Any way to Export / Copy Field Level Security

Does anyone know of a way to copy or export field level security?

??

Try calling
Ice.Proxy.Sec.SecRights.GetRestrictedColumns

with parameters like ā€¦

<parameters>
    <parameter name="companyID" type="System.String"><![CDATA[MC]]></parameter>
    <parameter name="userID" type="System.String"><![CDATA[rdelgado]]></parameter>
    <parameter name="schemaName" type="System.String"><![CDATA[Erp]]></parameter>
    <parameter name="tableName" type="System.String"><![CDATA[Part]]></parameter>
  </parameters>

Hmm I need to move field security from one Db to Anotherā€¦ Not sure this would work

Sounds like a pretty ā€œone offā€ problem. A more adventurous person might try something in SQL.

Itā€™s almost like you want to do DevOps. Create an artifact, save it, deploy it to various locationsā€¦ :thinking:

1 Like

It is actually not one off, we maintain 12 app servers and DB instances of Epicor for development and once development is done, we move that development work wot Test, then Pilot, then Liveā€¦

So if one were doing a bunch of security stuff in Development and needed to move it to Test, then Pilot , then Live one would be screwedā€¦

1 Like

You should be able to do a copy from the list tab in one environment and paste update into the other environment. Itā€™s only table by table, but that works for us here.

It looks like only the exceptions (i.e. non-default settings) are stored in the Ice.SecColumn table.

Can one make a uBAQ in an Ice based table?

I too find myself with the same question. Has anyone come up with a viable way to move from one environment to another?

@josecgomez - How did you handle this? Weā€™re considering opening up BAQ to let someone do their own analysis, and need to restrict access to hundreds of tables related to $ and customersā€¦ I didnā€™t see a DMT for Field Security either, and really donā€™t want to do this manually one table at a timeā€¦

Just to start, for letter Cā€™s:

We did it by hand :sob:

Iā€™m currently working on a customization to automate most of this. Have the same exact problem. Creating a couple functions to remove read access for everything initially for a specific Security Group, then allow access back to tables that I select at mass.

Hopefully I can share this week as its not done yet. Code will be super inefficient.

2 Likes

Chance,

Great! That would be very helpful. Which table is it? Iā€™m not following the bindings shown in field help - Seems to be DBField, but I donā€™t see that table in BAQā€¦

I also created case CS0002619341 - DMT Field Security. Wouldnā€™t it be nice if Epicor just added this table to DMT?

UD03.

Table the DD uses is ZDataField

FieldSecurity records are in Ice.SecColumn

Thanks, Chance. As expected, Epicor came back on the case and said to submit an Ideas request - Please vote on it!

https://epicor-manufacturing.ideas.aha.io/ideas/ERP-I-1750
Add Field Security template to DMT - Please add a Field Security template to DMT. As weā€™re moving more of our information into Epicor, our users are needing more self-serve information, which we can provide with BAQā€™s. We need to restrict confidential information with Field Security access set to ā€˜Noneā€™ on hundreds of financial and customer tables in the development, and then live environments.

By letting us manage field security through DMT, weā€™ll have a much more consistent process, and also save dozens of hours of setting permissions manually, one table at a time (inviting mistakes too).

2 Likes

Voted+3

Sheā€™s a hot disorganized mess but sheā€™s about 95% done. Added a few other features to help others out here as well. Will be documenting and cleaning up the solution in the morning.

2 Likes

Sweet! That looks great. Canā€™t wait to see the finished product. How do you handle ā€œAll Companiesā€? During testing, I realized the default in Field Security is to change it by company, not all companies. So far weā€™re up to about 300 tables that we need to restrict access to. Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s easier to restrict all, and then just give our continuous improvement guy access to the manufacturing ones only, since heā€™s typically working there to improve our processesā€¦

BTW, the ideas is up to 22 votes. Hopefully they add Field Security to the DMT template sooner than later.

I donā€™t really handle it any other way than the BL tester. its a true or false checkbox. Im assuming the way it works is that the company field is just the owning company of the setting, then that checkbox just applies it to others if its checked. This DMT simulation program will super under tested. Either way it will be use at your own risk.

Made a separate post for pushing this out. You can find it here