Sudden drop Epicor speed caused by Microsoft Updates -> (KB4601319, KB5000802, KB5000808,KB4601382,KB4601383) +

The server is not blocking windows updates because it does not seem to affect a 2016 server environment. At least it’s not affecting the performance/loading side of things.

I can’t see how any server configuration or updates would affect the window drag performance at a client install. But who knows. All I know is the load time was what my clients were complaining about and I believe that happened at least a month after I noticed the slow drag issue.

The fix works it has been tested to death by Microsoft, 2WTech, Customers and Epicor Support.

The drag issue is a visual component that I noticed that made it easy to see a difference (at least for me) since Record Load is more a subjective thing and can be affected by SQL , the weather, network load, rainbow kittens and squirrels

It may or may not be indicative of the Epicor Record Loading issue, but regardless this fix does fix that also at least for me.

5 Likes

2WTech fix worked for us with our limited testing thus far as well. We have been judging this by opening large jobs via Job Entry and moving through the job tree. On slow systems, it’s painful to move from op to op, etc. After setting this (again, limited testing) it is dramatically better.

I also see the slow window dragging issue that Jose has noted.

I don’t like throwing random fixes out there to all of our workstations but this boils down to a registry setting that’s disabling something behind the scenes. It would seem to be low risk from my perspective at this point. Especially if we can get our clients all fully patched again.

If nothing else, it gives some hope that all parties who are involved have at least tracked SOMETHING down! Hope is on the horizon!

*** Thanks for 2WTech for their efforts and assistance as well! Greatly appreciated.

1 Like

So this “fix” seems to only apply to a local group policy. Anyway to push it out to all domain computers?

Is just a Registry Key you can do some snooping around while you apply it to find it, there’s a different one for each Windows Version.

Then you could push it out via GPO to all work-stations.

1 Like

Was just looking that up @josecgomez - for me I’d want a script I could include as part of a PDQ Deploy package, and think this might be part of the answer:

This is what we found… DO NOT USE THIS AS THE BIBLE USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, DON"T BREAK YOUR SHIZ

Each of these is for a different version of windows we deployed all 3 (testing now)

Note: Should be 0 disabled not 1

1 Like

I wrote a script within our deployment software to check the Windows version first and only applied the specific key for each version. I’m not sure how Windows views these random keys. Applying them all to each client may disable additional items on a different version of Win10. shrug

Yeah that’s a safer approach, do you agree those are thekeys? We had to do some snooping to find them trying to verify we got it right.

I may or may not have taken a look at the admx templates and those are what I may or may not have seen as well :slight_smile:

To those who are frustrated, I think we are trying to be mindful of the fact that this “isn’t our story to tell” here. Epicor/MS/2WTech has put a lot of time and energy in to this. Credit certainly goes to them to this point.

I’m still reluctant to push this out everywhere as I really have no idea what those random keys relate to behind the scenes in Windows. It could be disabling UAC, the firewall and allowing plain text passwords for all we know to this point!

2 Likes

I see a rubber duck typing.

I’m still holding out hope that the April updates (2021-04) are good to go… but that may be too aggressive a timeline to hope for with Microsoft?

I appreciate your optimism! :slight_smile:

I did too but nothing posted. Perhaps it was a ghost duck?!?

1 Like

someones happy hour started early.

1 Like

Good day everyone–this is Nathan, long-time listener, first time in a long while poster.

As @tkoch posted earlier, Epicor ERP support has created and published a knowledge article that provides information regarding the preview fix from Microsoft intended to address the performance concerns introduced by a number of Windows updates that were published between February 2021 and April 2021.

The members of my ERP technical support teams have already started providing updates to the EpicCare cases that have been associated with this MS update concern with information regarding this preview fix and the knowledge article on how to apply it if one so chooses. As soon as I hit the reply button on this post I’ll be working on a report to identify any other open EpicCare cases that might be related to this concern so we can reach out to those customers as well.

The mandate that was given to my team was to provide this information for any open case tied to this concern, even if this information may have been provided to company/customer contact via another case already–so, my apologies if you are one that does. We’re implementing some automation this weekend that will let Support know if a customer account has already been sent this MS fix KB.

There is also an EpicCare alert that will be published shortly mentioning this MS fix for those that log into the EpicCare portal for those that may be impacted, so we can try to draw attention to this situation for those that may not have an open Support case tied to the MS updates in question at the moment.

*start disclaimer that my views may not be those of my employer*
My apologies for the way that information regarding this preview fix from Microsoft occurred. I have been assisting @Epic_Santiago internally on this concern since the beginning, and the impact was absolutely understood by everyone. As soon as the preview fix was validated by our internal testing and by a small customer testing group (which started on Wednesday and concluded yesterday), I started developing the documentation and process to disseminate this information in a way that could lead to the greatest potential success for all of our impacted customers within my ability. There was obviously pressure for Support to provide and release something/anything the moment we could, even if that something/anything was going to likely cause more questions or issues than deal with but I simply couldn’t do that. Those that have been following this thread closely may have caught that the formal Epicor communication to this preview MS fix was accelerated (and the overall Epicor response was really only waiting for the knowledge article that I created on this topic). If anyone feels that our response to this fix was slower than it should have been–that’s on me, no one else.

In closing (this is a really long post), I’m not a hyperbolic person, so when I say that the effort that the team involved with this internally at Epicor has been extraordinary (not sure I’ve used that word in a professional context before) I mean it. I’m one of those very unfun people that believes words should mean what they mean. As you all probably know by now, this wouldn’t have been possible without the amazing @Epic_Santiago.

Link to the KB on how to apply the preview MS fix:
https://epicorcs.service-now.com/epiccare?id=epiccare_kb_article&sys_id=abdb5c9bdb972410a587ef0705961996

29 Likes

Thank you @aidacra it is great to see you back here :heart_eyes::tada::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face: we know you are busy and thanks for the attention to this issue.

With that I will close this topic for posterity, marking your answer as the solution. Lord knows we’ve beat this horse to death and back.

If anyone has any further issues with this or the fix, please reach out to support via a case and I’m sure they’ll follow up with you promptly.

Thanks to everyone that came here made the issue known and got the community, support and even Microsoft involved.

Our community is amazing

21 Likes

Microsoft confirmed the performance fix affecting ERP will be released on July 20 as KB5004296. For more information see "KB0108621 February and March 2021 Windows

3 Likes

:crossed_fingers:

Releasing Windows 10 Build 19043.1147 (21H1) to Release Preview Channel | Windows Insider Blog

• We fixed a rare issue that might degrade performance in applications that call Gdiplus.dll!GdipMeasureString in a tight loop with a new font on each call. This issue occurs after installing Windows updates released on and after February 2021.

7 Likes