Cost Rollup Question 8.03.407

We're using configured items and depending on the configuration the costs can vary widely. Labor may include adding certain options that may be included on some parts and not others (depending upon options selected at the time of the sales order)
Â
Material costs can also vary greatly, depending upon the cost of the laminates selected as well
Â

--- On Thu, 10/1/09, saab_barracuda <chris.clunn@...> wrote:

Subject: [Vantage] Re: Cost Rollup Question 8.03.407
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, October 1, 2009, 1:01 PM

Â

Cost roll will update standard costs but if using average as your costing method, standard is only for comparison and not used for transactions. You will not see average cost update until you put the part into inventory. By definition, average cost is the average cost of all parts currently on hand in inventory. So if you have never done an inventory transaction, you will have no average cost. It also means that you can't ship directly from WIP if you want the costs to update. So in your case, perhaps your subassemblies have transacted but not finished product.

I have to ask, why are you using average costing for finished goods? Do your labor and or material costs vary a lot from job to job?

--- In vantage@yahoogroups .com, Mark Wagner <mjfw2003@.. .> wrote:
>
> I have an assembly with multiple sub-assemblies and materials. The Top assembly is set to average cost as are all the materials underneath. After doing the cost roll I can see the costs at each of the sublevels and at the materials level but nothing at the top level assembly. Not sure if I am missing something here or not. Should I not be seeing the cost roll at the top level assembly for all the subs and materials?
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
I have an assembly with multiple sub-assemblies and materials. The Top assembly is set to average cost as are all the materials underneath. After doing the cost roll I can see the costs at each of the sublevels and at the materials level but nothing at the top level assembly. Not sure if I am missing something here or not. Should I not be seeing the cost roll at the top level assembly for all the subs and materials?

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Cost roll will update standard costs but if using average as your costing method, standard is only for comparison and not used for transactions. You will not see average cost update until you put the part into inventory. By definition, average cost is the average cost of all parts currently on hand in inventory. So if you have never done an inventory transaction, you will have no average cost. It also means that you can't ship directly from WIP if you want the costs to update. So in your case, perhaps your subassemblies have transacted but not finished product.

I have to ask, why are you using average costing for finished goods? Do your labor and or material costs vary a lot from job to job?

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, Mark Wagner <mjfw2003@...> wrote:
>
> I have an assembly with multiple sub-assemblies and materials. The Top assembly is set to average cost as are all the materials underneath. After doing the cost roll I can see the costs at each of the sublevels and at the materials level but nothing at the top level assembly. Not sure if I am missing something here or not. Should I not be seeing the cost roll at the top level assembly for all the subs and materials?
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>