Working in Browser? Really?

You can change the search engine to Google.

Edge browser with Google SE… This is the way

3 Likes

This is the way.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Deep linking is a compelling feature for web vs desktop app for sure, but have you found a way to perform deep linking in the Kinetic Web UI? I have been looking for a way to pull up a specific quote for example, but I’ve had no luck thus far.

Yup, per one of the teachers at my EE classes (Patrick Ferrington). He said it will be gone by the end of 2024. That’s a HUGE deal for us, security-wise and as soon as I got home from Insights I started coordinating with the higher-ups to get everything running smoothly for the inmates in the cloud when the time comes.

2 Likes

Hey Lee,

Deep linking starts with 2022.1 according to Tim Shoemaker:

Approval Link in Mail - Kinetic 202X - Epicor User Help Forum (epiusers.help)

2 Likes

Thanks, Mark! I’m glad to see they’ve added that feature since my last investigation.

1 Like

Yes, there is a “Share” option on every app… in this image you can see the share option in the PART table. Once you select it, you can then copy the link and send it via email. The link is a web URL with all the data necessary to recall the part that was displayed. If the user clicks on the link, and they are already logged in, it takes them directly to the screen/record specified. If they are NOT logged in, it asks for their login first, then goes directly to the screen. Its an amazing thing. (oh… and you can build your own deep links too… just follow an example that you share and change the part number/customer id, etc.)

6 Likes

Tim, can we add deep links to to BPM emails, or is it limited to manually sharing via the share button?

Once you have a link you can send it and do whatever you want with it. Email it, share it on facebook, etc!

2 Likes

I just cried a little. :heart:

3 Likes

1 Like

@josecgomez - So the link format is something that could be automatically generated by the BPM? Or will it have some guid that the BPM won’t create on the fly? We’re on 2021.2, so I don’t have an environment to see what it looks like yet…

I’m thinking an email alert BPM - i.e. Order# (Whatever#) was put on hold, etc…

Some URL that can be built by the BPM:
https://AppServer/Environment/Apps/Erp/Home/#/view/Erp.UI.SalesOrderEntry?SONum

Or GUID URL that needs someone to manually click on the ‘share’ link to create?
https://AppServer/Environment/Apps/Erp/Home/#/view/Erp.UI.SalesOrderEntry?channelid=a501137a-1d05-4d30-9443-3f9cb772d2a0channelid=a501137a-1d05-4d30-9443-3f9cb772d2a0

1. I like the idea of having a quick way within a BPM to create a share link. This is a good idea, and someone (@josecgomez ?) should create a new Epicor Idea and the rest of you should vote for it so that it can be escalated. Note that I am the Product Manager of BPMs and BAQs as well, so I can help push these easy items up the line.
  2. UNTIL then, it is also fairly easy to go and grab the format of the link (create a link one time), and copy that into your code, swapping out the index key, and then send the link.
5 Likes

Epicor has a document available on EpicWeb titled, “Getting Started with the Kinetic User Experience” (dated May 2022). On page 5 there is a graphic describing that the Classic UI, and Classic and Modern Shells will stop being updated in the Kinetic 2023.1 release; and completely removed from the application in the Kinetic 2024.1 release, with the Desktop Client being replaced by Browser Access.

3 Likes

And until it is an official feature you could make UD codes to hold the link “templates”, and save yourself from hard coding them.

The “template” link would simply have its key replaced by the BPM

3 Likes

Just thinking out loud here… the deep link that is “generated” when you are in an app is always app centric… meaning, if you are in the PO Entry program, and create a deep link, it will bring you back to PO Entry… but if you do the same from PO Tracker, the link take you to the tracker. Trying to create a deep link from the BPM, there would need to be a “choice” as to which App to link back to when creating the deep link.

1 Like

Securing any system, app, browser etc. should be a part of any IT departments daily thought process. It should start with zero trust BEFORE it is released to the general user base.

