DB Upgrade error from 10.2.400 to Kinetic 2021.1

Hello folks, we were in the process of installing Kinetic 2021.1 for testing in our on-premises Pilot environment. During the Upgrade Epicor Database step we are getting an error on the DB Migration screen that says: “Version string portion was too short or too long.” and we are unable to continue. The version we are upgrading from is 10.2.400.14 and the ICE version is 3.2.400.14

Has anyone experienced this same issue?

System.Exception: One or more of the tasks have errors or are incomplete.

• at Epicor.Mfg.Administration.ServerManagement.DatabaseManager.Forms.WorkInProgressForm.BackgroundWorker_CallDbMigrationTool(String action, String sqlServerName, String databaseName, String authenticationMode, String userName, SecureString userPassword, DoWorkEventArgs eventArgs, String deploymentDirectory, String targetVersionBasePath)*

• at Epicor.Mfg.Administration.ServerManagement.DatabaseManager.Forms.WorkInProgressForm.BackgroundWorker_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)*

• at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)*

• at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)*

@polarmind I am getting the same issue when trying an upgrade from 10.2.400.10 - have you had any luck yet?

Yes, the root cause was an older entry on the ice.IceVer table referencing SystemVersion = 905xxx. I had sent the contents of that table to Epicor and they asked to remove the record and try the DB upgrade again. Sure enough, after removing it the upgrade process kicked off as is supposed to. They also referenced this article with a similar issue: [PRB0226117] (https://epicorcs.service-now.com/u_task_communication.do?sys_id=9993f1651b01b8106e30fe60cd4bcb08)

Run this script and see if you have some similar entry on the IceVer table:
select * from ice.icever where systemversion=‘905702’

Thanks @polarmind I looked in that table and assumed it was something there and the 905702 line was the row i had my eye on :slight_smile: and asked Epicor support if I was on the right track but you have replied 1st!

Your EpicCare link doesn’t work for me but I will update my ticket and let’s see what they say

Thanks again, am sure this post will help lots of users!

Phil

Hi Phil, try this link to the KB article: PRB0226117 | Task Communication | EpicCare (service-now.com)

https://epicorcs.service-now.com/u_task_communication.do?sys_id=9993f1651b01b8106e30fe60cd4bcb08

@polarmind no joy! I searched EpicCare in the problems and knowledgebase too but nothing appears - gotta love it!

If you could copy and paste the contents that would be good…

Phil

Here you go, not much detail there but…

No probs, have shared all of this with Epicor Support - appreciate you coming back to me!