Vantage 6.1 & Windows Vista/7 (mainly 64-bit)

Have you tried running a Vantage session through a RDP session from a terminal server, or if he doesn't run it that often, even an older XP machine that sits idle?

Troy Christensen

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Hello all,

I recently had to replace someone's workstation and the system we got them is "too new (no drivers)" for Windows XP so it has Vista x64 (ugh) on it. He doesn't use Vantage that much so it's not a huge deal right now. I also had to wipe out my own machine and I love Windows 7 at home so I figured I'd experiment here at work. I installed Windows 7 x64 and I can't get Vantage 6.1 setup and working. The biggest issue is that MFGClientSetup.exe is apparently 16-bit and just won't run. From some posts on here & Googling I have managed to:

(V: is the mapped drive we use for Epicor)
- run V:\prgs91d\netsetup\setup.exe, which ran fine and gave me some hope
- run V:\mfgsys61\OCX\InstOCX.exe, which also ran fine
- run C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe and add the System DSN Merant driver, test connection worked and everything seemed great

This is as far as I made it and I'm not exactly sure what I'm missing now. I was assuming/hoping that MFGClientSetup.exe is just really a script that ran other setup programs (such as netsetup's setup) which means I could run each of them myself and be OK. I'm just not sure now what other steps I am missing. It could be as simple as associating filetypes with the right program or I could be completely missing a bunch of files. Does anyone have any experience with all of this? Even if you got the Vantage client (any version I guess) running in Vista x64 the info would probably help.

Also, does anyone have any experience with MS's Virtual PC in Windows 7 and Vantage? I thought that might be an option later on for systems that support it.

Thanks everyone,
Zack
Oops I forgot to mention this is build 7100 (RC) of Windows 7 x64 in case that helps, I'm not sure how much has changed across the different builds.

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "rezn0rix" <reznuh@...> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> I recently had to replace someone's workstation and the system we got them is "too new (no drivers)" for Windows XP so it has Vista x64 (ugh) on it. He doesn't use Vantage that much so it's not a huge deal right now. I also had to wipe out my own machine and I love Windows 7 at home so I figured I'd experiment here at work. I installed Windows 7 x64 and I can't get Vantage 6.1 setup and working. The biggest issue is that MFGClientSetup.exe is apparently 16-bit and just won't run. From some posts on here & Googling I have managed to:
>
> (V: is the mapped drive we use for Epicor)
> - run V:\prgs91d\netsetup\setup.exe, which ran fine and gave me some hope
> - run V:\mfgsys61\OCX\InstOCX.exe, which also ran fine
> - run C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe and add the System DSN Merant driver, test connection worked and everything seemed great
>
> This is as far as I made it and I'm not exactly sure what I'm missing now. I was assuming/hoping that MFGClientSetup.exe is just really a script that ran other setup programs (such as netsetup's setup) which means I could run each of them myself and be OK. I'm just not sure now what other steps I am missing. It could be as simple as associating filetypes with the right program or I could be completely missing a bunch of files. Does anyone have any experience with all of this? Even if you got the Vantage client (any version I guess) running in Vista x64 the info would probably help.
>
> Also, does anyone have any experience with MS's Virtual PC in Windows 7 and Vantage? I thought that might be an option later on for systems that support it.
>
> Thanks everyone,
> Zack
>
You should try the virtual xp machine you can download from MS for Win 7

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "rezn0rix" <reznuh@...> wrote:
>
> Oops I forgot to mention this is build 7100 (RC) of Windows 7 x64 in case that helps, I'm not sure how much has changed across the different builds.
>
> --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "rezn0rix" <reznuh@> wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I recently had to replace someone's workstation and the system we got them is "too new (no drivers)" for Windows XP so it has Vista x64 (ugh) on it. He doesn't use Vantage that much so it's not a huge deal right now. I also had to wipe out my own machine and I love Windows 7 at home so I figured I'd experiment here at work. I installed Windows 7 x64 and I can't get Vantage 6.1 setup and working. The biggest issue is that MFGClientSetup.exe is apparently 16-bit and just won't run. From some posts on here & Googling I have managed to:
> >
> > (V: is the mapped drive we use for Epicor)
> > - run V:\prgs91d\netsetup\setup.exe, which ran fine and gave me some hope
> > - run V:\mfgsys61\OCX\InstOCX.exe, which also ran fine
> > - run C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe and add the System DSN Merant driver, test connection worked and everything seemed great
> >
> > This is as far as I made it and I'm not exactly sure what I'm missing now. I was assuming/hoping that MFGClientSetup.exe is just really a script that ran other setup programs (such as netsetup's setup) which means I could run each of them myself and be OK. I'm just not sure now what other steps I am missing. It could be as simple as associating filetypes with the right program or I could be completely missing a bunch of files. Does anyone have any experience with all of this? Even if you got the Vantage client (any version I guess) running in Vista x64 the info would probably help.
> >
> > Also, does anyone have any experience with MS's Virtual PC in Windows 7 and Vantage? I thought that might be an option later on for systems that support it.
> >
> > Thanks everyone,
> > Zack
> >
>
I don't know much about the older versions of Vantage, but if the program is
16-bit you're outta luck. It just won't run on 64-bit (Vista or Win 7).

