Epicor Securities - yay

I really wish Epicor would get thier crap together when it comes to fields that link from other records. Example: the Reports To field in Person Contact Maintenance screen which is free form text compared to the Reports To field in Work Force Maintenance which is a drop down menu that grabs the employee linked to the company access listing that comes from the User ID Maintenance.

Feature request:
Make one form that I can fill out all the info that is either a link or a dependency field between these elements: User ID, person/contact, employee, workforce, buyer. Going to all these different forms just to have to guess at what fields link to each other is a pain during the creation. Especially in multi-company with global per/con records.

Exact email I sent our internal teams:

I felt this was important enough to type up to show some of the intricacies with Epicor securities. I know its long but it is worth the read.

Some of you ask me why we don’t have the Epicor security process fully documented yet. Some of you ask why Level 1 Service Desk isn’t taking on Epicor user id creation yet. Some of you periodically ask me why we aren’t utilizing DMT files for loading user ids, employees, person/contact, workforce etc. Well, I am continuing to load them manually while documenting everything. The current sprint story I am working on for Doug helped shed even more light on why I don’t use DMT files and why we don’t have Level 1 Service Desk isn’t taking on Epicor user id creation yet: To do the DMTs is just as much if not more confusing than the manual process below. Why? Because every dang record is linked and every link has a primary key field and some of those primary key fields have to be done in sequential order. There are too many layers and dependencies of securities and they are all linked. Then add in multi-company and global record functionality to boot.

Doug’s request: take this list of 20ish sales users and start loading workforce records in company 004 and 018. Simple right? Not so much…. This is why we made this a 21 point story.

I have to first ask: is the associate already in Epicor and what company access do they already have? That kind helps define what they need and what company access they may already have before I even start.

1. In order to load Workforce, I need a person/contact record… fine
  2. In order to load the authorized user for Workforce, I need a user id, fine…
  3. In order to load the user id, I need an employee, fine
  4. In order to load the employee, I also need the person/contact record, argh… fine
  5. In order to load the person/contact record at the child company, I need to load the person/contact record at company 003 and mark it “global” so it can be linked
  6. If I do that I may as well load the employee in company 003 too, but wait I need the supervisor field set on the employee record
  7. In order to load the supervisor, I need to load the employee record for the supervisor, which means I need to load the person/contact for the supervisor at company 003 and mark it “global” first… Sigh
  8. Great, now I have the global person/contact record at company 003 marked “global” for the supervisor, now I can create the supervisor’s employee record
  9. Now I have the supervisor’s employee record but it has no supervisor assigned, Ugh
  10. OK fine, I will deal with setting all of those recursively on up the org chart tree later….
  11. But I could save some time going forward by taking this 20ish associate listing and put them in org chart reporting order and work top down, that would help a little…
  12. Go back to the employee record and set the supervisor, dang it, get an error… on the supervisor’s employee record I forgot to check the “supervisor” checkbox on that employee record because that is required, fine
  13. Open the supervisor’s employee record again and check the “supervisor” checkbox and save the record
  14. Now I can open up the employee record again and set their supervisor, woooo finally
  15. But wait, the person/contact record I created needs the Role set now because the Role is what is passed onto the workforce record, wonderful
  16. Set the Role on the person/contact record at company 003 so it is there, and may as well go back to the supervisors person/contact record and set the Role there too since I have that info… good done
  17. Now I can make the user id right? Well kind of… The user id holds the security groups and the company access list, the company list is where you set the employee record link for each company in the access list.
  18. Ok so let’s wait on the user id for now I guess because that just makes sense
  19. So now I may as well load the person/contact record at the child company and link it to the global record in company 003 just so I can set the Role, then I can also create the employee record at the child company
  20. Ok the person/contact record is created and set with a Role at the child company and linked to the global record, onto the employee record at the child company…
  21. Oh dang it, I need to have the supervisor employee record in the child company…… /facepalm
  22. Dang it again, need the person/contact record for the supervisor at the child company in order to create the supervisors employee record
  23. Ok I have the person/contact record and the employee record for the supervisor at the child company, now back to the employee record so I can set the supervisor field
  24. Dang it, forgot to set the supervisor checkbox on the supervisors employee record first… again…… /doublefacepalm, ok done
  25. Now back to the employee record so I can set the supervisor field for real this time, ok done
  26. Oh yea…. I will deal with setting all of those supervisors recursively on up the org chart tree in the child company later…. Ugh
  27. On to the workforce record in the child company!
  28. Create workforce record, reference the person/contact at the child company, and sweet: the Role field came in as expected
  29. But wait the Reports To field isn’t filled out… dang it
  30. Do I set it here or set it at the person/contact record… no wait. Those fields actually don’t link?… wonderful
  31. Set the Reports To field drop-down on the workforce record and remembered to check the “All Territories” checkbox and click Save, HA
  32. Now I need to add the authorized user to the workforce record… what the crap, the drop-down doesn’t have the employee in it? Oh yea, this pulls from the user id, and the company access list… argh
  33. Create the user id record, set the security groups, add the child company into the access list and add the proper site access…
  34. Now, because I already created the employee record in this child company I can find the employee to choose from the employee drop-down from within the company access list…. Yay that works
  35. Now I go back to the workforce record and add the authorized user, wow look at that, I can find the name in the list now because their user id now has access to this company and the employee is set under the company access listing
  36. Neat. I am done with this employee… wait, nope… this was only one company they need access to…… now I need to repeat the process for the other companies they also need access to…
  37. Time to create the workforce record… wait…. Need user id… wait… need employee… wait… need person/contact
  38. Well at least they already have a global person/contact record at company 003 so that helps
  39. Go to the other child company, create a person/contact record, link it to the global person/contact record from company 003, set the Role
  40. Create the employee, set the supervisor…. Wait… no supervisor employee record in this child company… so that means I also need the supervisor person/contact record first… and remember to check the “supervisor” checkbox, OMG….

