Report Builder error message

Thanks Todd. It sounds like I better be content with 6.1 as our company resources and interests are limited, unfortunately. It's been a 'slow go' just to get people thinking about 6.1 here. Best of luck to you on version 8. Thanks again for all of your help.
Beth

Todd Caughey <caugheyt@...> wrote:
Well....
1. RB is not available in 8. Progress "end of life'd" it after 9.1d and Progress 10 is required for 8.x. So this means reports have to be re-written...either Crystal, dahboards, BAQ, Access (via ODBC) or other means. If you have a lot of RB (like us) this could take awhile

2. 8.x will involve a LOT of user training. The interface is different and wrong behavior can make some things very inefficient.

3. There are so many new capabilities it would really pay to step back and examine how you want it to work and then build this in. This will involve end user input and will take time and a great deal of thought.

All of this applies a little to a 4 to 6.1 move (example Engineering WorkBench training issues) but are fairly trivial compared to going from 6.1 to 8.x...let alone from 4. Treat 8.x like a complete new implementation. Unless you have the time and resources to do this leap now, and don't need some 6.1 feature really soon, it would be better to go to 6.1 and make plans from there. My 2 cents anyway.

We are not on 8.x yet. I am just now loading it on a test server (or trying) and waiting for better migration documentation. I like what I see and "salivate" over useful looking features but am proceeding cautiously because the magnitude of change could be hilghly disruptive to the business i fnot done right. I expect to spend the rest of this year loading a test database to play with and also map business processes to see wher new features can best be implemented. Our actual conversion will probably take a year or more.

-Todd C.

Sent: Friday, August 31, 2007 10:00 AM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Vantage] Report Builder error message

Thanks Todd. I guess I can quit trying to fix it.
Are you using version 8? If so, do you like it better than 6.1? I'm wondering if we should go straight to 8, rather than going to 6.1 first. Seems like most people are on version 8.
Beth

Todd Caughey <caugheyt@...<mailto:caugheyt%40harveyvogel.com>> wrote:
You can't. You have ot live with it. Only happend in developer. 6-OKs every time you open a report that has Part table.
Due to change in DB to accomadate different currencies which RB can't handle and they knew RB was going away. Only affects anything if you use those extra decimal places. I minor PITA when developing reports.
-Todd C.

Sent: Friday, August 31, 2007 9:23 AM
To: Vantage Users
Subject: [Vantage] Report Builder error message

In converting from 4.0 to 6.1 I am trying to make our reports work. When I try to open reports in 6.1 Report Builder, I get the following error:

WARNING: Format for field
AvgBurdenCost has too many digits-
Format has been changed from
'zz,zzz,zzz,zz9.99999' to
'zz,zzz,zzz,zz9.9999'

If I click OK, it goes on to say the same thing about AveLaborCost, LastBurdenCost, LastLaborCost,StdBurdenCost, and StdLaborCost. The report that I am using draws data from the Part table.
How can I fix this?
Beth

---------------------------------
Got a little couch potato?
Check out fun summer activities for kids.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Please be aware that any use, printing, copying, disclosure or dissemination of this communication may be subject to legal restriction or sanction. If you think you have received this message in error, please reply to the sender.

For more information please visit www.harveyvogel.com

Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers, not web links.

Please be aware that any use, printing, copying, disclosure or dissemination of this communication may be subject to legal restriction or sanction. If you think you have received this message in error, please reply to the sender.

Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase.

In converting from 4.0 to 6.1 I am trying to make our reports work. When I try to open reports in 6.1 Report Builder, I get the following error:

'zz,zzz,zzz,zz9.9999'

If I click OK, it goes on to say the same thing about AveLaborCost, LastBurdenCost, LastLaborCost,StdBurdenCost, and StdLaborCost. The report that I am using draws data from the Part table.
How can I fix this?
Beth

You can't. You have ot live with it. Only happend in developer. 6-OKs every time you open a report that has Part table.
Due to change in DB to accomadate different currencies which RB can't handle and they knew RB was going away. Only affects anything if you use those extra decimal places. I minor PITA when developing reports.
-Todd C.

'zz,zzz,zzz,zz9.9999'

How can I fix this?
Beth

Are you using version 8? If so, do you like it better than 6.1? I'm wondering if we should go straight to 8, rather than going to 6.1 first. Seems like most people are on version 8.
Beth

Todd Caughey <caugheyt@...> wrote:
-Todd C.

'zz,zzz,zzz,zz9.9999'

How can I fix this?
Beth

Well....
1. RB is not available in 8. Progress "end of life'd" it after 9.1d and Progress 10 is required for 8.x. So this means reports have to be re-written...either Crystal, dahboards, BAQ, Access (via ODBC) or other means. If you have a lot of RB (like us) this could take awhile

2. 8.x will involve a LOT of user training. The interface is different and wrong behavior can make some things very inefficient.

3. There are so many new capabilities it would really pay to step back and examine how you want it to work and then build this in. This will involve end user input and will take time and a great deal of thought.

All of this applies a little to a 4 to 6.1 move (example Engineering WorkBench training issues) but are fairly trivial compared to going from 6.1 to 8.x...let alone from 4. Treat 8.x like a complete new implementation. Unless you have the time and resources to do this leap now, and don't need some 6.1 feature really soon, it would be better to go to 6.1 and make plans from there. My 2 cents anyway.

We are not on 8.x yet. I am just now loading it on a test server (or trying) and waiting for better migration documentation. I like what I see and "salivate" over useful looking features but am proceeding cautiously because the magnitude of change could be hilghly disruptive to the business i fnot done right. I expect to spend the rest of this year loading a test database to play with and also map business processes to see wher new features can best be implemented. Our actual conversion will probably take a year or more.

-Todd C.

Sent: Friday, August 31, 2007 10:00 AM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Vantage] Report Builder error message

Beth

Todd Caughey <caugheyt@...<mailto:caugheyt%40harveyvogel.com>> wrote:
-Todd C.

'zz,zzz,zzz,zz9.9999'

How can I fix this?
Beth