Why is Epicor screen search so bad?

Me: I want Customer Entry please
Epicor: hmm not really sure what you mean… try one of these

Me: Part Maintenance please
Epicor: “Go fish”

Why, just why?

2 Likes

Its the 4th item down for me, so either they’ve improve it or its not deterministic :joy:

:safe_harbor: Insert safe harbor statement here :safe_harbor:
We have a plan to fix this in 2024.1… hoping to have menu search significantly improved so that the menu search returns a prioritized list with most common results first. we also want to de-dup the list because right now, if you have the same exact application on the menu 10 times, you will see the same option shown 10 times.
More to come!
:safe_harbor: End of safe harbor :safe_harbor:

14 Likes

Hi @timshuwy… not to hijack… but is there any thought in improving Context Menus?

For example, a person could have access to Part Tracker in Sales Management menu… but the Context Menu is pointed at the Part Tracker in Production Management… the context menu fails.

Granted, I do understand that one Part Tracker COULD be set-up differently from another (displaying different customization layers, etc.)… so I understand the logic.

I’ve resorted to creating custom menus saved under a top-level menu that everyone has access to and then having to adjust the Context Menus to point to that one.

So, yeah, I know it is “working by design”… but MAN is it a pain to manage.

In My (not-always-so) Humble Opinion, all the Context Menu “tracker” options should point to the Executive Analysis > Trackers folder, since typically that’s where everyone can see stuff.

But maybe that’s just me.

1 Like

Don’t get me and @askulte started. (Too late.)

@smason To get to both of our points, though, I had made a point in 2020 that if you want - in your case - Customer Entry, why not name the thing Customer Entry? Why is it named “Customer”?

I get the elegance that you Millennials like in naming things simply, but like I say it’s awkward to say to a user, “Open Customer.” So I have had to resort to saying “Open the screen called ‘Customer’'” – because that’s not awkward either.

And then the user still responds with “You mean ‘Customer Shipment’?” or whatever they see first. And I have to say, no… keep looking for the thing I actually said.

2 Likes

God forbid you use the menu search to try to get Part Entry. And I don’t know magic key strokes to return only ‘Part’. You got me started again, Jason!

@SteveFossey I could not apply for your job opening by the way, with the requirement about being nice to users and all.

Or how about AP Invoice Entry and A/P Invoice Tracker.

They did fix those, to be fair. And I did give credit there when they did.

I notice the little things - for good and ill.

1 Like

Nice - We’re on 2021.2.8 currently. Looking forward to upgrading to 2024.2 in two years with the better menus (we’re on an annual upgrade cadence in February)…

I’d rather y’all fix that….

Is there an idea to help with the prioritized list? I would vote to have handheld menus drop to the bottom of the list :grin:

2 Likes

@timshuwy Will the 2024+ menu search give us the ability to use operators? Make it similar to Google and a lot of people will know how to use it. TY!

google has a little of a head start on us. We are planning on improving things, but we will probably not be to the same level as a google search yet ( :safe_harbor: )

Tim - Thanks! How about we get AND, OR, and EXCLUDE for now. :slight_smile: