Some machines don't log into Kinetic 2022.2

I’ve tried that(re-installing), but no change. Strangely enough the Web Client does work, it is something related to the Thick Client and it would seem that it is no entirely SSL at fault.
Also, checked the logs and I only see the record for the error, no other messages are in there.

A clean install or just an upgrade, perhaps some files are not being overwritten for some reason.

I would also be renaming\deleting the c:\ProgramData/Epicor folder in case you have any artifacts in the cache…

Which begs me to ask two things:

• Do you use the Alternate Cache folder in your sysconfig? If the cache data won’t be in c:\programdata\epicor folder
  • There isn’t a second user logged into this computer with Epicor running, preventing the update working correctly?

Simon,

Yes, we’ve tried the clean re-install. We deleted the whole c:\Epicor folder, along with the c:\ProgramData\Epicor one. We are trying desperate measures now and deleting antivirus software to check it out.

No, we don’t use alternate cache folder and the machine is just for one user. No other remote (or local, for that matter) user is logged.

1 Like

Have you tried clearing the AppData ones?

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Epicor

I usually just rename the folders in there as _OLD to see if it helps before deleting them entirely.

1 Like

Just tried those, Hannah, but still no. The antivirus is taking too long to uninstall, so still waiting to try after that. I am testing in the computer that I have closer, since I can’t go to the others fast enough. Luckily the user is out at the moment.

Check the date Time setting on the bad machines. It has to be in the correct timezone and time or you can get errors.

Brett

Thank for the suggestion Brett, but in this case all the machines have the same timezone and time… Contacted support again today, just to find out the person who was seeing my case is out until Jan 25, so thank you very much Epicor. The fact that support changes Urgent cases as Medium,even when we are talking about users can’t log in is surprising.

Escalate the case and get your CAM involved. They’ll typically go to bat for you if you give them the case number.

Hi @GInclan

I have the same error, today I upgraded to Epicor and some computers have connected and work fine, but others have the same error and cannot connect. Have you found any solution for that problem?

Carlos

Grasping a at straws…

Run a TRACERT to the server. Do this on the workstations that work and those that don’t. Look for differences.

Try flushing the workstations DNS cache.

Other things to review:

Verify that your nonworking systems are configured to support TLS 1.2 - Google that for more detail.

Verify the Windows Shortcut is starting the correct Client and that the Sysconfig file defined is also correct and has the proper AppServer URL and Auth values - compare one of the working Sysconfig files to the nonworking Sysconfig to ensure they are the same.

Try using the 64 bit version of the client - Epicor64.exe or Kinetic64.exe.

Support has finally reported, but with no good news. They claim that Kinetic 2022.2 doesn’t support windows 8.1. Even though I do have some computers with Windows 8.1 working! So, I am thinking this the end of line.

Strangely enough, those prerequisites are not in the installation or update guide, so not sure where did that come from.

Thank you all for your suggestions!

1 Like

Hi Rich,
I wasn’t aware there is actually a 64 bit version of the software, will try it. Although support indicates that no 32 bit OS is supported, strangely enough Kinetic is still 32 bit also.
In any case, thanks again, I’ll give it a rest and update the computers, since this is taking a toll on me already.

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but what is the guidance around using the 64bit version? I have never seen anything about it in installation documentation, although It’s been there for a long time.

I could see trying to keep 7 around because it was awesome, but curious why you would have any machines with 8.1 still.

1 Like

“still” ?

I would have went with “ever”

I was trying to be nice and now you ruined it!

1 Like

Hi everyone!

Apparently we already solved the problem of the devices that cannot connect, I share the solution that we use for the following problem.

installing the server certificate on the computers that could not connect, as trusted root certification authorities.

Hi Carlos,

I thought that was mandatory, that is all machines required the certificate installed in there. Do you have Windows 8.1 machines as I do?

Haha well, that happens when you have computers running after 8 years, so no need to upgrade. Upgrade here at the Company goes along with buying a new computer. That’s just it.