Hi folks - we use average costing and the BomCost report in Epicor uses standard cost… In theory, it seems like a simple enough thing to tweak in a report… it’s not. When Report Data Definitions start getting thrown into the mix I’m over my head. Any advice or simple 1, 2, 3 steps anyone can offer?
On a separate note, since there is the option of using Standard or Average costing method in your setup why isn’t that an option when you’re running a BomCost report?
I can tell you that BOMCost has its limitations.
But to respond to your issue, we struggled with the same concept. Sometimes we want to use Standard and sometimes we want to use Average. Do you need to see the itemized list details? If not, you can check the “Cost Comparisons” checkbox and at the very bottom, it will list Standard, Average, and Last Cost. But that only shows you the totals. It’s not itemized.
Hmmm…no, ours is giving us standard. I have run the report with the cost comparisons but we really need to see the details of the line items. I guess I could attempt a BAQ of some sort but I’m a bit out of my depth with trying to get all of the materials listed.
Yes, I am not sure what drives the cost you get on the BOM Cost. To be honest, I remember we had a similar struggle and we ended up creating a BAQ that did the same thing. Stay tuned. Let me export my BAQ and give you something to start from.
ProjectedCostsFast.baq (166.7 KB)
Give that a try. It’s setup to accept a parameter so you have to specify a BOM when you refresh it. Let me know if you have any questions. Hope it helps.
I haven’t tried to put this into a report. We view it as a dashboard. But it could go into a BAQ report rather easily if you wanted it to be printed.
No worries… our supreme leader around here loves dashboards and things he can export to Excel…
Hi Dan – thanks so much for this BAQ! It’s really been helpful in getting a good handle on material costs. The more I started digging into this and looking at various items, the more I felt like banging my head against my desk.
We went with Average costing when we went to Epicor and it seemed to make the most sense. However, what we neglected to factor into the situation is how Epicor calculates average; I found some posts here that pointed out some factors about partial receipts and material in WIP and my head was spinning!
I decided to go back and load/update standard costs for parts and see what that got me… I then printed a BOM Cost Report for a simple item with very parts to see how it was looking. I think I might be losing my mind… The BOM Cost report pulls the Standard Cost from the system right? Somehow I’ve got a bom that has given me 4 different costs…
I believe that’s one of the intended side effects of a BOM Cost report. You are getting the total sum of the components as of this moment. The Part Master cost is not going to get updated unless you do a Cost Rollup on the BOM and post it.
Ok…that makes sense… Thanks! I think I’ve stared at this so much this week and tried to wrap my brain around all the inner workings to the point that logic and reason have deserted me.
Right, so if you have the BOM the way it is intended to be at standard and all of the cost elements for all of the materials on the bill are also up to date, you can roll the cost for the parent part and all associated parts.
Then if you print the BOM cost report it will line up with the cost you see in the part tracker.
we use average cost as well and the material on our BOM cost report is costed using average. Comparing the cost of the part to the actual part cost is challenging though as the BOM cost report essentially rolls the cost from the BOM. The tricky part is if any material has a BOM it will use it and roll that cost…so if you BOM related cost is not accurate vs the actual purchase cost of the part you will have a variance etc.