Overload Informer

We are still trying to get our scheduling working. We have been through the business process review, and our consultant suggested using the Overload Informer report. This report looks pretty useless to me. Other folks on this site have reported issues with it. I am also seeing some of those problems with my data.
Old Jobs in Overload Informer - ERP 10 - Epicor User Help Forum (epiusers.help)
In this post Josh suggests it was a data corruption issue. I haven’t gotten anyone to look that closely to determine if that is our issue too. We did migrate up from an old vantage version many years back.

Overload Informer Has Old load Information - ERP 10 - Epicor User Help Forum (epiusers.help)
In this post Marco describes an issue similar to what I see. We have lots of old load in the informer that doesn’t represent reality. I know we have a lot of work to do to get MRP installed and setup, and we have some real work to do in organizing our resources. We want to be able to use the built-in reports, but so far they have not been helpful.

I have run the conversions suggested in the last post. It did change the values in the overload informer, but a lot of old load is still there.

If we are seeing old load on our overload informer, how are we supposed to take action on that? It doesn’t tell me what job is contributing to that overload, so I can’t address it. I can look in resource scheduling board, but I don’t see the load that is shown in the overload informer. I only see current and future load.

Sounds like most folks that have a real clue about what is going on in Epicor don’t really use Overload Informer. If that is true, how do you anticipate and identify resource groups (or individual resources) that are overloaded?

Sounds like we’re at a similar point in scheduling implementation! We’re just checking out overload informer today.

1 Like

@NateS , one of the settings that I just learned about is Autocomplete Setup in Site Configuration. We were also having issues with old load and this helped fix the majority of it. From the help:

If you select this check box, the Setup is marked as Complete and load for Setup Hours is relieved when production for an operation is marked as Complete.

1 Like

If you are running an infinite capacity model then the priority dispatch/work queue will tell you what to work on and the overload informer will let you know if you can execute the plan.

Limitations.

An unfortunate out of box limitation is that daily analysis isn’t very useful. I recommend recreating this report and looking at weekly buckets instead. When setting it up this way make a version by resource and another version by resource group. Capacity is found in table ShopCap. Overload is found in table ShopLoad.

In short, analyze machines by resource and employees by resource group for better results in the overload infomer.

2 Likes

Forgot to mention, if you want to see the breakdown on a certain date with a certain resource use the Resource Scheduling Board and it will show you every job that is to be running that day in that resource.

2 Likes

Awesome! Great advice guys! Sometimes it helps just to lay it out as simply as:

This makes the most sense given the other tools available. Glad to see I am not the only one that doesn’t really find much use for the Overload Informer. Maybe once our scheduling is working properly, the overload will make more sense.
Thanks everyone!