Testing on 5.1 - Issues Running 5.0 and 5.1 together

I thought I would clarify a potential issue that many of us may face (like Robert Bruton faced in his email below) when installing Vantage 5.1 on the same server with 5.0. I ran into this problem on my laptop (fortunately not on our live server) and am passing on what I learned. Robert found out the hard way.

IF, you are currently using the Progress Explorer for Progress 9.1A (Vantage 5.0) AND want to add Progress Explorer for Progress 9.1C (Vantage 5.1), you will need to do the following... (Which will mean shutting down your 5.0 database and possibly rebooting your server).

1. Copy all of your setting in PE 9.1A (do screen shots or write them down.)
2. Install Vantage 5.1
3. ONLY DO THIS STEP AND THE FOLLOWING STEPS IF YOU ARE READY TO SHUT DOWN YOU LIVE VANTAGE FOR ABOUT 15 MINUTES. Stop the AdminServer for 9.1A in Services, and "Disable" it.
4. Set the AdminServer for 9.1C to "Automatic" and start it (if it is not already started).
5. Open the Progress Explorer for 9.1C.
6. Create your Epic50 Database using the settings that you copied in Step 1. When 50 is running fine, then...
7. Create your Epic51 Database as you would normally. You may want to modify various parameters to concerve CPU usage for your LIVE Database.
8. Both 5.0 and 5.1 Databases should be working fine.

NOTE: The reason for all of the above is that AdminServer 9.1A and 9.1C don't like each other and can't be run at the same time.

If you have any questions, call Epicor. :-)

Troy Funte
Liberty Electronics

----- Original Message -----
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2001 4:59 PM
Subject: [Vantage] Upgrade to 5.1

I upgraded to 5.1 this past weekend. I think I followed all of the
instructions but after installing 5.1, users couldn't access 5.0.
Everything looked OK on the server. All services running, etc. At the
workstations, no joy.
AAARRRRGGGHHH Can't find what's wrong!
So I ran around and upgraded all workstations to 5.1 on Sunday. Everyone
was ready this morning. No other glitches to report (yet).
Now I have to fix all the Crystal that's broken. And RB. I had hoped to do
this in an organized, leisurely manner. Now it's panic fix it time.

Oh well, that's why we get the big bucks, right?

Bob Bruton
Entek Corp.
bob@...

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]