Server Side Error: Predicitive Search

I am getting a Server Side Error:
Error accessing the database: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

This occurs only when I try to save a Predictive Search. Any thoughts?

FULL ERROR:

Error Detail 
============
Description:  Error accessing the database: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
Inner Exception:  The wait operation timed out
Program:  System.Data.dll
Method:  OnError
Original Exception Type:  SqlException
SQL Line Number:  0
SQL Error Number:  -2
Framework Method:  execSQLCommand
Framework Line Number:  98
Framework Column Number:  21
Framework Source:  execSQLCommand at offset 122 in file:line:column c:\_Releases\ICE\3.1.400.0\source\Server\Db\Triggers\Default\TriggerHelper.cs:98:21

Server Trace Stack:     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, Boolean asyncWrite)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(TaskCompletionSource`1 completion, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe, Int32 timeout, Boolean asyncWrite)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
   at Ice.Triggers.Default.TriggerHelper.execSQLCommand(String sql, Int32 tryCnt, SqlConnection sqlCnx) in c:\_Releases\ICE\3.1.400.0\source\Server\Db\Triggers\Default\TriggerHelper.cs:line 98

Inner Trace:
The wait operation timed out
:

Client Stack Trace 
==================
   at Epicor.ServiceModel.Channels.ImplBase`1.ShouldRethrowNonRetryableException(Exception ex, DataSet[] dataSets)
   at Ice.Proxy.BO.PredictiveSearchImpl.Update(PredictiveSearchDataSet ds)
   at Ice.Adapters.PredictiveSearchAdapter.OnUpdate()
   at Ice.Lib.Framework.EpiBaseAdapter.Update()
   at Ice.UI.App.PredictiveSearchEntry.PredictiveSearchTransaction.adapterUpdate()
   at Ice.Lib.Framework.EpiMultiViewTransaction.Update(IEnumerable`1 dataSets)

Inner Exception 
===============
Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

Inner Stack Trace 
=================

The BAQ you are trying to use for predictive search is taking too long to run… Would be my guess

Maybe I better go hunt down a manual on this - I assumed it would just be a simple part BAQ. Maybe I am missing some necessary parameters.

I’m going to revive this zombie thread. I read the manual on predictive searches and I appear to be doing everything right.

The error I mention occurs when I try to save a predictive search setup.

What does the BAQ look like? Also have you tried increasing the BAQ timeout period? What’s yours set to?

The BAQ is a simple part query. Part Table->Part Number.

I’ve never seen the BAQ timeout - where is that? But why doesn’t it timeout in the BAQ writer?

I don’t know just a wild guess, go to Admin Console -> On the Right Side there is a App Server Settings Dialog
Click it and set the BAQ Timeout to like 30000 or something as a test.

Hahah Admin Console he says… :confounded:

Oh i forget you don’t get big boy access over there

1 Like

@Chris_Conn Did you end up getting this working? I appear to be running into the same issues.

Unfortunately no. :frowning:

What version are you running?

At the time of the issue I think it was 10.1.400 (maybe 500)

Hmm 10.1.600.6 here and appears to be an issue.

I believe the issue is related to the fact that you have tracked solutions on a solution that you have deleted.

Open tracked solutions. Select the empty row and click ok. Your Predictive search should save now.

Took a while to work it out, but after a process of elimination and some judicious use of SQL Profiler I worked it out. I can’t find the post to refer to, but I noticed someone used weird names in messages to help them search for them in log files.

I gave my search a description of “zebra” and It made finding it in the profiler output that little bit easier.

So I hope you find this one useful. By the way I had the problem on 10.1.600.6 but upgraded to 10.1.600.25 on the weekend and still had the problem.

Enjoy the rest of Insights you lucky duck.

2 Likes

@Hally where to find Open Track Solutions. I am getting same error cannot save predictive search.

image for Active home page

or

Solution tracking also exists in your General Options:

In the modern shell you can see if you are tracking a solution as it shows in the status bar at the bottom of the page.

Hope that information helps.

2 Likes

It works for me, Thanks @Hally

1 Like