Serial number visibility

We currently don’t use serialization, so I’m new to this.

I got it turned on in my test system. See this thread for that saga.

Now I’m doing a little exploring to figure out how it works. I have the mask set up, and turned on a for a part number. I see how the shipping works with the serial numbers, adding them (we will be adding them at shipment). So far so good.

The reason that we want to start using serial tracking is for transferring ownership to customers. We sell the original to a contractor, who installs it, but then for future warranty and parts orders, we are dealing with the end user, so a different/new customer. I looked at the customer transfer screen, that’s pretty straight forward as well.

So the backbone of the system seems like it’s working for me just fine. My question is, where else can you see the serial numbers owned by a customer? I was expecting this to be in the customer tracker but I don’t see it there. Is it really the only place to see that in serial number maintenance/tracker?

It’s not a huge deal if it is, I’m perfectly capable to making a customization, but it just seems a little short sighted on Epicor’s part, so I feel like I’m missing something.

Welcome to a whole new world.

Out of box there is not much with SN reporting, you will have to use the information on the SN to get to the customer, order, job, packid, and such…

That being said we have created UD fields on the SN and Part to help us make sure we know which customer the serial number belongs to. A lot will depend on your business case. Are you doing service on the Serialized Equipment? That is also a fun topic to get into.

Kind of. currently, nothing is really tied to anything. So a customer calls in (who we don’t know, because we didn’t deal with them on the original project) and we are trying to figure out what they actually have. It’s not impossible with the information we have, it’s just tedious. If the serial number gives us a trail, it get’s us back to the job and subsequently BOM that was built for their specific conveyor. Then we know for sure what parts to sell them. We are just hoping that serialization can help us stay organized.

Can I ask why you need a UD field to track the customer? With the transfer customer screen, doesn’t that handle it for you?

We don’t use that screen.

We use the customer shipment screen to ship to the customer.

you ship it with the customer shipment. But then if it changes ownership, you use the other screen to change which customer owns it. There is an audit log in the serial number tracker.

interesting.

Don’t think that is needed for our process.

The Transactions tab shows the whole history of a serial number so it’s doable.

So why the UD fields? (you didn’t answer me on that one). Is it different for fully tracked SN vs outbound only?

More for reporting than anything. We can easily figure out the customer of the SN part vs having to traverse through the SN trans records. Otherwise you have to write some fun queries.

1 Like

Here is a picture of the average SN transactions. Data we keep track of. First shipped, Last Shipped, Original Job, Service Jobs, Customer, Original Order, Last Order/RMA/Service Job. The list goes on.

It looks easy when you can see the data, but to have a report generated for multiple SN of the part (there could be 1000’s of) Anyway goes back to how you want to report on the data.

I am open to how to use the tool better.

FYI. my MSPaint Skill is not on my resume…

1 Like

Go get green shot, way easier.

Hi,
In shipment entry against one lot number ,that serial need to show . how to get that. any one have some idea, let me know

Is that SN in that lot?

Epicor uses current SN information and the transaction table to populate the SN on the Available Serial Numbers list.

Ya.
serial number having only 2 for that lot #, other serial no. having in other lots.
Multiple lot serial number showing . need to show one lot against serial number in that .

give some idea how to popup same lot against serial number.,

I would look at the SNTran table. See if there are transaction for the good one (SN that are on the list) that are not on the transaction list of the orphan on (SN that should be on the list)

Hi Ken,

Serial number having transaction list . But while clicking serial number button based on lot number against serial need to show

What are the transaction of a good SN vs the orphan one?

Are the transaction types identical?

The more you can share about the transaction the easier it is for us to help.