Adding Freight to invoices

We currently have to add freight to Epicor invoices for carriers other than UPS. When using UPS, it automatically adds the freight to the invoices. When using Fed-ex or DSV, we have to manually add the freight to invoices which is very time consuming. We have to pull freight documents to get that information. This seems very archaic. There must be a better way.

Is this just an Epicor set-up issue for Fed-ex and DSV? Please advise. Thanks.

You can buy and implement the other modules of quick ship for some of the other carriers. For LTL/FTL it get’s pretty hairy but standard carries (UPS, Fedex, DHL) they are consistent enough to be integrated with. My guess if Epicor handles LTL/FTL it’s through someone like CH Robinson.

2 Likes

Even though we’re using Manifest (the O.G. Quickship), we have a customization that calculates freight and then adds it as a misc charge on the Sales Order (which transfers to the invoice). The freight tables are set up within user codes… Something to consider.

Are you getting the values from a carrier? Otherwise any calculation you create would have to be heavily margined to cover potential losses or you accept the good with the bad?

Freight in the current environment is a sock in the wind.

If this is directed to me, we review our freight margins constantly and adjust the rates as needed. Ground parcel is set up as fixed price per lb in tiers, regardless if it’s a local delivery or across the US (i.e. $12.95 for under 15 lbs, $16.95 for 15.01-30 lbs, etc…). Expedited is based on $/lb with a min. LTL gets hairy with all the different surcharges (length, various zipcodes, residential). Our rate tables with XPO LTL are too complicated for QuickShip, and we’re looking at other TMS systems now.

Some orders are winners, others are losers, but they average out. When there’s a consistent outlier, we add another code to capture it to make it as ‘fair’ as possible. For truckload, our sales team contacts the traffic department.

Thanks for the information. We get the freight amounts from the carriers (Fed-ex & DSV).

We don’t have the man power to maintain that goodness! How do you handle different shipping lanes and picking which carrier is best for a route? Do you have fairly static routes?

1 Like

You can add freight miscellaneous charge to customer shipments in customer shipment entry. Would that work for you?

How are you booking hte FEdex & dsv shipments? Why does it only work with UPS?

I’m in Accounting trying to get the invoices out the door. Our Shipping Dept. handles the carriers.

We already add the freight to the invoices using the misc. charge. It’s a mystery why only UPS is set up to automatically add the freight.

Josh - Not sure, I’d have to check with our traffic manager to get accurate answers. I believe our dock has different doors for different carriers. XPO likely comes at a specific time on a specific lane, and the rest would be truckload. Our routes are not static at all, since customers buy a building or ten, and since they don’t break, there isn’t a ton of repeat trips! One of the neat features of Mercury Gate is that they can send LTL in one truck out of our plant in IA, then split it up into separate loads closer to the destination. I assume other TMS’s can do the same.

The traffic department gets quotes. Not sure if we use load boards, brokers, direct, or some combination. That industry seems like the wild west!

Because that is likely the only module you are paying for and setup on. Have your ERP Manager or System Owner contact your CAM

2 Likes

And if you want it to be on LTL or something that doesn’t run through the modules you are paying for, try asking shipping to add a miscellaneous charge to the customer shipment for the amount of the freight if you wish to bill it that way.

When you inspect the UPS customer shipments, do they have a miscellaneous charge on them?

1 Like