In defense of Epicor ERP's accounting system (please)

Especially if you do drop ships as well…

I would like to just drop in my 2 cents.

The first company that I worked for out of college is a very well known manufacturer, is truly global, and long time fortune 500 company. I worked there for almost 12 years in various roles. They ran SAP and I had a passing knowledge of the system as a whole. Knowing how SAP did accounting is what made me learn the Epicor structure so quickly.

Let me say that again, Epicor and SAP are very similar structurally.

I think the best thing to say to those people is that Epicor is built to business standards and can run billion $ companies. While they may not have experienced that type of environment, they need to open their minds to new ways of doing business or eventually fail.

Only the companies that work on process and procedures survives, all others that do not eventually go under. I worked at a company that had 1000% + margin and I worked at a company who would do backflips if they got 8%. Only one of them is still in business today; the 8%.

4 Likes

Oh, one more thing I just remembered!

Epicor is SOX compliant when set up correctly.

2 Likes

Jason,

Accountants are very set in their ways and I can speak from Experience as that is how I started my career. Epicor is a little lean in the redesigned reports but with SSRS and Dashboards as long as they know what they want it can be done for them. Dynamics was only an accounting system and pretty easy to use but worthless for anything else in the big picture. Through education and getting help from a consultant you should be able to get everything they need. Posting immediatly in a real time non batching system is not a good thing, too busy. Once they make the change and get used to it they will buy in. Just be patient and work with them to set up the reporting they need…good luck

1 Like

fantastic thread, bookmarked and thank you!

Great thread! I will pile on here as well…

1. Wip Cost Capture does more than simply post to the GL… it actually consolidates the transactions into journals before posting. so you might have 10000 issues from Stock to WIP, and 1000 receipts from WIP to FG Stock. These will be consolidated down to a handful of GL Transactions. You can see these by looking at the journal, and see the FULL DETAIL if you really want.
  2. LABOR… Note that Labor is caputed in “real time” but there are some labor transactions that do not know their true value until the person logs out completely for the day… this happens because the system allows labor to be posted for multiple jobs. In order to calculate how much labor goes to each job (and therefore to specific wip accounts) the person must clock out to calculate how much gets spread to each job proportionately. THEN… there are those Labor Corrections (Unless your shop floor is 100% correct in all transactions). Correct times, correct quantities, Are you backflushing? If so… if the user enters the incorrect qty (1000 instead of 10) then amount of labor/materials issued to the job is completely wrong. By delaying the GL post, we don’t need to post all these corrections to the GL… only the final corrected number.
  3. Part Recost & Physical Inventory adjustments… when you do a recost, or when you post your physical inventory with 1000s of adjustments, you simply don’t want that detail to go to the GL… it is summarized before posting.
    OK… that is just a few reasons. I will get off the soapbox now.
6 Likes

Nice thread.

Having worked in more than 5 ERP products, I like Epicor for its flexibility in customising GL posting which no other system can match especially adding GL context. It’s very powerful but whether most customers need it is another discussion. Once understand how Epicor works in terms of hierarchy, then it’s easy.

1. I would like Epicor to implement the concept of instant posting if the summarized GL posting is not set up for Inventory WIP as most of the issues around subsystem to GL comes back to this as the GL description is very generic. But the downside is if the GL account is not available in PO, then the user can’t receive it.
  2. For Hierarchy, it is better to create a flow chart and train the users so that they know where to look for in case of any issue
  3. Regarding inventory, it requires discipline in setting up Account Segment Entry Restrictions for reconciliation accounts, customizations like whether Part Class is inventory or consumables, BPMs like Qty bearing must ticked for Stock Part Class, etc will help in inventory reconciliations. But this will be an issue with any ERP product.
2 Likes

My latest journey in posting rules is setting a dynamic for salesperson. Capture the P&L plus expenses to see how each rep is doing .

The ability to customize your accounting is really important.

2 Likes

The gripe around here is “but I could do blah blah in Quickbooks” … I’ve stopped responding to that…

1 Like

What about Peachtree? :slight_smile:

Oh yeah! Forgot about Peachtree! That’s the first accounting system I ever used… early 90’s I believe… geez I’m getting old…

kids these days… One-Write was the way we were brought up

1 Like

Could you resend link. i wanted to see your link but it doesnt work anymore