Login Freeze - Spinning wheel

Has anyone run into a problem where when someone logs into Epicor, they get to the Main Menu, but get a spinning blue wheel?
I’m thinking that it might be a cache issue? But when we put a ticket into Epicor, the answer was to:

• Create a folder on the desktop
  • Copy saas.sysconfig
  • Past and rename saas.sysconfig
  • Edit saas.sysconfig
  • Change the “AlternateCacheFolder” to the new desktop folder you created
  • Save
  • Login again

We are on Enterprise Cloud, and are having this happen more and more with users.

I’m wondering if it is building cache throughout the session and by the time they exit, when they log back in, it has a lot of cache to load so it just spins? I don’t know.

Maybe we need to create a BPM or something on exit from Epicor to clear cache?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

We are on prem and I see this. I see it more often when Epicor doesn’t have my window focus as it launches from the smart client using the kinetic menu. I have seen it a handful of times in the browser but not nearly as often.

Usually restarting Epicor works and I can get in. On occasion that has not worked and I do what we call here the “nuclear cache clear”

1. Go to C:\Users%USERNAME%\AppData\Local and delete the “Epicor” folder
  2. Go to C:\Users%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Temp folder and delete all contents skipping any locked files.
  3. Re-test for the issue

If issue persists

giphy1

4 Likes

Thank you for confirming this. I thought maybe it was just me.

I’m on ticket #3 for this. Our users don’t have rights to make changes in %appdata% and besides most users in general aren’t savvy enough for cache clearing to be a realistic solution.

Where this gets really nasty though - check session manager after this happens and that session is killed. Epicor applies a license before it launches. Releasing the license is controlled by the client. When Epicor fails to launch and the client never exists to recall its session, session management locks down a license until it times out.

I’ll have to observe that next time I have it happen.

Do any of you get a long wait when printing every once in a while too?

I know that has been around, but I hadn’t dealt with it until I was on Kinetic… maybe it’s the app server config or task agent config/setup.

The implication was for sure that this would not be a user administered process.

Maybe we are talking about different scenarios. Epicor is launching in my case and I can close the client but the menu never loads, just the spinning blue in Epicor happens. Like below

1 Like

Yes that’s what I am talking about as well @jgiese.wci

That’s our scenario too! When it looks like that it’s already sitting on an “active” license. After the process is killed because it’s gone unresponsive that license stays “active” in session manager until it times out. Killing healthy sessions from task manager does this too.

1 Like

I guess I haven’t noticed any issues with licenses. I just close the client like normal and relaunch it and we run out licenses really tight.

1 Like

I’m curious if there’s a way to simply clear cache on exit automatically, perhaps a BPM of some kind?

Welcom Joseph!

Maybe, but not a BPM

Possible to hook a customization on the system monitor and trigger something on exit though.

1 Like

Thanks for the warm welcome and a pointer in the right direction!

We also have this issue, but only for a few specific users. We gave them a batch file they can run to nuke the temp folders and kill and lingering epicor processes.

1 Like

Chalk up the same issue for us, on ticket number 3 with Epicor as well. Using the smart client, classic, and it does not affect all users but rather the same 4-6 constantly. They are all on the same machines, or very close. We also have to delete the appdata folders and that works maybe 50% of the time, a full re-install 70% of the time and if those don’t work we’ll have them use a temp account, then switch users. One user in particular will consume 6 licenses at a time until we pause them. It does seem related to the user login, maybe a cache folder on Epicor’s servers? Last recommendation was to create a new user account and see if the issue follows the old one. I haven’t been able to do that yet, we did a bunch of re-installs etc after the .8 update and everyone seems to be logging in like normal again. I can tell you it also leaves the Epiobrowser or whatever process running, that seems to lock a session, we have to make sure those are all killed as well. And, finally, there was an issue with the stupid communication preferences hanging they fixed a month or two ago, this seems different but worth noting that was a problem.

1 Like

Thanks for the info @SRobertFE it’s great to see so many new people posting. I feel like I’ve seen quite a few recently.

Have you totally disabled the antivirus software or managed the exclusions?

While you wait for a better solution, you can give your users a batch file to do the deleting of the cache and lingering Epicor processes:

3 Likes

Thanks, Evan.
Glad, but unfortunate to see others are having this problem. I’ll look into the .bat file, as it seems to be the easiest for the user to run.

This is happening intermittently to us too @timshuwy @Rich any chance we can get a second look here? There’s enough of us experiencing this that it warrants a second look.

It appears to be directly tied to the Kinetic Homepage / EOBrowser I do not get this in Shell menu

3 Likes