Warehouse Digital Signage

Well we were sold that it was effortless, wouldn’t cost any users licenses, and wouldn’t require 3rd party solutions. Now we find out that if we use native tools (data discovery) we have to burn 25 licenses just to maintain our current signage not accounting for future usage. So we are left with 3rd party solutions which just take more effort to implement. My problem is more with the misleading sales promises than the actual implementation.

1 Like

We use MAWI displays pushing out a SSRS report that automatically updates. They recommend a higher end computer/video card to push the video over the LAN to the end point devices.
Monitors AnyWhere | MAWi - Monitors AnyWhere Web-Based Interface

1 Like

You must be new to purchasing anything. What sales thinks is possible vs what is engineered possible are always vastly different. Mal-intent probably not intended. Give it a few years live and you’ll see the light.

The flexibility of the software is what makes Epicor different from SAP, Oracle, or Dynamics. You’re effectively complaining because you have 3rd party options. Other packages you might not be afforded the same flexibility to do what you want with it.

Anyone implementing goes through this phase of regret, anger, and blame. You’ll come out of it too :slight_smile:

For a good laugh google “engineer sales memes” this is one of my favorites

1 Like

I am trying to get at the underlying hardware. Is your VM hosted on your network server? Do you use a standalone PC on each monitor?

Does this help?

The main goal of running Docker is say Grafana has a zero day. It’s running in Isolation from that docker container you can’t get anywhere else upwards from there.

2 Likes

Thank you! This really helps tie things together for me!

In our case yes @jgiese.wci this chart is accurate but that is because we use a “blade” type server. Most people their “Physicaly” plug it into the wall level Server is Hyper-V Host 1 and Hyper-V Host 2. Just to clarify that chart.

I’m afraid that didn’t clarify anything for me. But I bet someone with more networking knowledge might get it!

1 Like

What I have found when I first started using the cloud models (Single Tenancy in 2015 then Public Cloud, and private cloud afterwards ), is I had to challenge all of my previous assumptions. Personally, I find this kind of problem solving invigorating.

Let’s start with licensing. If you stay with Data Discovery, you don’t need to burn full licenses for this. Data Collection (MES) are cheaper. There is also Web Service licenses. The first three are not cheap but then they get way less expensive after that.

As a cloud person, my mind also thinks about resiliency and efficiency. What if I cannot connect to SaaS? What happens to my displays? Also, is it efficient to have 25 different screens continuously hit Epicor over the WAN? :thinking: In the on-prem world, we think of nothing to waste that network resource because it’s fast. But when I think of a more cloud native approach, I want clear separation of duties. So what if I have one function that just downloads the schedule as needed? That is just one license. Now I can use all the tools mentioned in this thread to filter and display. Also, if I loose the connection to my Kinetic server, I can still keep moving while notifying the floor how old that data is. As a bonus, if Epicor changes the schedule logic, I most likely will only have to update my download stage since I’ve abstracted Kinetic away from my display solution.

Question everything. I find that doing so can lead to real valuable change.

1 Like

Have you ever seen the movie inception? It’s a bit like that lol

1 Like

Also for the Android Player that we use, we buy them from Xibo

1 Like

We use Power Bi, upload the information to firesticks, and manage them with Optisigns.

1 Like

So are you using off the shelf smart tvs for displays?

yep, and purchased firesticks from Amazon.

Is Opitsigns the same kind of software/service as Xibo?

Is anyone using HDMI over ethernet instead of using a Firestick or Nuc at the TV?

Wait. HDMI over ethernet? What?

What Is HDMI over Ethernet and How Does it Work | Black Box

I’m not familiar with Xibo. However, with Optisigns, I can create playlists with any information I want, and it can be managed remotely, even through the app on your phone. Check out their website for more details.

image001.png

2 Likes