Will you use EVA?

I guess if you don’t try these things, you’ll never know. I can see value in areas that normal data entry is cumbersome…like the timber industry where they always want to order in a tally insead of one line at time…It is has been a headache of mine for the last year or so.

Whilste not quite electronic assistance. I do know a company that does building assesments for insurance. Their assessors are armed with a phone and dragon dictate. After their inspection, they jump into the back of their van and run off the report there and then and it’s applied to the claim almost immediately.

It’s not going to be for everyone, I agree there. Electronic assistants are going to keep improving as AI cloud services improve. The big sticking point is and will always be is privacy.

1 Like

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

Bahaha, I expect that to basically be the typical response from EVA too.

2 Likes

Personally, I expect more frustration than help, specially for non-native english speakers…

I second that.

Same here.

3 Likes

@hkeric.wci
I have a lean consultant friend who is currently in the Healthcare sector who in the past did some Epicor PM work together. He confirms that the biggest waste in Healthcare is IT Systems and archaic procedures. He pointed out that there is a ton of administrative overhead in Healthcare and that most of that, in his experience, is transcription and duplicate data entry in the various systems and keeping them in sync. He said the number of paper forms is astounding and all that has to be transcribed into multiple systems. He and I talk on the phone about once a month as we are collaborating on improvements and Office 365 and Teams looks and so far has been making improvements.
Just this last Saturday we were talking about how his HR admin was commenting how their high ‘Millenia’ turnover and that one of the top 5 reasons provided was ‘complicated computer systems.’ They are just blown away and ‘demoralized’ by the redundant data entry and maintenance. I really think the ‘Millennials’ will slowly push many industries to address these bulky processes and unintegrated systems.
On EVA, I am very interested in it, but I think it would make more headway (as would Social) if it was an Bot App in Teams.
I think if Social, Epicor Search & EVA could all be ported to Teams through an Epicor configuration it would be more valuable. Constantly switching between tools is a big friction point.
(just some random thoughts this thread inspired)

3 Likes

Ginormous agreement with Rick here. What is the nature of most of our customizations? Alternate input methods (barcode, web, flat-file, etc) and alternate reporting methods (web, dashboards, etc.)

As an alternate input, speech is fine and it’s becoming more and more prevalent - albeit slower with Gen-X and up. Similarly, we see our older demographic stuck in Excel and email while Millennials/Gen-Z and non-North Americans are most used to chat.

Frankly, I’m for a system that is input/output agnostic. The more the merrier. Eva is welcome. But I wouldn’t mind seeing a little more integration with the O365 world. I think that would make Epicor very competitive against the Dynamics line when they go up against them.

Mark W.

2 Likes

I am trying to test EVA now, and having a lot of trouble getting the App set up to work through the firewall, and working with support on what ports need to be open. Clearly not just 443, and Azure has a lot of ports that could need to be opened.
As expected, was misrepresented at Insights as “Included in 10.2.400”, which it IS, but needs to be licensensed seperatly. We have the Web Access and Enterprise Search, so you would think that would be included. Oh well, they give you 30 days to try it, so that is what I am doing. I doubt that anyone besides me would even use it, especially if it is a licensed thing. Free, yeah, maybe, but just a cool gadget that I will try, demo for the team, and that is probably the end of it, but at least I presented it and the capabilities. You never know if they will want things, but you have to keep pushing the new stuff or they will stay on Windows XP, lol

1 Like

They are making people pay for EVA? :scream:

Yes there will NOT be a free skill set unlike EDD where you have a few basic features for free.

It’s just using Microsoft LUIS so Epicor is paying for each call. @visionaire What is the performance like? I’m assuming that it’s making a REST call for every single thing that it has to look up?

@hkeric.wci What’s funny is that they use Marketo internally for their sales chat so I’m not sure why they built their own. https://www.cmo.com.au/article/645651/epicor-looks-technology-lines-blur-between-b2b-b2c-marketing/

1 Like

Shoot. We won’t have .400 installed to give testing this in the next 6 weeks a try. At first glance (in Insights), it seems gimmicky, and hard to provide an ROI to management to justify yet another 150 seat license for a few folks that would use it…

John - Interesting, thanks. For kicks, I looked up Microsoft LUIS pricing, and it’s $5.50/1000 speech requests:
https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/cognitive-services/language-understanding-intelligent-services/

1 Like