Validate Custom Field =- Code example?

@Banderson

i agree with that, simple data or method BPM will do the job

Can you help me on what to select? I’ve gone through the list of available conditions and none look relevant. Or do I skip the condition and go straight from Start to Execute custom code?

I’ll wait til the dust settles, and see if I can add anything else… lol

2 Likes
private void QuoteHed_BeforeFieldChange(object sender, DataColumnChangeEventArgs args)
{
	switch (args.Column.ColumnName)
	{
		case "ShortChar02": /* QuoteStatus */
			if ( (args.Row["ShortChar02"].ToString().Contains("Won") || args.Row["ShortChar02"].ToString().Contains("Lost")) &&
				(args.ProposedValue.ToString().Contains("Progress") || args.ProposedValue.ToString().Contains("Finished")) )
			{
				if (args.Row["Date03"].ToString() != string.Empty)
				{
			        DialogResult dialogResult = EpiMessageBox.Show("Continue? Your Date Won/Lost will be cleared.", "Warning", MessageBoxButtons.YesNo);
			        if (dialogResult == DialogResult.Yes) {
			        	/* Reset Status Date */
			        	args.Row["Date03"] = DBNull.Value;
			    	}
			    	else {
			    		throw new UIException();
			    	}
		    	}
			}
	}
}

Basically args.ProposedValue is what the new change will be and if you don’t like it then
throw new UIException(); Which will prevent it from going to the AfterFieldChange and it will also set the User’s Keyboard focus, back on the field.

Few more Examples:

/* Status Date */
			case "Date03":
				if (!string.IsNullOrEmpty(args.ProposedValue.ToString()))
				{
					// Get Proposed Date Change Value
					DateTime dt = Convert.ToDateTime(args.ProposedValue);

// If its past the Date Quoted dont allow it
					if (!string.IsNullOrEmpty(args.Row["DateQuoted"].ToString()))
					{
						if (dt < Convert.ToDateTime(args.Row["DateQuoted"]))
						{
							MessageBox.Show("You are not allowed to set a date that is less than the Date Quoted", "Error", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Error);
							throw new UIException();
						}
					}
				}
			break;

case "DateQuoted":
			case "FollowUpDate":
			case "DueDate":
				// Check if Selected Date is Good
				if (!this.CheckProposedDate(args))
				{
					throw new UIException();
				}
			break;

Just for the sake, let’s show the “AfterFieldChange” what I usually do in there:

private void QuoteHed_AfterFieldChange(object sender, DataColumnChangeEventArgs args)
{
	// ** Argument Properties and Uses **
	// args.Row["FieldName"]
	// args.Column, args.ProposedValue, args.Row
	// Add Event Handler Code
	switch (args.Column.ColumnName)
	{
		/* ParentQuoteNum is Manually Changed */
		case "ParentQuoteNum":

if (Convert.ToInt32(args.ProposedValue.ToString()) == 0 && args.Row["ShortChar01"].ToString() == "Revision")
			{
				args.Row["ShortChar01"] = "Quote";
			}
			else if (Convert.ToInt32(args.ProposedValue.ToString()) > 0 && args.Row["ShortChar01"].ToString() == "Quote")
			{
				args.Row["ShortChar01"] = "Revision";
			}
			break;

/* Due Date is Changed */
		case "DueDate":
			DialogResult dialogResult = EpiMessageBox.Show("Changing the Due Date should only be done if authorized by the Customer. Would you like to Log a Call to Contact the Customer?", "Due Date Warning", MessageBoxButtons.YesNo);

if (dialogResult == DialogResult.Yes)
			{
				// Launch Log a Call
				Erp.UI.App.CRMCallEntry.CRMCallArgs crmObject = new CRMCallArgs(RelatedToFiles.QuoteHed, args.Row["QuoteNum"].ToString(), "", "", "", "", "", false);
				ProcessCaller.LaunchForm(this.oTrans, "Erp.UI.CRMCallEntry", crmObject, false);
			}
			break;
	}
}
1 Like

Here’s the thread that pretty well documents my get by ID education. Seems pretty similar to what you are trying to do.

This is not trivial for someone not somewhat familiar with C#. and the framework While @hkeric.wci shows you how to navigate the features of the validations, You’ll still have to:
Get the appropriate adapter
GetByID using the passed the CustID
If no results are returned, fail the validation

What table are you updating? The data directive works on a specific table.

The data directive BPM’s will only fire when you make a change to the tables. (like a save event) if you want the validation to happen when you exit the field before you save the record, you will need a customization. Like the thread posted, or like @hkeric.wci’s code that is posted.

Like @Chris_Conn said, not trivial. But I figured it out, so it’s not that hard. :wink:

2 Likes

Isnt the CustID already validated? Is the issue you want to stop it from prompting for a new one? If so, just do a BeforeAdapterMethod against GetNew on the CustomerAdapter and stop it.

She said it was on a custom form.

Sure, but it’s still Customer.CustID according to her first post no?

Wouldn’t a search adapter on Customer be best? (I’m sure I used the wrong terminology there)
It not only ensures that a valid customer number is used, but actually allows you to find the customer you’re looking for.

Thanks Everyone

I should have explained this in full first but didn’t want to post an essay!

I think I actually want to make sure that the entry in UD04 Key1 is a valid Customer.CustID

My Task:
On the customer Entry Program, Ship To Tab:
Make it possible for users to add :

• unique machine ID (there can be multiple of these per ship To)
  • Date installed for each machine
  • Grade of Anit virus conver puchased for each machine
  • active / deactivated dates for antivirus cover per machine

I have selected UD04 (we already use 1,2,&3)
UD 04 Key 1 will be the CustomerCustID
UD04 Key 2 will be the ShipTo.ShipToNum
UD04.Character01 will be the MachineID

Before I get to making it work on Customer Entry, I set up UD04 in our menu.
I wanted to be able to add the records there to build up the UD04 Table (in test environment).
And so then I have a place to enter multiple records without opening each customer form up.

At present, Key 1 of UD04 is bound to Customer.CustID, but I could enter anything.

(I have managed to add UD04 to the menu context file xml, and it is available to pull in to a foreign key view).

1 Like

I would make two buttons Cust ID and Ship To and then use search functions to find each and return to read only text boxes. Validate - check, easy to search - check.

1 Like

Another option is to use an EpiCombo tied to the customer adapter. Then they can select OR type into it.

1 Like

Insert an EpiRetrieverCombo

See pages 306 of the ICE manual

Thanks Calvin.
I did this but it came back with a GetAdapter error when I launched the customized form.

I followed the whole workshop on adding Custom Shipping Size container to Customer shipment entry and the combo never displayed any data (I had added the ud table and populated it wih container options).

Confession - I’ve never managed to make an EpiRetreiverCombo work.

But EpiCombo does much the same thing, more simply.

That’s odd.

One thing I didn’t mention is that the default RetriverCombo will let you enter text that is not one of the values retrieved. You’ll need to add a On Form Load function to tweak the control to prevent manually entering another value