Insights 2023 - After Action Report

Ok, this is intended to be a serious thread, no :dumpster_fire:

Yes, I know that is rich, coming from me.

Anyway, this was my first Insights and I did get to learn a lot, and meet a lot of interesting
people.

I was hoping we could use this thread for serious discussion of anything learned at Insights 2023.

2 Likes

I learned the difference between Rest v1 and v2.

5 Likes

I attended a session on the Architecture of Automation Studio/Workato.
I found that actually very interesting. I hope to be able to do a deep dive.
I’m not sure if it’s something my company needs or is willing to purchase
yet, but I really want to dig into it.

I got to talk to a few people about Grow. That looks very promising.

I also found this really interesting Quality Management software, which
looks to be exactly what my company is looking for, or at least damn close.
I’m going to be scheduling some demos for it if I can:

3 Likes

I also learned, that any of you that have any clout with the crew that schedules Epicor Insights,
please let them know they really, really, really need to do a better job scheduling the
Customer Led sessions.

They are definitely some of the best sessions at Insights, and they basically scheduled most of
them at the same times. Very hard to pick and chose, so you miss things you really wanted to see.

9 Likes

Workato - we have a license but the deep-dive and architecture sessions were very informative and gave me more ideas on how it will help us.

eFlex - now Epicor Process Control (or something) looks like a must have for me. Between in process quality checks, skill level based JWI and being able to replace the MES screens - this checks off multiple boxes. I did learn that we need to wait until later this year for the full integration back to ERP though.

ETQ - @klincecum and I talked to those guys and I agree - it’s pretty slick and has a LOT of modules. We will probably also check them out a bit further as a contrast to eFlex.

Grow - I have EDA and like it, but I think Grow will be easier for my users. However, the current interface with ERP and the licensing models are being reworked and I think it will be end of year, beginning of next year before that is where I need it to be. If any of you are considering it, talk to the Product Manger about the specifics.

3 Likes

Agree. Did you fill out the survey?

What were the big Epicor Ideas closed?

@Rich was mentioning that there would be fewer pets and more cattle. :popcorn:

I sent them an email directly to insights@epicor.com. It was easier than detailing it in the survey.

2 Likes

I may have missed it, but I don’t recall any big deal made on that topic.

1 Like

I agree - I don’t recall anything specific being said other than them talking about how many bug fixes and stuff got taken care of - like close to 200 documented problems were fixed in .1 with more to come in .2.

Time to get out of our comfort zones!!!

In order for this to really, really, work. We need more of us doing presentations!!! And giving session feedback to the customer led items. Not just overall feedback.

Every topic is good enough. Folks attending the sessions will help keep things moving along, so don’t worry.

3 Likes

They’ve always done that for some reason. Most of the customer led sessions are Wednesday and Thursday, and the Epicor led ones are Tuesday and some Wednesday. Obviously not a hard and fast rule, but that seems to be how they have them scheduled. Not sure why, but I’ve just come to expect it.

One of the things that I picked up was the possibility of Collaborate being a nice way communicate to break out of email chains and to keep things closely linked to the actual problem. Is looks very flexible, so I believe that a lot of the onus in success is going to be the company and how they implement/build the culture around how it’s used. They did a nice job on the session (I really need to go back and do the survey for that one)

2 Likes

I’m going to need a year off. :sweat:

In all seriousness, I agree. The customer led ones are generally all I go to these days. The Epicor ones are great for people that have never used Epicor before, but they get old fast.

6 Likes

Was there any news on a Cloud Portal?

1 Like

Being able to copy a subquery.

Yes @Mark_Wonsil - but not too much detail. Just basics and promises for the fall time frame - so I heard.

2 Likes

I wanted to get a clearer roadmap for cloud hosting (Self Host vs Epicor). I think the Epicor cloud hosting options provide a lot more flexibility then my previous review.

The Browser UX looks like it is maturing as well. The interface looks more familiar and have a better idea of what it would take to begin moving in that direction. Now I might begin learning App Studio.

These two topics play very closely in the same sandbox.

While the conference didn’t offer too many new bells and whistles I was very impressed with the new features and enhancements made to the existing ERP product. Auto allocations is gonna be slick!
The sessions @timshuwy presented on Whats New in Kinetic for Manufacturing could have been presented on the big stage. Thanks again for listening to the user community Tim, happy to see the impact you are having on the ERP product.

5 Likes

@Banderson Totally agree - I forgot to add this to my list. I think that keeping corporate data, especially decision driving data, closely held to the transaction is a good way to keep things tight, and safe. I hate the idea that customer communications and decisions are all in some Outlook datafile somewhere that we’ll never ever be able to find.

3 Likes

Yes. A million times yes.

Outook files that are 50Gb + 100GB archive file that should be company shared documents stored by part/customer/PO

Our Purchasing department is guilty of this and it drives me nuts.

1 Like

Mostly repeat topics but looking to explore DS panel and Grow

2 Likes