Advent of Code

Anybody else participating this year in the Advent of Code event? I was introduced to it last year, and am trying to make it farther than day 4 this time :smiley:

https://adventofcode.com/

2 Likes

Thatā€™s kind of cool. I made it through day one. Wonder how long it will be before I forget. Can you catch up on days?

1680621-971def8b Hereā€™s a private leader Board code for us EpiUsers.

1 Like

FWIW, Iā€™ve found on Advent Calendars, not only can you catch up but you can get way ahead too. For example, Iā€™m already on February 22 on this one.

4 Likes

Was only curious thatā€™s all

2 Likes

Yeah you can catch up on days if you let them go by. Even catch up on previous years! Also joined the leaderboard.

I could see using this as a test for hiring - weā€™ve had degreed masters who couldnā€™t program or project manage their way out of a wet paper bag, and this might be a better test than their degree (oh, I went thereā€¦)

1 Like

woah, this gets harder pretty fast. Starting on the day 4 now. Itā€™s a fairly involved puzzle to solve!

yeaah. last year they threw in some multidimensional array stuff and it got me good last time lol

escalated quickly :owl:

multidimensional arrays, nice

1 Like

Once you sit down and think about whatā€™s going on its not to bad. just brushes off the old college textbox problems you thought you wouldnā€™t encounter in the real world. And i still never have outside of challenges :smiley:

1 Like

Hahaha thatā€™s exactly what it made me think of, college textbook problems.

2 Likes

Hahaha Mark, spot on! I have been learning about no sql databases in my Azure Fundamentals class and I would love to have an app that didnā€™t use a hierarchical database or work with data that isnā€™t hierarchicalā€¦ just to stop the recursion.

@utaylor oh yes - been doing the MongoDB ā€œcoursesā€ and really seems like with todayā€™s serializer / deserializers you could speed things up a lot

Funny, I was just thinking about a Microsoft video from a decade ago when they first started allowing blobs in DBs, poking fun at NoSQL concepts and the like, something about a DBA having a scrooge-esque nightmare and waking up to find that MS had bought Great Plains and all was wellā€¦ or somethingā€¦ I think it was re. the launch of SQL2012

Pretty wild Steve!

Welcome to the randomly accessed memories/voices in my headā€¦ :roll_eyes::yum:

ima need @Jason_Woods to calm down. smoking everybody out here :laughing:

The first 3 days I did in Excel. So much easierā€¦ The new ones were a lot of code, but once I saw the math work, I saw some could have been a lot simpler. But refactoring one time use code is not my cup oā€™ teaā€¦