Modify Job Traveler

Glad to help. We (the users) have to stick together as Epicor is likely not going to be there for us in a sufficiently timely manner (and its not realistic to think they CAN be with the growth of the user base).
Rob Brown

Karl Dash <dashkarl@...> wrote:
Robert,
Yeah, you hit it on the head. I took your advice about inserting the JobProd table as an intermediary (thanks also to Dale Schuerman & Stephen Edginton). Small XML, quick response, looks good.
Thanks Again
-Karl-

Robert Brown <robertb_versa@...> wrote:
Isn't the JobProd table available in Crystal to create appropriate Joins to link JobHead to OrderHed?

You can then also Join in any subtables you further need if the data you wish to print on the traveler exists at the Order Line or Order Release level.

All that text manipulation code (stripping leading "0"s from the JobNum) sets you up for problems if your numbering schema (Job or Order) changes in the future (as a result of Vantage schema changes that give you new 'opportunities - or as a result of changing business needs).

Use the relational db to handle such things as it will be more likely to survive changes.

Rob Brown

We are on 803.400 and I want to modify the Job Traveler to pick up the customer PO number from OrderHed. We are also a make to order shop, so the customer order number is the first segment of the job number. I created a formula which strips the order number from the JobAsmbl table and then uses that to link to a subreport to the OrderHed to get the PO number. So far so good. But when I added the Orderhed to the report Data Definition the calculated field is not one of the links I can use to associate the OrderHed and JobAsmbl. The result is that the XML is huge and run time is three minutes to assemble a lot of unnecessary stuff. Can anyone suggest a better way to get to the same result?
Thanks, Karl

---------------------------------
Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

We are on 803.400 and I want to modify the Job Traveler to pick up the customer PO number from OrderHed. We are also a make to order shop, so the customer order number is the first segment of the job number. I created a formula which strips the order number from the JobAsmbl table and then uses that to link to a subreport to the OrderHed to get the PO number. So far so good. But when I added the Orderhed to the report Data Definition the calculated field is not one of the links I can use to associate the OrderHed and JobAsmbl. The result is that the XML is huge and run time is three minutes to assemble a lot of unnecessary stuff. Can anyone suggest a better way to get to the same result?
Thanks, Karl

The JobProd table is the link between Jobs and Orders. I have not
noticed any time issues using JobProd.

Dale

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
Of Karl Dash
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2008 9:56 AM
To: Vantage Group
Subject: [Vantage] Modify Job Traveler

We are on 803.400 and I want to modify the Job Traveler to pick up the
customer PO number from OrderHed. We are also a make to order shop, so
the customer order number is the first segment of the job number. I
created a formula which strips the order number from the JobAsmbl table
and then uses that to link to a subreport to the OrderHed to get the PO
number. So far so good. But when I added the Orderhed to the report Data
Definition the calculated field is not one of the links I can use to
associate the OrderHed and JobAsmbl. The result is that the XML is huge
and run time is three minutes to assemble a lot of unnecessary stuff.
Can anyone suggest a better way to get to the same result?
Thanks, Karl

########################################################################
Attention:
This email message is privileged and confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient please delete the message and notify the sender.
Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author.

This email message has been scanned for Viruses and Content and cleared
by MailMarshal SMTP

For more information go to http://www.ramsys.com
########################################################################

Link the Job to the jobProd Then JobProd to get OrderHead.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
Of Karl Dash
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2008 3:56 PM
To: Vantage Group
Subject: [Vantage] Modify Job Traveler

We are on 803.400 and I want to modify the Job Traveler to pick up the
customer PO number from OrderHed. We are also a make to order shop, so
the customer order number is the first segment of the job number. I
created a formula which strips the order number from the JobAsmbl table
and then uses that to link to a subreport to the OrderHed to get the PO
number. So far so good. But when I added the Orderhed to the report Data
Definition the calculated field is not one of the links I can use to
associate the OrderHed and JobAsmbl. The result is that the XML is huge
and run time is three minutes to assemble a lot of unnecessary stuff.
Can anyone suggest a better way to get to the same result?
Thanks, Karl

Isn't the JobProd table available in Crystal to create appropriate Joins to link JobHead to OrderHed?

You can then also Join in any subtables you further need if the data you wish to print on the traveler exists at the Order Line or Order Release level.

All that text manipulation code (stripping leading "0"s from the JobNum) sets you up for problems if your numbering schema (Job or Order) changes in the future (as a result of Vantage schema changes that give you new 'opportunities - or as a result of changing business needs).

Use the relational db to handle such things as it will be more likely to survive changes.

Rob Brown

Thanks, Karl

Robert,
Yeah, you hit it on the head. I took your advice about inserting the JobProd table as an intermediary (thanks also to Dale Schuerman & Stephen Edginton). Small XML, quick response, looks good.
Thanks Again
-Karl-

Robert Brown <robertb_versa@...> wrote:

Rob Brown

Thanks, Karl