Time to get more caffeine, put the headphones on and block out the world…. Because getting through more than a few employees is going to take some concentration….

And no, trying to use DMTs doesn’t really help, because I would have to have the global person/contact ids, all of person/contact ids at each child company, all of the employee ids, all of the supervisor employee ids, the user ids, the company access list for each user id, the site access list for each user id. Then in order to load them the same sequence of dependencies applies: the DMTs would have to be loaded in sequence so that all the records are available in order to link to the other records and global records. If one number is off then you have incorrect employees linked to the wrong global employee record. Then this requires a manual un-link and re-link to fix it. Also, the employee DMT file has to be in the recursive org chart order from top down, or else it errors and the employee supervisor fields/records don’t load. And don’t forget to mark all of the supervisors with the “supervisor” checkbox or else it also fails to load. It’s just a mess.

My effort right now is attempting to document the manual process and all of the dependencies, because sequence of these events are greatly important to be successful.

1 Like

Did you want to just soap box or did you have a question I’m not sure yet? If it’s a soap box please move it to off topic.

3 Likes

Or feature suggestion. You have a few of my favorites in there. A nice wish list of items you can post under suggestions would be welcome.

2 Likes

41 Add to this, “Do they have login credentials” because not all Employee records will (MES users often share a login).
42 And is this person a Buyer? Have to be an authorized user there.

Dude. We need a PowerShell script.

Move this to Enhancement Requests IMHO…

1 Like

don’t even get me going on MES permissions and all those Employee record checkboxes and dependencies from one tab to the others… took us awhile to figure that out as well.

Helpful tip: when you check “supervisor” on the Employee record, Epicor takes it upon itself to automatically create a Workforce record. What does it use as the Workforce ID? The Employee ID. Why does it do this? Who knows, but it does.

I moved this thread to Feature Requests and Suggestions so others can provide their experiences.

Thanks

5 Likes

We have been trying to toss around ideas internally on how we could attempt to script some of this and have some criteria questions to ask that would determine and set some of these values and fields. Just spit balling so far though.

1 Like

Tabs on the “User Security” for Employee, Buyer, EWB, Inspector, etc…

2 Likes

Yep. User management - Yuuuuge!
And no one mentioned menu mgmt - by department or function (including context menus - which I’ll add to this forum as an independent request).

The ability to create users, secure them, and manage all of those settings in an organization with lots of people in lots of positions… whew!