Kinetic Print Screen - Client Printer List spinning

Anyone ever have the client printer list just spin and spin and spin and never load up the available networked printers on a Kinetic print screen? This happens to random users, randomly. They will get into the office, go to print something from a Kinetic print screen and the client printer list will never display.

They cancel, do a print preview, then print from there, but this is frustrating to them.

Any ideas? We’ve reduced the networked printers on the workstation to a minimum and rebooted machines, still sometimes this issue just pops up again.

Thanks.
-Adam

1 Like

Happens with us all the time. Some users are very frustrated because of this. Regarding networked printers they have to be set up in Epicor under Printer Maintenance.

Once we left it spinning all night, still no luck.

Vinay Kamboj

1 Like

Yeah, it is super annoying. We do have server printers setup, but the server print button is nested on the Kinetic screens and the fastest button to click is the client printer.

I’m considering switching every Kinetic print screen back to classic.

1 Like

Kinetic 2022.2.17

Old Thread but I just ran into this issue on the latest version of Kinetic. Seems Epicor still has not fixed this issue. Switching it back to the classic UI fixed the problem.

1 Like

The Edge Agent needs to be installed on each computer and at a network location.

2 Likes

Thanks for this! I did do the install on the client and it now loads the printer on the client, however it takes it about 20-30 seconds of spinning before it loads the printer in the below view. Is this normal? I would think it should find the printer instantly?

I have seen it take some time to load the list. Curious how many entries you have in there?

3 printers. The default one is physically connected to the client.

That does seem a long time for 3 printers. I am not technical, but maybe there are settings somewhere you could play with?

I am still getting this as well… anyone have any ideas? We are on prem. Aren’t installing the edge agent everywhere… I’m not sure if that’s necessary or not.

1 Like

Yeah we are too and no we don’t have any solutions yet :expressionless:

I’m going to re-phrase what I got from support:

“It’s environment related,” so it’s on us y’all.

The suggestions:

1. Utilize the web client for your printing needs.
    OR
  2. Opt for the Classic UI to facilitate printing.
    OR
  3. Make repeated attempts, as once the printer list is successfully loaded, it should populate instantly in subsequent attempts.

Hello All,

Here are some notes from my IT director who was also testing it out trying to get anything to work to stop the printing… He did find something odd that seemed to speed it up, but it was quite the dance…

I thought the edge agent was only needed by Cloud to be able to set up network printers and use them. If you are on prem, can’t you still just set up a network print server to control all of your printing?

1 Like

Yeah my IT director was just trying anything and everything to see if it made a difference.

You are right though.

If anyone who has spinning when loading printers could try the steps in this post and let us know if you get better results that would be cool.

Then we can tell Epicor there is something that kinda solves it and maybe they get closer to resolving the issue.

Note that the EDGE agent is NOT just for cloud. it is an agent that installs at the client to enable the BROWSER to talk to your client machine to do things that otherwise is prohibited by a browser. EDGE enables Kinetic from a browser to access your system to upload/download documents, access printers etc. it is becoming more and more important as we proceed down the Kinetic road.
EXAMPLE: Starting in Kinetic 2023.2 (:safe_harbor:) we are introducing “browser first mode” which allows you and your users to log into Kinetic in a browser, and then subsequently launch Classic screens (smart client) if you still are using the classic screen customization. This browser first mode requires the Edge agent to allow the browser to launch the classic screen.

3 Likes

Thanks Tim. We tried from the browser and it works with the edge agent, but not sure what’s going on when using the client + kinetic forms and causing spinning.

Thanks for the explanation Tim!!

After some research, I found that this was a known issue and has been retro-fixed back to 2023.1.11 and 2022.2.25
We are putting it through a second round of QA to make sure that it also works with our new “Browser First” mode in 2023.2.

Browser First” is a new feature that will be released in 2023.2. With this new feature, ALL users will be able to log into Kinetic via a browser. If one of the applications that they need to run is still only available in the Smart Client, then Kinetic will launch the smart client app via the Edge Agent.

1 Like