Salesperson Workbench and Territory Security, part 2

We are on 10.2.200.6

In Part 1 (Salesperson Workbench and Territory Security), the issue was that a user could see in Salesperson Workbench an order that she should not have been able to see (and was blocked from seeing in order entry).

This situation is the reverse. We would like Salesperson 1 (SP01) to view quotes that are assigned to his territory, even though the customer is not. Is this possible?

Relevant data:

• Territory security is turned on
  • Customer is assigned to territory T17
  • Quote address is in T1
  • Ship to address is in T1
  • Territory on quote has been manually changed to T1
  • SP01 is listed as the primary salesperson on the quote

However, in Salesperson workbench, SP01 does not see the quote, but SP17 does.

This particular customer is national with a billing address in SP17 but with offices all over. Our salespeople need to see the quotes and orders in their specific territory.

NOTE: I have not tried with an order; I was working my way through the process (starting with quote) and got stuck here.

Any thoughts on how to get the quotes (and, presumably, the orders) in front of the right people in the workbench?

Thanks.

Have you thought about creating a separate “national Account” territory for this type of customer that shares two different salespersons?

probably not your perfect solution, but ‘View All Territories’ is a way around this… we’ve had many problems with this and our situation sounds very similar to your issue. We’ve simply used a combination of ‘View all Territories’, ‘Authorized Users’, and supervisor/manager entries combined with some tricky BAQ code to create our own Salesperson Workbench and that allows for some lateral visibility from sales persons plus some broader visibility from managers (who are also salespersons). It was struggle to combine all the pieces and change our processes a little bit, but in the end it’s working.

Yes, that has been considered. That’s where we were reluctantly headed until I stumbled across the ability to change the salesperson in the quote.

May yet end up there; was just trying to avoid it.

I gather this is working as designed A salesperson will see only those quotes where the customer record is associated with his/her territory, even if he is the primary salesperson on a quote for a customer who is not in his territory.

We don’t want them to view anything other than their own stuff so I don’t think view all territories would work… Unless I am misunderstanding View all Territories?

yes, maybe I misread your question. I don’t know that you can do that (see quotes in your territory although the customer is not) b/c the inherent security is at the customer level.

I’d need to know more -
Are they allowed to enter quotes/orders themselves, or do they just VIEW these entities after a customer server person enters them?
Does SP17 get to see the quotes addressed/set as T17 for this same customer?

Have you considered WHY you don’t want the SalesPersons to see other territory activity? Fighting the system may not be worth the ‘reason’ you are fighting the system :slight_smile:

At this point, they do not enter quotes or orders themselves; these are outside guys. They have view-only access after customer service enters them.

Yes, SP17 would see the T17 quotes for this customer. At the moment, SP17 can see everything for this customer, which is not ideal, but we may have to live with it unless we go the national account route suggested by @timshuwy.

WHY don’t we want salespeople to see other territory activity? I am not completely sure, but it apparently has been this way for at least 15 years, probably more. The current (soon-to-be-former) CRM was locked down pretty tightly.

I have tried following steps, its working fine. Respective sales person can only view his/her quote created for their territory.

• Created two sales person in workforce

• SP17 - assigned authorized user as “SP17”
    • SP1 - assigned authorized user as “SP1”
  • Created 2 Territory
    * T1 assigned salesperson SP1.
    * T17 assigned salesperson SP17.

• Created customer “A” assigned to T1
    * Created Shipto “1” and assigned to T1
    * Created Shipto “2” and assigned to T17

• Created two quote
    * one for T1 and (quote 10000)
    * another for T17. (quote 10001)

• When SP1 logged in, quote created in T1.

• When SP17 logged in, quote created T17

Even in the quote search it will not allow the user to view the quote created for other territory.

1 Like

@skhayatt, this is exactly what we have and we decided to do customer account Ship-To’s as separate Customer accounts and thus removing the complication of ‘national’ or parent accounts with ShipTo’s. It sort of works, but honestly I inherited this structure and changing it is a daunting task. Plus, we lose the parent-child relationships for reporting purposes. I don’t know if my predecessor ever tried @prash172’s solution but it seems like a perfectly workable one with a DMT to fix all the Ship-To’s.

@prash172 - thanks for this post. I’m going to check it out and propose we make some changes if it works for us.

@prash172 Thanks. I will try that. I had been using the contact address (all this started with the contact), not an actual ship to. Will try that next. We can create a “dummy” Ship to for use in quotes where we do not know the actual ship to. Stay tuned…

@MikeGross - we, too, are trying to avoid the national account structure.

I look forward to your testing results :slight_smile:

@prash172 I could not re-create your test results. I did have to use existing territories and workforce because our territories are weird. Below is my data:

WorkforceIDs
rsm01
rsm17

Authorized Users
_usrrsm01 for rsm01
_usrrsm17 for rsm17

Territories and salesperson
rsm01 is primary salesperson on 01930000
rsm17 is primary salesperson on 17923072

Customer and Ship To
Customer territory is 01930000
Ship to 1 is in territory 01930000
Ship to 17 is in territory 17923072

Quotes
Quote 140 for Ship To 1
Quote 141 for Ship To 17

In the Salesperson Workbench Tracker,
_usrrsm01 sees both quotes
_usrrsm17 sees neither

I did notice that when the quote was done for Ship to 17 that the salesperson was automatically updated, but the salesperson was not. So I manually updated the territory, but nothing changed with respect to what each user was able to view.

I did notice that the even though the territory of 141 had been changed in the quote, when the quote info is displayed in the WB tracker, it pulls in from the customer record, not the quote records. The value in QuoteHed.TerritoryID is 17923072 but that is not what is being used to filter the workbench

Kindly check all the setup.
Below steps with screen shot

Workforce maintenance

T1 Sales territory maintenance

T17 Sales territory maintenance

Customer Maintenance

Thanks. I have found one difference in the setup. My user that cannot see the quote is the second authorized user of the workforceID. And this second user does not have a person contact record.

So maybe it’s not enough for the second user to be an authorized user of the first account; maybe he has to have a workforceID of his own.

Will play around with those situations.

I must still be missing something… Right now I am just focused on getting the 17 rep to see his quote that is for a customer in terr 1. Here goes…

Work Force Maint.

Sales Terr Maint.

Sales Terr Maint. Primary Salesperson is Test _usrRSM17

Customer Maint.

Ship To 17

WB Tracker - customer select

Retrieve quotes (or try to…)

I guess the “Quote search form” and the “sales person workbench form” are customzised forms.? If the answer is yes, try in the base form.

All base forms.

@prash172 I am having a doubt related to territory. For a company, if more than one sales rep is working in a territory and company wants, sales reps to see only their customers at salesperson workbench. Is there any standard way to achieve this?(As of now ,all salesperson in a territory can see each others customer)

you could filter the dashboard by filtering the base query. We re-wrote the entire SWB to suit our needs and created a “who is using” filter by adding a link from UserID to Workforce (by email) connection so we can see who is logged in and filter the dashboard accordingly.

If you use the SalesPerson field on the Customer record, then you could filter using that field connected to “who is using” the dashboard filter