What does your Kinetic Home Page look like?

I’m curious about how other users and admins customize their Kinetic home page. Do you have any screenshots of your layout that you are willing to share? If you do, please blur any data you don’t want public.

I plan to use these examples to give my users (and myself) some insight on how they can customize their own home page.

Thank you for sharing!

This is mine:

10 Likes

Not mine but at my previous company.

We were multi-site multi-company but some people had to be in all of them. The user took all the menu options she would need and filled up the tab for each company but had color coded them in such a way that each one was basically a design.

It was really neat to look at. Wish I had a screen shot of it.

That being said mine is very basic and similar to yours however they are all single tab but color coded for their respective uses: dev, entry, tracker.

I used to customize mine but the thing I wanted was never there or I spent more time looking for it among the other thousand shortcuts. Now I just leave the default home page and use the menu search for everything. So much easier not to look for anything but just type what I want and it comes right up. I think for people who use the same 10 screens all day every day customizing it is great though.

1 Like

I take the junk-drawer approach. Stuff everywhere but colour-coded. I usually take @aosemwengie1’s approach, just search for what I need.

2 Likes

Is it possible to change “Home” to something else? Perhaps the name of the current database? Like “Train”, “Test”. Seems like valuable screen real estate.

I would love it if the search was ON the home screen. One less click.

I’d vote for that idea.

3 Likes

Did you know about the CTRL+K option? Make sure the Kinetic screen is active and press CTRL+K to bring up a Spotlight-like search, then start typing. It brings the menu to you wherever in the app you are! It’s my favorite feature that’s not documented anywhere :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Wow. I did NOT know that. That is fabulous!

Thank-you @spaceage !

Excited Season 6 GIF by The Office

4 Likes

When I was on Kinetic :cry:, my Home screen was completely blank. I deleted everything. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

A few thoughts:

1. I just redid this last month. I hated my old layout and started over.
  2. I do 4 columns (not 6) because when I squish the window, it does NOT rearrange my icons. :smiley:
  3. Half of it is dashboards we made here (mostly this first page)
  4. “Everything That Is Wrong” is nothing but BAQ tiles of things that will crash MRP. etc.
  5. “Doing Stuff” has a tile for each site (here) for each major entry program. Because either (a) it matters what site you are in or (b) if I feel like opening another screen from it, I will then care what site I am in (looking at you, customer shipment entry).

Also, I agree with others - 70% of the day is opening one of 200 other apps via the menu search. I tried to limit the homepage to only the screens I use incessantly, or those site-specific ones to save the effort of switching sites.

One more “also” - I think the whitespace just looks better. It’s a common design mantra, and my eyes hurt less.

5 Likes

Prequel Memes GIF - Prequel Memes Chosen One GIFs

2 Likes

To illustrate that:

It removes the whitespace but does not create a kaleidoscope of rearranged tiles.

2 Likes

Where have you been all my life! How did I not know this! Amazing!!!

1 Like

Anyone else notice the optical illusion of a grey circle where the corners of 4 tiles meet? You’ll see it in your periphery.

If not, you’re welcome.

@JasonMcD 's whitespace approach fixes it until the window collapses the layout.

I got bored one day and went nuts with icons.

5 Likes

Have you found a way to make this open the selected menu in a new tab?

1 Like

I haven’t tried, but I’d imagine using a plugin like Greasemonkey would allow you to override the default behavior. A quick search turned up this function for force all links to open in new tabs:

// ==UserScript==
// @name        All Links in New Tab
// @namespace   *
// ==/UserScript==

(function(){
    var script = document.createElement("script");
    script.type = "application/javascript";
    script.innerHTML = "$(function(){$('a').attr('target', '_blank');});";
    document.body.appendChild(script);
})();

*modify the namespace variable to activate just on your Epicor site

1 Like

A colleague pointed out to me that CTRL+SHIFT+K will open a duplicate tab (in Edge… doesn’t work in Chrome).

So, when using Edge, CTRL+SHIFT+K… followed by your CTRL+K would retain the original tab.

2 Likes