Documentation on where a business object is called from

I know how to use tracing to figure out what business objects are called by a certain action.

However, in migrating BPMs to E10 I need to do this opposite - I have a BPM and in order to test it I need to know what actions to perform in order to get the business object invoked. In some cases I can guess from the business object name, turn on tracing, perform the action I think might call it, and then check the trace log and see if I was right. However, other times I have no idea where to look.

Is there documentation somewhere that is organized by business object that gives me an idea of what screens and actions call it? If not, how can I find out? For one off that I can figure out I can just ask someone, but I would rather learn how to figure this out myself than continually pestering somebody.

I don’t know of anything like that existing, but you could utilize the Business Logic Tester to invoke the method on which the BPM exists.

I’m not sure how to get access to BLTester. A cursor search of the filesystem on the server doesn’t yield any results. Any pointers on where to look?

2 Likes

On the app server, it should exist under the Utilities folder of the install.

1 Like

This is great, but I have no idea what parameters to pass - as opposed to the actual screen where there are fields that at least let me easily guess something. :slight_smile:

Yeah you’ll still need to fiddle around with it to make it work, but sometimes that’s easier than trying to track down the UI form + specific action needed to invoke that method

I’m not sure if there really is a replacement for experience on this. If you have a BPM but don’t know what it does or why it’s there, you are going to have a hard time.

It’s not really possible to have a comprehensive list of where that BO is called because it could be added by the user in a BPM, Customization, or external integration. And actually, that’s one of the strength of BPM’s is that it doesn’t matter where it’s called from, it will still be in effect.