Setting Up Finite Resources - Best Practices

I am looking for a consultant (or industry expert) who has experience with finite job scheduling and who would be willing to talk to me about possibly moving forward with changing from infinite to finite scheduling and all the associated method/resource updates that would be required. Mostly, I am interested in the ramifications and pitfalls, when it makes sense to do Kanban vs regular jobs, how to effectively plan for stocking subassemblies, and generally what I can expect as we transition. We currently make almost everything to order and we have our methods structured so that any subassemblies are all pull as assembly - in other words we’re building them as part of the make to order job, too. Our business has evolved and our quantity has increased. I’d like to start with a phone call where we discuss our business and how we do things today.

Also, I’ll take any free advice too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No takers? haha…

LOL - been a little while since you posted that question. Maybe it was a busy day and we all missed it.

We’re 99% ETO/MTO, using the configurator heavily, and have our entire plant set up as finite, with a 365-day fence. Our jobs can be a day long, or a month long, with multiple bottlenecks along the ‘critical path’ of MFG.

I’d be happy to chat about some things, but I’ll say that every business has a different philosophy about things and it’s hard to find a lot of commonalities - although there is always some to be had. I can’t speak to Kanban and we do very little as subassemblies, but I can speak to most everything else. You want to have a Teams meetup, or tackle a few questions here?

I would say that the Scheduling Technical reference is a must read/must understand piece of homework before we can really tackle too much. Sounds like you probably read it but wanted to make sure :slight_smile: There are also many conversation threads here regarding everything under this topic.

2 Likes

I’d also recommend reading Necessary But Not Sufficient by Eliyahu Goldratt. So you can learn about exploiting the bottleneck with the ERP.

1 Like

Should be mandatory reading for everyone in management

1 Like

The Goal - Eliyahu Goldratt
It’s About Time - Rajan Suri (Quick Response Manufacturing)

2 Likes