Upgrading to 10.2.100 - delete your appservers do not upgrade

I recently tried to upgrade a server from 10.1.100.x to 10.2.100.5 and got an error trying to deploy the appserver.

I was following the upgrade install guide and everything seemed to be going well - until I got to the Deploy appserver. When I tried to deploy I got an error message referencing a "System.ServiceModel.EndpointNotFoundException: The message could not be dispatched because the service at the endpoint address ‘net.tcp://ermc-sql1/EPICORDEMO/Ice/BO/UserFile.svc’ is unavailable for the protocol of the address. "

I created an Epicor Support call and after a WebEx and some time to think about it - the conclusion is that the install guide needs to be updated and that the previous appservers need to be deleted (from IIS) and then you can re-enter the same appserver names and continue.

Here is the response I got from support. Please ignore the Demo/Training DB item - I was updating the Demo/Train Db to save my actual Live and Pilot DB’s for the Fix:

Hello Dave,

Your case has been assigned to me.
Reviewing your screen shots it looks like you are trying to upgrade a Demo Database and App Server? Is this our Demo Database?
If so here are a few suggestions.

1. We don’t suggest ever upgrading the Demo Database but to create a new Demo Database at each version. This is because the Education material is created at this version and you may not get all this on an upgrade. You then should backup the database after creation so you can refresh it from time to time once your users have finish doing the course material.

2. You should also never attempt to Upgrade the Application Server but to create a new one from scratch after each upgrade. You can update an application server from say 600.9 to 600.10 but not upgrade. This is for any environment Demo or otherwise. We have asked Development and Documentation to take this out of the guides going forward.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Just thought I would share this since I have NOT SEEN the install guide get updated and I would bet others may encounter the same issue.

PLEASE - take screen shots of all the tabs from your current install PRIOR to upgrading to 10.2 - They will come in handy when rebuilding your appservers.

Questions: Dave Olender Ph: 651-246-3281

6 Likes

Good to know, thanks for sharing!

wow, thanks for the warning Dave

Just want to say thanks Dave.
I upgraded one of our servers from 10.1.500.x to 10.2.100.7 last night.
Ran into a different but no less useless error when I got to the deploy steps. After spending more time than I should have trying to get past it I remembered seeing this post and deleting then re-creating the App Server got me past it.

Mr. Erik: Glad you were able to get past the error.

Upgrading can be stressful - so I think it’s always nice to have options just in case the process does NOT follow the script.

Thanks for the feedback
Take Care,
DaveO

Our practice with upgrades to latest ERP versions is always to have a new environment created that is installed with the new ERP version - database and application server, thereafter we restore the database from the old ERP server to the new ERP server and upgrade the database. This is a cleaner procedure and on top you get the option of installing the latest OS and SQL Server versions instead of upgrading the OS, SQL and Epicor ERP on the same server (in-server upgrades)

Hope this option will suit your future upgrades

Nikhil

it’s a good idea .but how to modify client setting if you change the APP server?

For the clients, I would rather have a static value that is repointed either by DNS / WINS to the live server.

Anyone else getting an error when trying to Re-Register an AppServer after the step they tell you do Delete it and Re-Register… Cant pick the UsernameWindowsChannel without getting a Client Side / Admin Console Error with a Continue / Quit button.

But If i do not delete the App Server then I can update it as long as I skip the re-register step. Looks like a Admin Console bug.

Getting this exact problem right now trying to do a 10.1.400 to 10.2.200 upgrade.

Glad I remember I saw this post a while ago as I am running into the same thing and it is driving me crazy.

Did you ever get it resolved?

I had to go to the .config file which is an .xml where the Admin Console reads the Version number and decides which snapin to use and force it to 10.2 via xml.

I always thought if you went from 10.1.xxx to 10.2.xxx you have to install the 10.2 base first then upgrade to the patch such as 10.2.100.