Insights 2023 - After Action Report

That was Eli Whalen, one of the guys on our team.

Basically, it finds all the server side files referenced by the current page and pulls em down and drops em in a directory on your PC. From there, you can crack em open and start poking.

Usage is super simple, but drop a note here if you get any surprises and we’ll try to help.

1 Like

Enjoy him before Microsoft steals him. That guy is going places.

It was really nice to meet all of you.

2 Likes

The Action Report from me is, I didnt attend but I have increased my Patreon Contribution because of Kevin dammit Kevin!

3 Likes

That sounds like something we need, @timshuwy can you point me to some resources for this please.

We went with a large group (4 IT, 2 operations, 1 finance)

I’m spending a lot of time to get us into CPQ, so it was a good show for me. Lots of CPQ stuff. Here is my big hint for Insights. Talk to the support guys. They have their hands in Kinetic all day. They often know the details better than the senior guys. (Sorry Tim, I know you are on this thread) Corey and Sal gave me solutions to problems many others could not.

The finance person we brought did not have such a good time. Not many sessions and even some of those conflict. They were not run by finance people. Those sessions were approached from a system point of view rather than a finance point of view. She is a Kinetic savvy finance person and most things were too basic for her.

I think Grow will be great in 2-3 years. It is at the same point that CPQ/KBMax was 2 years ago. We are just starting CPQ now. I’ll look seriously at Grow in 2025.

2 Likes

Does anybody have the slides from @amurdock’s presentation on the HTML markup email alerts? @josecgomez

1 Like

Insights23-AMurdock.pptx (3.7 MB)

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

I learned that going to your first-ever conference on your first-ever time in Vegas by yourself isn’t entirely advisable. But I also learned that Epicor support are wonderful people. Also Alex showed me Generate for Design and that has changed my life.

4 Likes

I’ll tell you one thing, dealing with ETQ turns out to be ridiculously frustrating. Email response is 2-3 days. The sales process and technical review made it seem like they integrate with Epicor twice a day and 3 times on Wednesdays, but they have no expertise in that area at all - or at least, they’re hiding it really well.

They have so far refused to give me admin access to the DEV environment, where I’m sure I could get the issue sorted faster than their (offshore, subcontracted, unresponsive) technical staff.

When they try to use our API they get “200 OK” but no data. This is very unlikely to be Rock Surgery.

I opened a ticket with Epicor seeing as we bought the software through them, and to give credit where due, Epicor took a lot of time to step through my setup to ensure the issue isn’t on our end. But once they sent it to the ETQ team the communication died a horrible death.

For all I know, my on-prem, LDAP, RDS deployment is too weird and wonderful. I would be happy to learn, but unless they step up and actually engage, we’ll never even know.

Very unimpressed so far, $40k or so later.

Well so much for that dream.

Thanks for the update and reality check.

Let us know if service improves.

I have to update this. ETQ’s service level is an absolute gong show. I will never complain about Epicor’s service again.

And to that point, one Mike Chan at Epicor deserves a shout-out for exceptional service, patiently stepping through our dev system to be sure it’s set up properly (it was) and running interference to ensure ETQ’s service team knows what they’re doing (they don’t). He made himself available for a joint call with ETQ but they take days to respond to emails, so who knows if that meeting will even occur It’s a crying shame because the software looks pretty useful, but the company - or at least our contacts - are just unresponsive.

For context, I need about an hour’s admin access to test out a couple of ways of entering our API details in their dev environment, and they not only won’t grant that, their technician cannot follow instructions (to do it for me) and their whole team seems to think 2-3 days is ok for response time.

2 Likes

Dang it, it looked so promising.