Insights 2023 - After Action Report

Please do. I would be thrilled if you taught a class, any class.

1 Like

For better or worse, I think they’re pretty happy with the level of those classes.
A LOT of the audience is either non-technical people that wanna pick up some side skills or new customers that are seeing this stuff for the very first time.

I’m sure I’m not the only one that’s been pestering them for more hardcore content over the years. We’ve seen some minor concessions, but I think they just don’t see value in catering to the noisy hackers. Plus, anything that comes out of Epicor’s mouth ends up being something they have to support, caveats and safe harbor statements be damned. They just don’t want a buncha customers calling in with problems related to some code snippet they got at Insights or some undocumented ‘feature’ they cajoled out of a random dev.

I suspect we’ll have to continue relying on customers (and those damn consultants!) for the down and dirty stuff.

5 Likes

The Customer-Led sessions have been the best for experienced Epicor users. As @Waffqle_De_LaCroix says, the Epicor led ones are more geared to new or prospective Epicor customers.

Auto-Allocate seems like a great feature we’ll have to explore more here.

A few I wrote down:

• You can use Ctrl-K to open a “command prompt” and search the menu tree. As well as enable debug and likely more.
  • There is a Chrome plug in, “Resource Downloader” that gets you the JSON loaded in a windows. SaaS customers can now see Kinetic metafx files for troubleshooting.
  • From @timshuwy; When making BAQs for Dashboards with Publish/Subscribe grids use SysRowID as it’s indexed. This should make the Dashboard/BAQs faster.
7 Likes

What do these do? Are they in the help?

1 Like

They’re just ways of accessing things.

The first two, if that’s what you’re referencing, dumps the views to Dev Tools and the second turns on debugging. Same thing as CTRL+ALT+V and CTRL+ALT+8.

Y’all act like this wasn’t shown to you back in March. :stuck_out_tongue: Come on!

Kinetic Web UI Command Palette - Kinetic 202X - Epicor User Help Forum (epiusers.help)

1 Like

That’s how I learned about it. I showed it to my boss, and he brought it up in one of the sessions last week, and it spread from there. The Epicor team didn’t seem to know about it.

Must have been put in by some rogue developer :slight_smile:

1 Like

For some reason, I love this.

I actually missed that thread so it was news to me. Figured you’d known about it before me though. :wink:

Honestly, as a dev, it sounds like something I would do during testing of my code. I would get tired of navigating the trees and what not. “Hey–let’s add a command palette, so I can type this shit in and go!”

It’s a constant cycle, but the outcomes are great

1 Like

I did ask around… several developers DID know about it… but not everyone.

bbc three amber GIF by BBC

@hmwillett: Secret for 2023.2:

(safe harbor :safe_harbor: )

You know Tim there are algorithms that can unscramble that now….:thinking: give me a bit :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Missed that totally. :frowning:

Can you share some more information on this?

What the??? did I miss something here

Led by @hmwillett Yes please!!! That’s right I am saying this now… I am going. Epicor Insights with 10 EpiUsers sessions instead of just 2…Perhaps… People get your thinking caps on… I have one idea already…

2 Likes

Ive already got my title card for the slideshow: “Worst Practices that somehow still Work”

5 Likes