SaaS 2022.1 >> 2022.2 - the much awaited upgrade

Here is error on logon, it is not related to any code issues that can happen later. It is more missing or outdated locked dll issue.

2 Likes

Reloaded the client folder - which got me into Pilot

2 Likes

I don’t have any information on the initial error being reported here. But I do want to add some clarity as there seems to be some confusion with the platform.

.NET 6 was introduced in 2022.1 (server only). There are no major platform changes in 2022.2 so the server remains on .NET 6 and the client remains on .NET Framework 4.8.

Developing custom code (method directives, etc.) does not require .NET 6 on the client. If it is installed, it will take advantage of it for code validation. But if it not installed, it will gracefully fall back to using .NET Framework 4.8.

3 Likes

In Kinetic - searching for PO Suggestions - you need to scroll down to bring in all of the records.
After you have them all and select all - still not allowing you to bring in all of the records you want to review.
Only the first 200

Interesting. The reason I mentioned it was this reply from @Jonathan from the above link about Transaction Scope:

So if I understand correctly, it should gracefully fall back. If one still has trouble with code validation, then it doesn’t hurt to install .NET 6.

1 Like

To my knowledge Epicor Auto-Update was never good at updating the Client for Major Versions. You may need to make sure you re-download the latest 11.2.200 Client.

I am making an assumption you relied on Auto-Update, perhaps you didnt.

Also I run Epicor.exe and not Kinetic.exe for success.

4 Likes

There may be a setting?

2 Likes

So if I understand correctly, it should gracefully fall back. If one still has trouble with code validation, then it doesn’t hurt to install .NET 6.

Correct, there is no harm in installing .NET 6 on the client. If it helps with some scenario then go for it. For the most part, you should be fine without it.

3 Likes

Yes, it appears the auto-update bricked the install. Got it working now

2 Likes

For PO suggestions - it is very common to pull in alot of data into the “workbench” to select to promote to a purchase order.
The idea is not to export the data, but use the standard process in Kinetic to manage all of the suggestions.
Right now, will be required to used the classic process to work with the suggestions.

2 Likes

Bruce,

I am curious how the classic process actually works. Are they:

• Pulling in all suggestions across all suppliers? A group of suppliers? One supplier? (I’m assuming by Buyer)

• How many suggestions are converted to orders per day? Or per Run Purchase Suggestions?

• Do they review the entire list or just Select All and convert to orders?

It is my understanding Epicor will allow a 5K row limit, isn’t 5K enough? I guess batching it in 5K groups.

@LarsonSolutions Can you elaborate on this? Perhaps in a different post as I guess it’s off topic. I searched the forum but don’t see it mentioned. I mean, I know what the periodic posting is, but what do you mean by eliminating it?

Santiago I did notice issues with having .NET Core Runtime on my PC. Even Epicor aside, for example I use LINQPad and suddenly I got
The type initializer for 'Epicor.Data.EpiDataContext' threw an exception. because Serilog could not be found in Epicor.Hosting.dll (Inner Stack).

I removed .NET 6 Runtime from my PC and long and behold, all is back to normal.

I think .NET 6 should supplement .NET 4.7 but what happens it actually breaks stuff when compiling code on the PC arghhhhh! Its not an Epicor issue, just a .NET Backwards compatibility issue.

Even tho I had NuGet specific packages for EntityFramework, somehow .NET 6 Runtime messed it up.

Now I can explain this too :slight_smile:

Basically - Remove .NET 6 Runtime from your Client PC and all your BPMs and issues will be resolved and you wont have to include some special assembly in your BPMs.

2 Likes

SHEESH!

“this is a complete sentence.”

Doing some testing this morning on 2022.2
Job Tracker
Doing a quick spot check - the speed is good on both single level assemblies with 300+ materials and jobs with four subassemblies with 100+ materials each.

Very pleased with the results.

PO Suggestions
I was able to return 1,000 records - albeit - by having to scroll down vs “return all rows”.
But not able to group by supplier to work with the results.
Getting better, but not there.

Customer Tracker
CRM Calls
Shows the oldest first when looking at the grid view, summarized and clicking on the call.
Invoices and Shipments
Now showing the latest first in the grid view.

Getting close, but missing the critical CRM portion of the tracker, making Epicor not the top choice for CRM

Haven’t reviewed the issues in finance yet, selecting invoices to pay has been an issue not being able to easily select multiple invoices to pay.

3 Likes

Sounds like those buyers really don’t want their :cheese: moved!

Just to remind our readers, the cloud is a different model. You pay for what you use. As a general rule, cloud providers haven’t charged for bringing data into the cloud, but they do charge when you retrieve it. For those who host their Kinetic systems in the cloud, they are going to be more conscience of the costs. For those on SaaS, Epicor is including these charges in the subscription. This means if cloud subscribers are wasteful with resources, there may be a day where the subscription price goes up for all users or there might be a data cap on retrieval and an additional charge for usage over that amount.

Cloud Programmers managing resources:

On Prem programmers managing resources:

If these buyers were materials people, they would move a whole pallet of parts to the work center and return the ones they didn’t use - multiple times a day. :thinking:

A more efficient model might be, first show me the suppliers that have suggestions, and then retrieve the suggestions on the supplier of interest. One could even add another layer where the number of suggestions for the supplier was returned by part, class, or material category, and then retrieve just those for processing.

2 Likes

Interesting. As a developer, I always have both .NET Framework 4.8 and .NET 6 on my machine and I haven’t run into this. But I don’t use LINQPad.

Is the issue limited to LINQPad? or have you experienced issues with the Kinetic client as well?

I think some folks experienced it when trying to compile a BPM on the Client PC in Epicor. But besides those 2 I haven’t had any issue with Visual Studio or anything.

If you have reproducible steps, it would be good to report the BPM use case through support so we can review.