Who creates jobs in your company?

In your company, who creates the jobs and engineers them? What is their job title? What department are they in? I’m just curious how other companies see this function, whether it belongs to engineering, operations, or something else?

1 Like

Engineering all the way.

2 Likes

When I was doing that, it was manufacturing engineer. That seems to be the best fit, it’s between design engineering and production. I don’t personally think that a design engineers time should be wasted with scheduling and production issues. But that depends on the size of the company.

3 Likes

For us, most of the jobs are generated via the MRP, we have a position called Scheduler (Planificateur/trice) which is responsible to for the release of the jobs. Also he/she often need to make changes when machines need repairs or adjustments… The jobs if possible are transfered on another available resource. (Mind you, the present person with this job has an engineering degree from another country… )
Engineering dept. is responsible for the R&D jobs mostly.
Pierre

3 Likes

To expand on what @Hogardy said. The position which I was doing the jobs was company where everything was engineer to order and the jobs were very large. So it was a 3-5 jobs a week, but there were thousands of parts in the jobs. The scheduling aspect was almost none, it was more about know how new parts to to get made and engineered.

If you had a company that was mostly repeat orders where BOM information doesn’t change, then I would do what @Hogardy had set up at his company where you have a dedicated scheduler. Then a design engineer could do the engineering work, and the scheduler just pulls the details in the jobs (or MRP). So it also depends on the business model.

2 Likes

Those are the two scenarios pretty much yeah? Some companies may have a different mix, but I think you summed it up nicely- MRP and scheduler or engineer. And then the in-between is one person engineer/scheduler or two people engineer & scheduler.

1 Like

Ditto.

MRP, Planner, system admin, funky C# BPM to create TOs and associated jobs for site-to-site demand

Hi Alisa,

We do not have MRP turned on for our part numbers that require engineering. This way those go to the Planning Workbench and engineering makes those, typically top level, jobs. The lower level jobs for standard parts get done via MRP, then planning to firm and schedule.
Our repetitive Top level jobs that do not require engineering get unfirm jobs via MRP from Part setup checked for MRP and then a planner firms and schedules those.

I have always wished to use order job wizard for our standard parts, but we had problems right away because we operate out of multiple plants, and so we backed off on that.

Nancy

1 Like

Aggregate answer for two companies.

People:

• Shipping manager (manually created assembly jobs when materials were received; this company wasn’t using MRP)
  • Compliance officer (manually created inspection and maintenance jobs with some help from DMT)

Programs, so essentially me:

• MRP using Quote methods created by Product Configurators
  • No-Inputs Configurators reading JSON from a UD table
  • Custom REST integrations creating jobs from the output of third-party material optimizers
1 Like

Those programs seem pretty cool Kevin.

Thank you to everyone who is answering, very interesting to see the similarities and differences in where this function resides.

1 Like

We have two scenarios. One is that MRP will create unfirm jobs for our manufacturing/fabrication side to machine parts, and the other is jobs for sales orders. For the former no engineering is necessary because the MOMs are straightforward. For the latter we have a hybrid process: our main products are configured to order and that configuration is represented in Epicor with a mix of a few custom-engineered jobs and some additional line items. The bulk of the engineering is actually being done during the quoting process by a webapp through the REST API. The webapp will “Get Details” on a line of a quote to retrieve the template MOM and then add a few subassemblies as needed. The order entry clerk then generally just has to review it and mark it “engineered” when creating the order and jobs. Not all of our orders go through that webapp, though, so the order entry clerk has to know how to engineer the jobs herself, too.

2 Likes

Planning. Should be Engineering, but for a variety of reasons we decided to have our Planning team handle method and job creation

So many times competence trumps titles… :laughing:

2 Likes

Planning here too. We do a monthly set amount based on a pre-planned quantity.

We run MRP all the parts in the part table have been engineered. The customer service/ order entry clerk runs Job Status Maintenance for unfirm jobs and then firms/ engineers them. Then each dept. lead manages the jobs with Planning Workbench and Resource Scheduling Board. For parts on the fly, order entry creates the job manually.

We ship about 300 lines a month, all repeat work. Engineers develop the methods, customer service enters the orders and mfg mgr directs the scheduling and manages the shop load.

Ed

Well said Edward, that’s our process also

Dean

Production Scheduler or Manufacturing Scheduler

1 Like