Why I hesitate reporting bugs to Epicor Support

Have you ever tried to report a bug to support? Half the time they dont even read your case notes, take you for a long ride down the rabbit hole, request a webex among other things for something that they can recreate within 5 minutes. Often times I just reply, you either send this to development or it never gets fixed and they close my case.

I usually dread reporting bugs thru Epicor Support because often they just keep going on and on without reading the case notes and requesting webex’ex. I remember back in the days when I find a bug and have had Mr. Elia confirm it via Email he asks me to put in a Case so he can assign it; I do so and I clearly state, this is a bug finding and Bart has asked me to report it, please forward it to him, as if I have never written it.

xx1

Somehow he skipped the Case Notes… I wasn’t going to repeat myself in a “Comment”
2018-09-06_1549

2018-09-06_1425

After a lenghty back and forth:

2018-09-06_1550

We need a send to Nathan Anderson button :slight_smile: @aidacra feature request!!

PS: Intend of this post is just awareness and we would like to help with actual bug reports, but there has to be a simpler way a form that simply says “Fill in Replication Steps” etc… and it goes for Review directly to a Senior or QA Department. Someone who has a VM Machine and will confirm your replication steps, without a webex. I get it some bugs require “data” similar to the Customers so its case-by-case basis.

5 Likes

I think they are slowly getting better, and Nathan and Bart are putting pressure on them to get better from there end, but yes, it is pain…

1 Like

They do have a GitHub page where you can report issues! :joy:

Make sure you give them bad marks on the surveys too.

ONLY if you are willing to type out notes in the free-form area explaining why you are providing the score you are. Without context, nothing can be done :confused:

WHAT HAVE I EVER DONE TO YOU?!?!?!?

Agreed, and we are working on a project to allow for that directly from epiccare. It’ll provide a template and ask the basic five questions that every support case needs, prompt for screenshots/PSR steps, the works. It’ll be reviewed by someone knowledgeable, and if it meets muster, passed to dev with very little handling from Support proper itself.

6 Likes

Don’t they have categorizations on the cases? What type of call it is? what area of the software it is? Surveys are to look at larger trends too, not just individual cases aren’t they?

Yes, fair enough. Perhaps that box should be made mandatory.

without context, the most likely outcome that can be inferred is that @Banderson really doesn’t like Analyst XYZ as he always gives that analyst all 2’s all the time (as this analyst doesn’t get 2’s from anyone else) when the issue could be a training issue with Analyst XYZ in the specific area you are calling in on.

All I am saying is that the data is used in many ways, but, when it comes to analyst deficiencies, the best way to have someone that can do anything about that do anything at all is to provide context by way of words to go with the numeric score of the surveys.

NOTE: Management only calls customers to get more context when a 1 is provided. So, if there isn’t a 1, all we have to go on is what can be inferred through the case.

Excellent! :smiley:

An asset for Public Cloud would be nice too. We had that for EMS and it directed that stuff to them without unnecessarily bothering the “Technical” group in Support. :wink:

2 Likes

ouch.

That too. I’m pushing for a drop down list of common requests for MT/DT customers (“regen data model”, “defer upgrade to new release”, “printing is down!!! AHHHHH!!”) that will automatically populate the needed fields on the epiccare side and go directly to the ops team to assist. It makes zero sense for support to be the middle men/women in that process when we don’t add any value and just slow down the time to resolution.

2 Likes

Excellent! It will encourage more Bug Reports, making it hopefully easier for Development when the community finds it easier to submit them. Instead of us always submitting them to a Forum, or messaging SME’s like yourself over private message because its less tedious :slight_smile:

In a perfect world, we would have a team of resources call everyone who isn’t a net promoter on a survey (any question with a score less than an 8 or 9–I forget the rules we have for that) There are just too many of you and not enough of us, so the criteria we use is if a 1 is used on any question, someone will call you back to get more detail.

This isn’t my way of saying is that if you are upset about a case that you should just use a 1 when you would have given a 3. The numbers are useful, but, for something to be actionable we need context.

An example of what is helpful: “Analyst XYZ was polite/professional/responded in a timely way but, didn’t understand the subject matter which greatly increased the amount of time I had to spend resolving the issue”

I can work on an analyst’s knowledge, professionalness, etc, but, a 3 by itself–no next step for me

1 Like

I agree with Haso, it can be better and easier.
but i can see the improvement is getting to the surface, and reaching us as customers/users
But please don’t forget you are e10help Ninja :wink: , while support is for everyone.

1 Like

Concerning the Survey, they are always about the Case, while the bug/issue is solved by the problem.
and the communication between customer <-> support <-> development, can be a strugle, as a customer i am happy to enter the information about support, when they report my bug to development fast and accurate. but the issue/improvement isn’t there yet.

1 Like

For something actionable on a single case. I’m trying to help you out by saying, everyone should fill out a survey for every call, even if you don’t have time to fill out the free text, good or bad. As a company, I would imagine that you are looking at the trends to try to prioritize training and resources based on some of these survey numbers and single points of reference aren’t good for those types of decisions anyways. For a software company, I can’t imagine you aren’t trying to stay on the top of industry trends of data driven decisions, right? So when you say “nothing can be done without text” which I read as “the numbers part of the surveys are useless”, that seems off to me, which is why I pointed that out.

If you are saying that the surveys have no weight without text, I can stop filling them out, I was just thinking that Epicor would want that data.

Haha I remember my first encounter with Nathan was over a spat with a support fellow for the same reason :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Oh! You mean like this back and forth on case notes… where the original notes said EXACTLY what I was trying to convey and that were totally ignored? I still have no further information on this one by the way. the 10.2.200.11 release notes just say “Improved JM Production Planning Process performance” and all I am asking for is more details. What was wrong, what was fixed? I often get to the point I don’t even want to log a ticket and report what I believe is a bug anymore. Simply because dealing with the techs sometimes is painful as heck to be honest. READ THE CASE NOTES BEFORE THE INITIAL RESPONSE!

5 Likes

@aidacra Derek brought up a good point. What is stopping you from providing more Release Notes, Fix Details. I am sure you have plenty of backlog cases requesting for “additional, more detailed fix details”.

1. Improve the descriptions in the release notes

2. Add to the EpiCare website an easy way to just log in, enter the SCR or fix number and see the detailed release notes myself as the user

Would that not minimize those petty case requests after each update, freeing up support resources to do actual work? Every update, when things are vague or not clear; we tend to submit 5-10 “Request for more info” cases, add that by lets say 100 customers you easily get 500 cases.

2 Likes