From a programerâ€™s view:
All ABL code will have to be translated to C#. A good programmer can re-do that in semi-quick fashion, you are not actually re-creating anything. I re-wrote ours in about 3 months. Granted I wrote them all originally, but still once I learned the syntax, I found C# to be much easier to work with. Things I couldnâ€™t figure out in ABL were almost too easy in C#. The biggest thing left to tackle is the configurator. The basic format came over, but the code behind the scenes does need to be re-written more so because of the new features. The E10 configurator tools are so much better I will actually be eliminating code. The BAQ & BPM tools are amazing. There is SO much more you can do now and it is easier.
Biggest issues we found were that E10 & C# are not so forgiving. It is much more strict, so if your original programming was â€œlooseâ€ it will call you on it.
It was a big project and we took full advantage of it. Epicor Support has been awesome, so for those that say wait until it settles, I would counter that with jump on it while it is the next big thing and you have their full attention. I believe your time/money would be better spent tackling one upgrade, instead of two, especially for those below E9.
firstname.lastname@example.org [mailto:email@example.com] On Behalf Of
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2014 1:36 PM
Subject: RE: [Vantage] Upgrade to Epicor 9 or Epicor 10
â€œE10 is a *complete* re-write.â€
I am not so sure I truly believe that, unless they are using re-write in the loosest sense of the world.
A complete re-write would mean that they re-wrote all the code from scratch.
Thatâ€™s a major thing I base my belief on. My sense is that their â€œcomplete re-writeâ€ just means the code is in C# now, and no longer in the Progress ABL, since the platform changed it was a requirement. They have probably tweaked it some and fixed errors after conversion and testing, but I am not so sure â€œcomplete re-writeâ€ is really what actually has happened with the newer version.
I'm not so sure yet. I'm in the same boat. I respectfully disagree. If you want to go directly from 8.03 to 10, I'd wait 12 months to do so. Call me crazy, call me oldâ€¦.. but I don't like myself and/or my business to be a guinea pig. I am still on 8.03 for one good reason: It works great for us. I've been reluctant to upgrade because if "it ain't broke, don't fix it." Hearing and reading various war-stories on 9.05x made me complacent and content on 8.03â€¦ .at least I know what doesn't work in 8.03 and I've customized or BPM'd a "fix".
E10 is a *complete* re-write. They said it many times at Insights. I love Epicor, don't get me wrong, but E10 was a big undertaking. I would either upgrade to 9.05 *now* or wait until April 2015 to implement 10. Yes, your effort will be doubled if you baby-step to 9.05. And yes, if ill-equipped with regard to hardware, it will be a bit slower in very few areas. But going from 8.03 to 9.x requires no rewriting of BPMs/Customizations/Configurator/etc. 9.05 has been tried and tested by all of you for the last 5+ years, so now I think it's safe. So thanks, guys! :-)
So after much deliberation, I've decided I will upgrade to 9.05x immediately and relatively painlessly. I think I can do that in 2 mos without many unknowns. Then, immediately get another box and install E10 and upgrade myself from 9.05 to E10x and play around with it for a few months and then in mid-2015 I'll pursue an upgrade to 10.
Do not go to 9, you'll double your implementation and upgrade time / cost. I would go straight to 10, you'll have to pass by 9 during the upgrade but I'd shoot for 10
On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 9:16 AM, <jepperson@...> wrote:
The company that I work for is just getting ready to start the upgrade process (from 8.03.409C on a Progress database). We haven't officially started yet, but we will be very soon (we have our kick-off call with the consulting firm scheduled for tomorrow, with our preliminary plan being that we would be live by Q4, 2014).
The plan has been that we are upgrading to Epicor 9, however, the consultants are now inquiring whether we would be interested in Epicor 10. No one at our company attended Insights this year, but from what we have been told, there are some major advantages to E10.
What are the thoughts of the group? If you were in our situation, would you rather...
Upgrade to Epicor 9 now (staying on a Progress DB), knowing that you will likely be upgrading again in 5 years or so?
Upgrade to Epicor 10 now, converting to SQL database (which no one at our company is familiar with), and possibly delay the next upgrade for 8-10 years?
Thanks for the opinions,