You can of course run it just fine in Virtual PC using XP, but it's not
something I would consider deploy-able solution.

You may wanna check out just what didn't have drivers. You may be able to
just throw in a cheap sound/video card and have an XP compatible system.

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 5:30 PM, rezn0rix <reznuh@...> wrote:

>
>
> Oops I forgot to mention this is build 7100 (RC) of Windows 7 x64 in case
> that helps, I'm not sure how much has changed across the different builds.
>
>
> --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com <vantage%40yahoogroups.com>, "rezn0rix"
> <reznuh@...> wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I recently had to replace someone's workstation and the system we got
> them is "too new (no drivers)" for Windows XP so it has Vista x64 (ugh) on
> it. He doesn't use Vantage that much so it's not a huge deal right now. I
> also had to wipe out my own machine and I love Windows 7 at home so I
> figured I'd experiment here at work. I installed Windows 7 x64 and I can't
> get Vantage 6.1 setup and working. The biggest issue is that
> MFGClientSetup.exe is apparently 16-bit and just won't run. From some posts
> on here & Googling I have managed to:
> >
> > (V: is the mapped drive we use for Epicor)
> > - run V:\prgs91d\netsetup\setup.exe, which ran fine and gave me some hope
> > - run V:\mfgsys61\OCX\InstOCX.exe, which also ran fine
> > - run C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe and add the System DSN Merant
> driver, test connection worked and everything seemed great
> >
> > This is as far as I made it and I'm not exactly sure what I'm missing
> now. I was assuming/hoping that MFGClientSetup.exe is just really a script
> that ran other setup programs (such as netsetup's setup) which means I could
> run each of them myself and be OK. I'm just not sure now what other steps I
> am missing. It could be as simple as associating filetypes with the right
> program or I could be completely missing a bunch of files. Does anyone have
> any experience with all of this? Even if you got the Vantage client (any
> version I guess) running in Vista x64 the info would probably help.
> >
> > Also, does anyone have any experience with MS's Virtual PC in Windows 7
> and Vantage? I thought that might be an option later on for systems that
> support it.
> >
> > Thanks everyone,
> > Zack
> >
>
>
>

FYI - we have been running Vantage on 64 bit clients since Windows XP x64 and Vantage 5.0, other than the manual install we have had no issues. This includes Vista Business, Enterprise, Windows 7 beta and RC.

Below is an old posting for 5.0 just need to change everything for 6.1.
Did you edit the services file? No shortcuts - copy from another machine or create a shortcut to the .mfg files you need.

Here is what we do:

Vantage Drive = V

Run V:\Progress\netsetup\setup.exe

Run V:\Vantage\OCX\InstOcx.exe

Edit C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\services (for example: Epic50 2500/tcp) You can find the service in the vantage.vtg (for 6.1 vantage.mfg) file, connections= -S "xxxxx", 2500 is the default port for 5.0, tcp is the protocol.

The services file needs Local Admin rights or Explicit user Rights (Domain Admin will not work - although Domain Admin can change the rights).

For Vantage Help:

For Vantage help on Windows Vista we did not have to turn off any security settings. But we did have to add some registry settings. You can copy and paste the following text into a text file and name it something like vant32hlp.reg. Then you can either double click on it to install or add it to a script.

Vista 32 bit:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp\1.x\ItssRestrictions]

"UrlAllowList"="N:\\vantage\\HELP\\vnhelp_enu.chm;file://;"

Vista 64 bit:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\HTMLHelp\1.x\ItssRestrictions]

"UrlAllowList"="N:\\vantage\\HELP\\vnhelp_enu.chm;file://;"

For ODBC:

For the older versions of Vantage we had to use the 32bit ODBC Data Source administrator located in: C:\Windows\SysWow64\odbcad32.exe. This is not the same one in "Administrative Tools".

Hth,

Jim

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of rezn0rix
Sent: Thursday, September 24, 2009 4:26 PM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] Vantage 6.1 & Windows Vista/7 (mainly 64-bit)

Hello all,

I recently had to replace someone's workstation and the system we got them is "too new (no drivers)" for Windows XP so it has Vista x64 (ugh) on it. He doesn't use Vantage that much so it's not a huge deal right now. I also had to wipe out my own machine and I love Windows 7 at home so I figured I'd experiment here at work. I installed Windows 7 x64 and I can't get Vantage 6.1 setup and working. The biggest issue is that MFGClientSetup.exe is apparently 16-bit and just won't run. From some posts on here & Googling I have managed to:

(V: is the mapped drive we use for Epicor)
- run V:\prgs91d\netsetup\setup.exe, which ran fine and gave me some hope
- run V:\mfgsys61\OCX\InstOCX.exe, which also ran fine
- run C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe and add the System DSN Merant driver, test connection worked and everything seemed great

This is as far as I made it and I'm not exactly sure what I'm missing now. I was assuming/hoping that MFGClientSetup.exe is just really a script that ran other setup programs (such as netsetup's setup) which means I could run each of them myself and be OK. I'm just not sure now what other steps I am missing. It could be as simple as associating filetypes with the right program or I could be completely missing a bunch of files. Does anyone have any experience with all of this? Even if you got the Vantage client (any version I guess) running in Vista x64 the info would probably help.

