Test BAQ - Does anyone else do this?

I am constantly creating new “temporary” BAQs called “test” or some iteration of that. Inevitably, I forget to delete them, and they pile up like this. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone have an amazing process/solution for this laziness?
Youtube Reaction GIF by Vanessa Van Edwards

1 Like

I just have a reminder on my calendar at the beginning of every month to look through the list for any BAQs that aren’t shared and aren’t part of a current task/project and delete them. I’ve done the same: either just calling a BAQ “test” or putting TEST in the ID or description to make it obvious; but we always have a couple that we forget about every couple of months.

1 Like

I’ve evolved into a different iteration of that. I have a single BAQ called deletethis, and I re-use it over and over again. Then I’m sad when I come back a few weeks later and the cool pivot or whatever is replaced with something more recent lol

3 Likes

start it with zzz so it will be at the end of the list :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Or…make a BAQ that shows BAQs that aren’t shared. Set that up as a Report and schedule it to send to you every week/month/quarter so you don’t even need the reminder.

I might have to set that one up.

1 Like

I just reuse the same one and clear it out to start over. Cause yes, those are really annoying as they add up. We have someone… who shall remain nameless… who puts their initials and a number, and keeps making more and more and more baqs… We are tempted to delete them, but we don’t really know if they are used anywhere or not.

2 Likes

Check the Where Used tab in the BAQ designer. It is not 100% but it covers most places the BAQ can be used.

Doesn’t capture anywhere its used in code which is enough for me to not trust that much anymore

4 Likes

Super Troopers Yes GIF by Searchlight Pictures

1 Like

I am basically the same as @Evan_Purdy - i call mine DeleteMeDave-Test1 etc.

I generally will let them accumulate for a while and then i go into house cleaning mode and delete them all.

DaveO

1 Like

Anything not going to be permanent starts with DEV and can be deleted. If it is used in production, I make a copy.

I’ve started to indicate that if a BAQ is used in code (directive or function), it starts with BPM. We’ll see how that holds up.

5 Likes

more fun if you just smash the keyboard and never remember.

4 Likes

This is what I do.

I try to delete it when I’m done.

If I find gibberish later, it’s gone.

Anything important gets started with DEV, and if more importanter - Get’s copied to a real name before use.

Last Updated is a fun new thing!

3 Likes

It’s not pure laziness, although that is a part of it.

A lot of it is being busy, and of course:

aint nobody got time for that GIF

1 Like

Sometimes you just need to look something up quick and dirty

1 Like

If it’s a quick and dirty lookup it’s named ‘delete’. If it already exists I follow past me’s instructions and toss it. There can be only one.

If that turns into something I want to come back to later I copy it, name the copy YYYY-MM-DD and add a note in todo dot org so future me doesn’t immediately throw it away and has a clue why it’s there if I forget to wrap it up.

If I copy something to work on or mess around with it gets copied and suffixed YYYY-MM-DD with todo dot org notes.

2 Likes

Mine are all variations of asdf or asdfg. Just smash some keys

1 Like

Yep, we are NEVER going to work together.

I’m afraid :dumpster_fire: + :dumpster_fire: may breed:

girl burn GIF by Psyklon

3 Likes

That was my goto until I discovered autohotkey. Now there’s this line in my hotkeys dot ahk
#Space::sendinput %A_YYYY%-%A_MM%-%A_DD%
Even fewer keystrokes! ⊞ + space = ISO8601 date.
If I want a timestamp, there’s ⊞ + shift + space.
#+Space::sendinput %A_YYYY%-%A_MMM%-%A_DD% %A_Hour%:%A_Min%

How old is that thing? Yep. What’s the oldest or newest thing? ISO8601 sorts alphabetically to temporal order. Makes it easy to clean up cruft - search for BAQ’s starting with 2, sort the ID column, toss everything over some age.

3 Likes