UOM Conversion - How to Use?

Wondering if anyone has had any luck using the Part UOM Conversion Program in E10. I think I might be missing something.

I have a part the was assigned the wrong part class, Length when it should have been Count. When I try to run the conversion I get an error saying, “Missing Conversion to UOM Code FT.” I’ve made a Quantity Adjustment to make sure there are none in stock.

Here is a screenshot of what I’m trying to do.

Any pointers?

Do you have “ft” define in your UOM table?

1st, if you have made any transaction on the part you want to change, this tool doesn’t work.
2nd if you haven’t made transactions, you need to change the UOM Class to an “Other” type whoich contains the UOMs you want PLUS a conversion factor from the BASE UOM in the Class you are switching from. in your case you need to add a FT to EA conversion to your New class…

4 Likes

Hello,

I apologize for resurrecting an old question but what if there is a single price adjustment transaction in the system for a part and if I want to change the UOM of that part from Each to feet, is there anything I could do to change the unit of measurement?

Edit: meant to reply to @OnurCam (and updated example to align with their specific case)

To do a part UOM conversion from one class to another requires making an intermediate class of type OTHER. This intermediate class must have all the UOM conversions that the class you’re going from has.

After running the conversion from the old class to the intermediate class, remove all the UOM conversions that you can. Then add the UOM conversions that the desired class has, to the intermeditate class. Then run the conversion from the intermediate to the final.

Example:

Existing UOM Classes and their conversions

• LENGTH (FT is default)
    • IN (12 IN = 1 FT)
    • YD (1 YD = 3 FT)
  • COUNT (EA is default)
    • DZ (12 EA = 1 DZ)
    • BX20 (20 EA = 1 BX20)

Part ABC-123 was created as class COUNT, with IUM of EA (should have been LENGTH & FT)
An ADJ-CST was created, making a Part Tran with UOMS of EA

You would:
1 Make a UOM Class named “CNT-OTH”, of type OTHER
2. Add the conversions for UOMs: EA, DZ, BX20, FT, IN, and YD to class CNT-OTH. Set FT as the default
3. In Part Maint, make sure the PUM and SUM are the same as the IUM - for part ABC-123
3. Run the conversion for part ABC-123 From COUNT.EA To: CNT-OTH.FT
4. Remove UOM conversions EA, DZ and BX20 from class CNT-OTH
5. Run the conversion for part ABC-123 From CNT-OTH & FT To: LENGTH & FT

As mentioned above, some types of existing part transactions will prevent the process from working. And there’s no way around that.

One thing to look out for, is if any open orders or POs refer to the part and use a SUM or PUM that is different than the IUM, it could error.

6 Likes

Thank you so much for this very thorough explanation. I’ve been thrown in to this project as my very first paying job right out of college so I really appreciate you taking the time to write an example. Our pilot should’ve been clean but the person whom I replaced uploaded the cost table from DMT by mistake so I’m kind of stuck with every part.

I will give this a try ASAP. Thanks again.

I’m experienced, and still messed up our E10 launch when I uploaded parts without setting the UOM Class. MANY parts went in as COUNT that should have been LENGTH. And then I uploaded the costs, and that locked in the UOM Class :angry:

For a while we managed this by creating a UOM of EAFT for class COUNT. The conversion was 1 EAFT = 1 EA, and the symbol was set to FT.

It would display FT on orders and what not.

2 Likes

I’m not sure this works anymore. They added business logic that prevents the deletion of UOM Conversions once they’ve been added. Did you find a way around this limitation as well?

Yeah, that’s the problem I’m running into as well. Seems like you can’t delete or deactivate UOMs within a UOM class once you have inventory for them. I suppose would have to pull everything out of inventory for that UOM, delete it from the intermediate UOM class, and then put everything back.

Not exactly something I can do on a Tuesday afternoon.

Also same issue here.
Basically UOM Conversion is completely broken then?