Also, does anyone have any experience with MS's Virtual PC in Windows 7 and Vantage? I thought that might be an option later on for systems that support it.

Thanks everyone,
Zack

Jim, thank you!

This ended up working great, I now have Vantage 6.1 working perfectly in Windows 7 RC1 x64. In case anyone was wondering the correct line to add to the services file for 6.1 is:

mfgsys61 6100/tcp

After the steps listed below and the addition of this line all I had to do was associate .mfg files with V:\mfgsys61\db\Mfg.exe

Hope this helps someone else out there.

Jim & everyone else thank you again.

-Z

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, Jim Mediger <JimM@...> wrote:
>
> FYI - we have been running Vantage on 64 bit clients since Windows XP x64 and Vantage 5.0, other than the manual install we have had no issues. This includes Vista Business, Enterprise, Windows 7 beta and RC.
>
> Below is an old posting for 5.0 just need to change everything for 6.1.
> Did you edit the services file? No shortcuts - copy from another machine or create a shortcut to the .mfg files you need.
>
>
> Here is what we do:
>
>
>
> Vantage Drive = V
>
>
>
> Run V:\Progress\netsetup\setup.exe
>
> Run V:\Vantage\OCX\InstOcx.exe
>
>
>
> Edit C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\services (for example: Epic50 2500/tcp) You can find the service in the vantage.vtg (for 6.1 vantage.mfg) file, connections= -S "xxxxx", 2500 is the default port for 5.0, tcp is the protocol.
>
>
>
> The services file needs Local Admin rights or Explicit user Rights (Domain Admin will not work - although Domain Admin can change the rights).
>
>
>
> For Vantage Help:
>
>
>
> For Vantage help on Windows Vista we did not have to turn off any security settings. But we did have to add some registry settings. You can copy and paste the following text into a text file and name it something like vant32hlp.reg. Then you can either double click on it to install or add it to a script.
>
>
>
> Vista 32 bit:
>
>
>
> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp\1.x\ItssRestrictions]
>
> "UrlAllowList"="N:\\vantage\\HELP\\vnhelp_enu.chm;file://;"
>
>
>
> Vista 64 bit:
>
>
>
> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\HTMLHelp\1.x\ItssRestrictions]
>
> "UrlAllowList"="N:\\vantage\\HELP\\vnhelp_enu.chm;file://;"
>
>
>
> For ODBC:
>
>
>
> For the older versions of Vantage we had to use the 32bit ODBC Data Source administrator located in: C:\Windows\SysWow64\odbcad32.exe. This is not the same one in "Administrative Tools".
>
>
>
> Hth,
>
>
>
> Jim
>
>
> From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of rezn0rix
> Sent: Thursday, September 24, 2009 4:26 PM
> To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [Vantage] Vantage 6.1 & Windows Vista/7 (mainly 64-bit)
>
>
>
> Hello all,
>
> I recently had to replace someone's workstation and the system we got them is "too new (no drivers)" for Windows XP so it has Vista x64 (ugh) on it. He doesn't use Vantage that much so it's not a huge deal right now. I also had to wipe out my own machine and I love Windows 7 at home so I figured I'd experiment here at work. I installed Windows 7 x64 and I can't get Vantage 6.1 setup and working. The biggest issue is that MFGClientSetup.exe is apparently 16-bit and just won't run. From some posts on here & Googling I have managed to:
>
> (V: is the mapped drive we use for Epicor)
> - run V:\prgs91d\netsetup\setup.exe, which ran fine and gave me some hope
> - run V:\mfgsys61\OCX\InstOCX.exe, which also ran fine
> - run C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe and add the System DSN Merant driver, test connection worked and everything seemed great
>
> This is as far as I made it and I'm not exactly sure what I'm missing now. I was assuming/hoping that MFGClientSetup.exe is just really a script that ran other setup programs (such as netsetup's setup) which means I could run each of them myself and be OK. I'm just not sure now what other steps I am missing. It could be as simple as associating filetypes with the right program or I could be completely missing a bunch of files. Does anyone have any experience with all of this? Even if you got the Vantage client (any version I guess) running in Vista x64 the info would probably help.
>
> Also, does anyone have any experience with MS's Virtual PC in Windows 7 and Vantage? I thought that might be an option later on for systems that support it.
>
> Thanks everyone,
> Zack
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>