SQL Server 2008 and Progress DB

Hi John,

I am still having problems trying to set up the Linked Server.

As far as the datasource when I click in that field, it has “Network name of Server”.  Do I need anything else? 

We have SQLServer 2008 r2.

To set up the linked server it is under Server Objects.

The setup looks the same as what you have below but, I have to choose a provider.

Thank you for your help.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Hatcher, John
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2014 5:52 AM
To: 'vantage@yahoogroups.com'
Subject: [Vantage] Re: SQL Server 2008 and Progress DB

Hi Cathy,

We’re using a daisy chain of SQL server systems so that we can access our Vantage and now Epicor 9 system to APM for retro indexing.

Due to the 32 bit ODBC that is the only type supported by Epicor, We have the APM system on SQL server 2012.  It has a linked server pointing to our SQL server 2000 system.  This in turn has a linked server pointing to our Vantage and Epicor systems.

You may not need this two layer approach so I’ll just talk about the 2000 configuration to connect to Epicor.  I would recommend creating a dedicated ODBC login on your Epicor database server for use by the linked server.

1.       Use mgmt. studio to connect

2.       Linked servers are found under security / linked servers

3.       Right click – select new linked server

a.       General TAB

i.      Product name: Progress OpenEdge 10.2A driver

ii.      Data source:  <DSname>

iii.      Provider string:  Database=mfgsys; port=9450; UID=<userID>; PWD=<password>

Hope this helps

John A. Hatcher  CPIM

Manager of IS

Versa Products Co., Inc.

(201) 518-5948 direct

(201) 843-2400 x4148

(201) 843-2931 fax

Does anyone have direction on how I can view the progress tables using SQL Server 2008?

I use Access but, some of the tables have too many indexes to link to progress.

For the most part, I use Access to view tables for information.    I can create a query quickly unlike using a BAQ where I have to save the query - this leads to too many BAQ's just for viewing.

If someone has directions, I would greatly appreciate the help.

We use linked servers.  This allows you issue openquery commands from SQL server to access Progress.

John A. Hatcher  CPIM

Manager of IS

Versa Products Co., Inc.

(201) 518-5948 direct

(201) 843-2400 x4148

(201) 843-2931 fax

I am trying to use linked servers.

Can you provide direction on how you set it up –

I missing something.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Hatcher, John
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 12:15 PM

We use linked servers.  This allows you issue openquery commands from SQL server to access Progress.

John A. Hatcher  CPIM

Manager of IS

Versa Products Co., Inc.

(201) 518-5948 direct

(201) 843-2400 x4148

(201) 843-2931 fax

Hi Cathy,

We’re using a daisy chain of SQL server systems so that we can access our Vantage and now Epicor 9 system to APM for retro indexing.

Due to the 32 bit ODBC that is the only type supported by Epicor, We have the APM system on SQL server 2012.  It has a linked server pointing to our SQL server 2000 system.  This in turn has a linked server pointing to our Vantage and Epicor systems.

You may not need this two layer approach so I’ll just talk about the 2000 configuration to connect to Epicor.  I would recommend creating a dedicated ODBC login on your Epicor database server for use by the linked server.

a.       General TAB

iii.      Provider string:  Database=mfgsys; port=9450; UID=<userID>; PWD=<password>

Hope this helps

John A. Hatcher  CPIM

Manager of IS

Versa Products Co., Inc.

(201) 518-5948 direct

(201) 843-2400 x4148

(201) 843-2931 fax

were you able to get this to work?  We are in process of changing from Progress to SQL Server
and was curious if you were able to do this.  Please let me know.

Thanks

Peter Vogt

I am getting an error when trying to set up a linked server.

We did create a System DSN ODBC connection on the Epicor Database Server.

Is this the data source name?

Thanks for your help.

Hi Cathy,

a.       General TAB

Hope this helps

John A. Hatcher  CPIM

Manager of IS

Versa Products Co., Inc.

(201) 518-5948 direct

(201) 843-2400 x4148

(201) 843-2931 fax

Just make sure you setup a System DSN using the C:\windows\syswow64\odbcad32.exe not the one in the Admin Tools menu.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Cathy
Sent: Friday, May 02, 2014 12:58 PM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Vantage] Re: SQL Server 2008 and Progress DB

Thanks for your help.

Hi Cathy,

a.       General TAB

Hope this helps

John A. Hatcher  CPIM

Manager of IS

Versa Products Co., Inc.

(201) 518-5948 direct

(201) 843-2400 x4148

(201) 843-2931 fax

The ODBC connection is working but, I can’t seem to set up the Linked servers correctly.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ned
Sent: Friday, May 02, 2014 11:44 AM

Just make sure you setup a System DSN using the C:\windows\syswow64\odbcad32.exe not the one in the Admin Tools menu.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Cathy

Thanks for your help.

Hi Cathy,

a.       General TAB

Hope this helps

John A. Hatcher  CPIM

Manager of IS

Versa Products Co., Inc.

(201) 518-5948 direct

(201) 843-2400 x4148

(201) 843-2931 fax

Thank you, I just learn a bit about the 64 vs 32 bit ODBC setup.

Looking at the 2 different versions of the ODBC administration – I found that the 32 and 64 have different drivers.

What is the easiest way to have the driver OpenEdge 10.2A ODBC Wire Protocol Driver for MS SQL Server installed in the right place?

It is in the list for when I go through the Admin Tools menu but, not when I run syswow64\odbcad32.exe.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Cathy,

a.       General TAB

Hope this helps

John A. Hatcher  CPIM

Manager of IS

Versa Products Co., Inc.

(201) 518-5948 direct

(201) 843-2400 x4148

(201) 843-2931 fax

Easiest way, install the full 32-bit version of OpenEdge on that server instead of 64-bit.

Sent: Friday, May 02, 2014 7:20 PM

Thank you, I just learn a bit about the 64 vs 32 bit ODBC setup.

Looking at the 2 different versions of the ODBC administration – I found that the 32 and 64 have different drivers.

What is the easiest way to have the driver OpenEdge 10.2A ODBC Wire Protocol Driver for MS SQL Server installed in the right place?

It is in the list for when I go through the Admin Tools menu but, not when I run syswow64\odbcad32.exe.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Cathy,

a.       General TAB

Hope this helps

John A. Hatcher  CPIM

Manager of IS

Versa Products Co., Inc.

(201) 518-5948 direct

(201) 843-2400 x4148

(201) 843-2931 fax