Trace Helper Utility for Epicor ERP 10

Yeah I could do it however it is very subjective and adding a config file is just too complex #NotWorthIt
However if you get enough support behind it… Maybe I’ll have a crack at it… also it’s
FLOSS so anyone else can try and add that feature we’ll accept pull requests LoL

Speaking of which anyone wanna volunteer to update the Readme.md file on the repo with the info here? I hate mark down lol #AskingForAFriend #IHateWritingDocs :laughing:

Oh man! That Code tab! Thank you!!

YW, keep in mind the code tab is a work in progress there are some improvements there for sure, currently the index is off by one

1 Like

Is it common to see this in your update methods. After several traces in various BOs, I see my values in decimal and integer form. These are canned methods, not anything I have tinkered with or altered.
Just curious if its a trace artifact, or if the values are actually changing types.

It’s the way the trace spits them out, the data types remain the same.

This is awesome. I look forward to trying it more. Here are some feedback items:

1. It would be nice to be able to drag and drop a file
  2. Could your file type list on the “Trace File” button be txt AND xml instead of one or the other?
  3. A tree or some other visual representation of the steps in the file would be helpful
  4. Could “Prior Method” only show items prior to the “Method to Call”
  5. When selecting a “Method to Call” or “Prior Method” it would be helpful to see what DataSet is on each (i.e. PartDataSet)
  6. Methods with multiple Datasets should be able to select the Dataset to compare (i.e. Part.LinkGlbPart)

I hope this list does not sound ungrateful, but these would replace my need for Notepad++ to do the same work.

2 Likes

Nice job Jose & Josh!

Thanks Jason
I’ll see what I can do

1 Like

@josecgomez and @jgiese.wci thanks for sharing and the demo last week, awesome tool.

1 Like

Bumping an old but awesome post, because I don’t think you mentioned it but this works on DMT trace logs as well.

At the bottom right in DMT:

Tick both…

For some reason, when I try to open the log in @josecgomez 's tool, it fails with “File In use”.

Easy fix:

1. Click “View Log” after running your DMT
  2. Log opens in Notepad - File>Save as copy
  3. Open the copy
4 Likes

I’m not sure if it’s been fixed yet, but in my version, when you travel back to the method selectors, if there are multiple entries of the same method name, the dropdown looses track of where you were – it always reselects the first matching method name by name vs. where you were in the list (eg. the 2nd method of the same name).

If it’s just a matter of reselection and you’re matching by name, you could just preceed the dropdown control with a line instance to help the control locate on its own. For example, in this scxreenshot I’m moving down the list method by method doing DIFFs. You can see that I’m down to the last UpdateMaster method, but when I reselect one of the pulldowns, it just back up to the first matching name in the list.

So changing the text values in the list to something like:

1: method A
2: method B
3: method C
4: method A

… matching “4: method A” would be recalled properly.

It’s not critical, but when there are multiple methods you can lose your place in the entire list.

I’ll take a look at this , thanks @Jeff_Owens

1 Like

“Anyway I thought it was a pretty cool tool” I’d say that’s verging on Sub Zero! (Apologies to those Mortal Kombat fans!)

Thanks Jose & Josh

2 Likes

Clearly I’m late to the party but this will save me so much time!

Hi,

Do I miss something special that it never generates any code in this section?

You have to pick a different prior method. The code is to show you what you need to change. You have the same methods in the before and after, so there is no change.

1 Like