BAQ Calculated fields insights presentation

Hey Everyone,

This is a recording done after the fact of my insights presentation due to the technical difficulties I had during the presentation. Now I was able to record all of the live things that I wanted to show.

I will apologize for my fat head in the way for some of it, but I thought it would be better if you could see me talking instead of just a disembodied voice. And I didn’t feel like taking the time to figure out how to use active presenter well enough to do some editing, so you get the rough cut.

It’s also pretty long (sorry about that) but I hope that I give some good detail so that you can understand what I am trying to teach.

Let me know if you liked it, and if you have any questions about the topics I cover.

22 Likes

Great Job! I didn’t watch the whole thing yet. Chapter markers would be nice. Overall, this is a great resource! Thanks for sharing it!

1 Like

Thanks, Brandon! I really enjoyed your presentation. Thanks for uploading this.

I’m about to make my boss watch it.

Maybe he’ll leave me alone.

This was great and I learned a few tricks to add to my toolbox. Thank you so much for sharing!

1 Like

I really wish we had recordings like this for all of the presentations. I feel like they used to do that in the past? Maybe not…

Anyway, great work. Thank you for sharing.

3 Likes

They generally don’t @andrew.johnson , they want you to actually go. The only reason I did this was because of the technical difficulties so I didn’t get to a bunch of it.

1 Like

This was a fantastic demonstration and I learned a lot of neat tricks. Thank you for taking the time to make it and share it with us.

2 Likes

You had me at “windowing functions.” I need to watch at least that part for sure. I have a project that is working but I bet could be done better or faster with some kind of sum-over-partition magic.

This is excellent. So thorough and starts from the basics (joins) and moves up. Well done.

On this topic, I wanted to also put in a plug for what @jkane and @NateS helped me with the other day, a brilliant way to use calculated fields to fake-pivot some values. I have a bunch of BAQs I need to go rewrite now.

1 Like

This video was awesome. I watched the sum-over-partition section today and did the running total - by part number! - in the BAQ I was working on this week. It worked - and I actually understood it for once.

Thank you @Banderson

2 Likes

I was going to suggest it in your other thread.

string_agg

THANK YOU!!

2 Likes

So they have the call for speakers out. Last year, when I did my presentation, there was technical difficulties, so I couldn’t do most of it live. (hence the above posted video).

My question to anyone willing to answer, is would you be interested in a similar (or duplicate) presentation this year? My initial thought is to touch on a couple of the same topics, but also throw in some different things that aren’t in this presentation. Pick an option below.

• Do the same Presentation again.
  • Do another tips and tricks, but different tricks.
  • I don’t think a BAQ tips and tricks would be helpful.
0 voters

I voted for a different tips and tricks, but it wouldn’t be a bad idea to include some of the other if you could make it work.

3 Likes

Seconded. Maybe new tips and tricks, but include the STRING_AGG in there again

2 Likes

ok, I submitted my presentation. We’ll see if they want it.