ACTION NEEDED: Colorado Retail Delivery Fee begins July 1, 2022

Has anyone testing Cancelation Invoices and the Colorado Delivery Fee. We just discovered if the original invoice contained this $0.27 fee, Avalara does not add it back onto the Cancellation Invoice when it calculates the taxes. That means Epicor will not let you post the Cancelation Invoice as it does not 100% match the original invoice it is cancelling.

We tried this with both a invoice line with the fee added and a misc. charge. Neither came back with the -0.27 on the cancellation invoice.

Can anyone else confirm @Beth @askulte @aosemwengie1 if this is the case then we need to re-evaluate this Epicor Maintenance Agreement fee we pay; when they never maintain anything properly. Its kinda getting old. :smiley:

I believe this problem is on the Avalara side - did you try reporting it as a bug?

No, I can’t confirm it but I’m interested if anyone else can.

There is a validation to make sure the original invoice taxes match the ones in the cancellation, both in tax lines and amounts.

However you can manually remove the hold flag and post the invoice.

I will report this to see how to handle this specific scenario.

4 Likes

Just sharing the following post with respect to CRDF. It’s a few weeks old, but I just saw it today.

“Colorado Revisits Retail Delivery Fee” from TaxOps

I particularly liked the following statements:
“The contentious delivery fee is likely to make its way to court, where the justice system will make the call about whether the law violates the state’s restriction TABOR laws. TABOR, or the Taxpayer’s Bill of Rights, requires that any tax increases be put to the vote of the general population. By naming the retail delivery fee a fee, lawmakers may be attempting to circumvent TABOR requirements to get revenue to the bottom line.”

4 Likes

Might be a good reason to not Automate it just yet, but simply handle it manually and see if the Appeal gets any traction.

2 Likes

Example_ColoradoInvoicesvsRetailFee.rdl (76.5 KB)

We are running a daily exception report posted here as per Scott’s request.

This is pretty straight forward report report. I held off on BPM just because it’s pretty quick for the CSR to add in the fee as needed.

Some notes
(1) We don’t use different address per line or release so if you do this you would need to modify this report. I’m sure someone could modify it if you use different shipping to addresses per
(2) I send it each morning per SQL Server - could be automated to send as Epicor Report also, ie. BAQ and then create a Epicor Schedule

My Opinion on this/two cents.
My take is Colorado put in the fee to collect from Amazon (and other ecommerce). For us the administration work is far greater than the fee collected and I think we would pay many times the collected fee just not to deal with it.

SQL Code… (pretty straight forward )
select
kitflag,
prodcode,oh.ordertype_c,od.ordernum, od.orderline,
od.partnum,od.linedesc,
od.prodcode,od.kitflag,od.orderqty,
od.requestdate,
od.unitprice,
od.docunitprice,
shipto.city,
shipto.state,
ordermsc.misccode

from orderdtl od
join orderrel orel
on orel.ordernum = od.ordernum
and orel.orderline = od.orderline
join orderhed oh
on oh.ordernum = od.ordernum
and oh.company = od.company

join erp.shipto
on shipto.company = oh.company
and shipto.custnum = oh.custnum
and shipto.shiptonum = oh.shiptonum
and shipto.state = ‘CO’

left outer join erp.ordermsc
on ordermsc.ordernum = oh.ordernum

–CRDF is the code for our miscellaneous fee
and ordermsc.misccode = ‘CRDF’
and ordermsc.company = oh.company

– Modify for any product codes you want to exclude
where od.OpenLine = 1
and kitflag <> ‘C’
and ProdCode <> ‘NO CHARG’
and ProdCode <> ‘WARRANTY’

and (@pExceptionsOnly = 0 or ISNULL(ordermsc.misccode,‘None’) <>‘CRDF’)

1 Like

Thanks Nathan!

Tanya

We ran into the same issues when we used part. Also if you have a sales order with multiple shipments, now you need a “Retail Delivery” part on each one.

We already had a custom invoice and choose to make it show the delivery fee the way we needed it based on the misc code

• Just realized this is stale sorry *

@nneilitz - My take was that the fee only applies once per order, regardless of # of shipments.

https://tax.colorado.gov/retail-delivery-fee#:~:text=Each%20sale%20for%20delivery%20is%20considered%20a%20single%20“retail%20delivery”%20regardless%20of%20how%20many%20shipments%20are%20needed%20to%20deliver%20the%20items%20purchased.

We address it 2 ways for now. Salespeople ‘try’ to remember to add the $0 misc header charge so Avalara can catch it during sales tax calculation. We also run a BAQ monthly that shows the taxable CO orders that missed getting the fee, and add that to our CO sales tax return. It’s a lot of effort for $15! :man_facepalming:

The way I’d interpret that is that if you have lines going different places, you will need multiple delivery fees as well. If they are going the same place, I’d agree only need one. Good to know. In any case I think misc codes to be the better choice.

I just queried ours and we have ~ $7 - so ya, not worth the work at all. I don’t think they really understood the implications of the tax/legislation.

So if you take your BAQ, make a report and then send a daily exception report, this is similar to what we did (ours is on orders) I just check that each morning. Initially I added in the charges (first two weeks) but then the CSRs started catching on. We haven’t missed one yet. Since I’m checking for various other exceptions it really doesn’t take but a couple of seconds for the check.

1 Like

It seems pretty clear its only due once per order.

We decided to do ours at the time of Invoicing and not the Order. This way we can Consolidate Shipments & Invoices. Still works well with Master Pack etc. I hope this helps someone.

Because if you add them at the time of Order you are basically assuming they will be shipped separately.

It doesn’t mentioned delivery location in the verbiage - you would need to clarify I suppose. I’m really not going to worry about it.

Adding them at the order precludes extra work for the shipping department. Doesn’t matter how they are shipped.

If you add them to the order, how does Epicor handle Partial Shipments or Partial Invoicing? Epicor may apply the charge during invoicing twice?

I guess if you dont do partials and you don’t have Blanket Orders, you may be fine.

We decided to add it at Invoicing by SUMing up Orders where Order Date isnt the same. But like everyone else, we are just waiting for this fee to fall dead in court.

** Wait one **, so checked with A/R and she says nope MISC only applies once per the order. No issue on the partials. Not sure about blanket orders in general - what defines this, how does the law apply but at worst we are charging and passing a long a couple of extra $.27 fees.

So much for it being named DELIVERY FEE :smiley: I for a moment for whatever reason thought it is a Shipment Fee to offset their tolls, roads etc…, not per order where Order By Date isnt the same.

You really need to absorb this paragraph into your heart, and Alternatively isnt an Alternative :slight_smile:

FYI…

What you need to know about the Colorado retail delivery fee now

1 Like