Working with dates and times

I have read every post about dates and times and have no idea if I’m completely wrong in how I’m trying to do this. We have material that only has so many hours of use at room temperature. We have to note every time the material leaves and is returned to the freezer, and subtract the time it was out from the remaining hours of use. We are capturing the hours left in the lot table. Right now we do all the tracking and calculations on a sheet of paper on the shop floor, not great for planning or purchasing.

I am trying to get the information into Epicor. I have UD10 set up for entering the information on when it comes out and goes back in. I’m having trouble with the calculating time left. My dates are UD10.Date01 and UD10.Date02 (entered with an epiDateTimeEditor) and my times are UD10.Number01 and UD10.Number02 (entered with an epiTimeEditor).

Any ideas on how to calculate the hours between the 01 and 02 dates/times? Should I be storing the information in a different way? I’m trying to make entry as foolproof as possible for the material handlers.

The generic fields in the UD tables are dates only. So if you’re looking for hours, I wouldn’t use those fields. I would add UD columns with true date time types and use those.

In general, it’s better to use new fields anyways because it’s really hard to keep track of what the fields are with generic names. It’s a nightmare to maintain.

Once you do that, you’ll only have 1 field to deal with, so you won’t have to try and jam 2 different fields together to make a useable date/time.

1 Like

Using standard functionality -

1. issue the lot of material to the job - lets say 500 ounces
    do your processing
  2. return the lot of material from the job to stock - lets say 300 ounces.

The parttran table will capture both the date and time and who did the transaction.
It will also capture the jobs that used the material.

Now comes the magic that @Banderson could answer.
On the part table put in the expire time in hours as an attribute.
Create a dashboard that tracks the usage and cumulative total time of the lot based on the partTran table.
Check out his example using the PartTran table.