If you are not using Microsoft Group Policy or Microsoft Intune Configuration Policies, you should verse yourself in both. Many of the concerns raised here can, and should be set, by your IT department after going through a governance process with other managers. The days of users wanting to customize to their own liking should be far behind (think desktop images, default save locations, screen saver password lockout, saving passwords, autofill, etc). In today’s security environment, you can never be too safe. And while you are at it, take a look at your upcoming Cyber Insurance renewal policy. As usual, the insurance industry dictates much of what we should be doing and of course raises the price 10 fold each year.

Is Epicor going to provide their own admin pack for controlling Edge policies?

Here are a few of the policies you can set through GPO and/or Intune (some are security related and some are not).

• Allow Address bar drop-down list suggestions;
  • Configure Autofill;
  • Allow Microsoft Compatibility List;
  • Allow clearing browsing data on exit;
  • Allow configuration updates for the Books Library;
  • Allow Developer Tools;
  • Configure Do Not Track;
  • Allow Extensions;
  • Allow Adobe Flash;
  • Configure the Adobe Flash Click-to-Run setting;
  • Allow FullScreen Mode;
  • Allow InPrivate browsing;
  • For PDF files that have both landscape and portrait pages, print each in its own orientation;
  • Configure Password Manager;
  • Configure Pop-up Blocker;
  • Allow Microsoft Edge to pre-launch at Windows startup, when the system is idle, and each time Microsoft Edge is closed;
  • Allow printing;
  • Allow Saving History;
  • Allow search engine customization;
  • Configure search suggestions in Address bar;
  • Allow Sideloading of extension;
  • Configure Windows Defender SmartScreen;
  • Allow Microsoft Edge to start and load the Start and New Tab page at Windows startup and each time Microsoft Edge is closed;
  • Allow web content on New Tab page;
  • Always show the Books Library in Microsoft Edge;
  • Configure additional search engines;
  • Configure Favorites Bar;
  • Configure Home Button;
  • Configure kiosk mode;
  • Configure kiosk reset after idle timeout;
  • Configure Open Microsoft Edge With;
  • Provision Favorites;
  • Configure cookies;
  • Disable lockdown of Start pages;
  • Allow extended telemetry for the Books tab;
  • Configure the Enterprise Mode Site List;
  • Configure Favorites;
  • Prevent using Localhost IP address for WebRTC;
  • Configure Start pages;
  • Prevent changes to Favorites on Microsoft Edge;
  • Prevent access to the about:flags page in Microsoft Edge;
  • Prevent certificate error overrides;
  • Prevent the First Run webpage from opening on Microsoft Edge;
  • Prevent Microsoft Edge from gathering Live Tile information when pinning a site to Start;
  • Prevent bypassing Windows Defender SmartScreen prompts for sites;
  • Prevent bypassing Windows Defender SmartScreen prompts for files;
  • Prevent turning off required extensions;
  • Send all intranet sites to Internet Explorer 11;
  • Set default search engine;
  • Set Home Button URL;
  • Set New Tab page URL;
  • Show message when opening sites in Internet Explorer;
  • Keep favorites in sync between Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge;
  • Unlock Home Button;
  • Allow a shared Books folder.
5 Likes

This is amazing :slight_smile: - excited as we are just starting our upgrade process to Kinetic from 10.1.400.

Has anyone played about with deep linking via a QR code on the route card and defaulting in the relative JobNum/Asm/OprSeq into “start production activity” UI - that would be pretty cool.

We have had issue testing kinetic browser in Egde and Firefox.

That’s my top concern. It’s not hard to make services work in the standard set of browsers, as long as that’s a core development principle from the beginning. Put it off too far into development and it can be a nightmare to remove those dependencies, meanwhile you’re at the mercy of the development cycle of whatever single browser you invested all your eggs in.

The dream of the web client is entering an order from your iPhone while you’re at a customer’s site. Browser agnostic, OS agnostic, device agnostic. I mention OS, because what works in Chrome on Windows also often doesn’t exactly translate to Chrome on other platforms. Scaling to phone screens is a whole different topic, not that browser agnosticism supports successful dynamic scaling, but more that it would require a total rethink of Kinetic’s vastly horizontal presentation of information.