Basic understanding of Kinetic based UI

Alright cool, good luck with the go live. How many migrations have you done at this point in your career? I still have yet to be a part of a migration.

So many not a clue as a consultant we did a new one every few weeks. Now that I’m no longer doing consulting though is different a lot more skin in this game.

We’ll see how it goes, I’m sure next week is gonna be busy! So if I’m not around the forum you’ll know why hehe

So what’s stopping ya? Best way to learn is to get your hands dirty
Get you a udemy course on angular and get going is actually pretty easy once you get the gist of it.

Maximilian Here is my favorite instructor
https://www.udemy.com/course/the-complete-guide-to-angular-2/
https://www.udemy.com/course/css-the-complete-guide-incl-flexbox-grid-sass/

I recommend his courses they are fun and practical.

And if HTML / CSS seems daunting get those out of the way first.

4 Likes

I like Maximilian mostly, but he moves fast on the HTML parts. Understandably, it’s an Angular course, not an HMTL and Bootstrap lesson, but I find it really makes it slow going for me.

Maybe do the html css bootstrap ones first

No way man, I like to run before I walk, then complain about it :rofl:

Does this method work in 10.2.700 as well?

Brett

1 Like

Yes

I take it the external website cant send data back to the Epicor “Screen” or trigger an event / function in the screen?

Correct, its a one way subscription, your external web app can call a function and other things in Epicor but they won’t directly affect what is displayed on the screen.

Is there a way to access a code layer in a customization? Either generating code from scratch, or accessing code created by the customization tools. Like I assume there is some customization method for Row Rules.

There is no code TBH you don’t need it, the entire epicor kinetic interface screens like Part Entry, Order Entry etc were made using App Studio and the Event and Rules no code.

You can actually see the whole Order Entry Screen “code” (read app studio layout) and how it was made by simply going into developer mode in Order Entry.

2 Likes

What about customizing things like changing a font color or a text box fill or something visual like that after a business logic adapter runs, is that all still possible?

No its a web app the look and feel is set via CSS. You can set certain aspects of the look and feel via row rules as always.

1 Like

Can you add a button to a Kinetic customization? If so, are the actions of its Click event limited to prescribed functions (i.e. other things that you can do in a Kinetic customization)?

You can add a button and the actions are limited to the available actions within the AppStudio. (there’s alot of them)
But yes you can’t just do arbitrary things. However things like raise alerts, errors, call epicor function, call baq, invoke search, call BO etc are all there.

1 Like

This here isn’t Epicors MetaUI/MetaFX Engine – but in a Nutshell the idea is similar.

https://www.metaui.io/

1 Like

I like Pierre’s comment. Does anyone who’s had their hands dirty in Kinetic have a high-level process for taking a highly customized UI that does a bunch of things, and converting / rebuilding in the new system?

Is there still room for functionality in thr UI itself? Or would we be looking at BPMs, functions, etc and just using the UI as, well, UI?

One tiny example is like Pierre, we have a highly customized order entry system, that uses Part, Part Plant, Part Rev, Dynamic Query, and Sales Order adapters so we can enter an order for any site and based on stock, source type, labour and proximity route the order appropriately. This is probably 40% of the Epicor ROI for us.

I guess my question is, can all this be done in the new UI, just differently? Or are we looking at a whole new way of building things?

edit - I see this has been hinted at elsewhere, that logic goes on the server and UI on the screen. I suppose it makes sense.

As of right now there is nearly zero code on the UI but that doesn’t mean you can’t do most of what you’d did before with the available code less widgets