regularly. Either way you go about it, you may run into some issues if the supplier part number changes over time because you will end up with multiple rows that return in the VendPart table. Joining on VendPart will be tricky. You’ll have to get it down to just the most recent entry.

1 Like