Error Copying to Excel

Nice!

NotWorthy

2 Likes

LOL @Mark_Wonsil! Awww! Thanks! :blush: Party on Wayne!

1 Like

Does E10 not have just a copy and/or a copy with headers? Would that work?

1 Like

Yes, good point. It sure does have those features. :slight_smile: And they do seem to still work thankfully.

But you know users, can’t live with them, can’t live without them…LOL :slight_smile: If they are used to a quick and easy feature that will automatically open Excel directly from Epicor without them having to first open an Excel instance and then copy and paste the data to that instance. Well then it is Armageddon if it doesn’t work. At least that’s been my experience. But yes, those features are there and they do seem to still work so that’s good! :wink:

2 Likes

Great workaround Heather!

1 Like

Thank you @josecgomez!!! :smiley:

1 Like

I had doubts about Heather on the forums… not anymore… awesomesauce @ERPSysAdmin

6 Likes

LMBO @hkeric.wci!!! Oh you!

That was a joke…right???

3 Likes

I only have so many of these to hand out in a week, but, that was some grade A troubleshooting and workaround-fu. Nicely done :ok_hand: :smiley:

4 Likes

Anyone who quotes Kermit the Frog in public is aces in MY book…

2 Likes

Also, my experience is that when you Open With Excel it preserves the column formatting where as a simple Copy (With or without headers) doesn’t preserve the formatting as well. Dates in Copy/Paste appear as 2/5/2018 0:00 and numeric text is treated like numbers…

Mark W.

2 Likes

LOL!!! Wow! Thanks @aidacra!!!

I’d like to thank the academy, and my parents, and my runaway dog, Daisy May, and my Aunt Lulu who couldn’t be here tonight because her bunions were flaring up…for believing in me. That I could bumble my way through and get frustrated with my Alt+Print Screen feature and accidentally hold down the Alt key just long enough to trigger a solution to all the worlds problems. LOL!!! :joy:

BTW, can I trade these stars in on some Epicor products? :wink:

6 Likes

Hey now… why does @hkeric.wci have 5 likes on his post!? Are ya’ll trying to tell me something? I’m gonna develop a complex here… :grimacing: LOL

2 Likes

So I got curious as to who is at “Fault” here (Excel or Epicor) and why does @ERPSysAdmin workaround works…
Ran Proc Mon (Handy Little Utility)
http://jcg.pictures/gdgfJP1X8Sc.png
Looks like our friendly Epicor creates the Excel file … and then unceremoniously deletes its :joy:

Further investigation yields that Epicor is perhaps not completely at Fault. Being “Good Citizens” since they are creating a “Temp File” they register an Event (intent) to be notified when Excel is Done with it (when Excel Closes) and then they run a CleanUp Utility to delete said temp file. Kudos EPICOR!!

The issue I think arises IF there’s already an open instance of Excel, basically Excel on the Microsoft side is “Clever” and says Hey no need to open a new one of those, we’ve got one already and hands off the “Handling” of the Request to the existing Excel instance, which causes our newly started Process to “Exit” which then Epicor interprets as “Clean Up Isle 6”

Heather’s work around , works because holding down Alt tells excel that you want a “Special” excel instance and thus Microsoft scoffs at you for wasting resources and lets you carry on your merry way with your “new” Epicor Instance.

This is all inference from looking at the code and process behavior but I think that’s where the issue is at, I’m curious if this can be replicated if there is absolutely positively no Excel.exe process already running… (I wasn’t able to make it happen except when there is already an excel process running), but it could also be that Microsoft or Windows is firing the Exited event early…

12 Likes

You epiusers.help folks sure are blowing my budget on these

6 Likes

Unless you’re allergic to awesomesauce, you shouldn’t get a complex! :trophy::medal_sports:

4 Likes

Oh my gosh @josecgomez! Really Cool to see what you observed and why the Alt - Open New Excel instance works!!! :sunglasses::+1:

2 Likes

Ok here is a “permanent work around”
Aparently Microsoft got yelled at for this already.

Simply add the attached Key (Registry Key) to your Machine (note this is for Office 2016 and please don’t take my word for this, test your crap before you break your crap

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Excel\Options]
"FirstRun"=dword:00000000
"MsoTbCust"=dword:00000008
"Options5"=dword:00000080
"OptionFormat"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
"Pos"="2226,180,1440,759"
"ShowLensTooltip"=dword:00000000
"DDECleaned"=dword:00000001
"StickyPtX"=dword:000003a0
"StickyPtY"=dword:0000021c
"Maximized"=dword:00000003
"DefaultSheetR2L"=dword:00000000
"UseSystemSeparators"=dword:00000001
"ThousandsSeparator"=","
"DecimalSeparator"="."
"DisableMergeInstance"=dword:00000001

8 Likes

Awesome!! that worked! but… would that cause out-of-memory issue in Excel in a long run?

If you plan on running hundreds of these at the same time… yes but not likely.