Cloud upgrade postponed

Anyone know why?

The Kinetic Production upgrade to 2023.2 scheduled for this weekend has been postponed ensuring your upgrade process runs smoothly . It has been rescheduled to December 8-10. We apologize for the inconvenience.

If you have any questions, please submit a case in EpicCare. Use Asset > Technical; Category > Installation.

1 Like

You scared them I guess

Did you get that from an email or a notification in Epicor? I haven’t seen anything

1 Like

I wonder if they will go with .5 or .7 since the pilot will update again the week prior.

Yes an email.

1 Like

You may want to subscribe to https://status.epicor.com for the Kinetic-Americas link. You can get texts or emails.

3 Likes

So I see PRB0273971 is listed as critical and in release planning. Wonder if that is the reason.

1 Like

There is an upcoming formal announcement about the reasons why, but what I can tell you is that this was about software quality issue that needed to be resolved before you all went live. Several customers reported issues in their pilot that would negatively affect many (not all) users. We felt it better to stop the countdown now, rather than cause more issues later.

10 Likes

I can confirm too.

We found a garing bug that would have just us down from being about to process orders.

So, for us, we’re very thankful this has been postponed.

What was the bug?

An issue trying to create a dropship entry for a sales order using one-time ship feature (vs. Ship to record).

It throws a foreign key validation error.

1 Like

How is it, that less than a week prior to go live, Epicor does a second upgrade which doesn’t allow testing prior to go live.
Goes against everything I had seen in the past with Epicor when implementing the software.
Don’t know if the last patch was the issue.

1 Like

I got an email eventually.

We have one surviving issue in our 2023.2 PILOT environment.

We had added a component to the Hero Bar in our MES system which enables us to use barcode scanning throughout our facility. In 2023.2, the component got blown away. We can add it back in, but it does not show in Preview mode. And if we save, exit application studio, and reload… the component is, again, missing.

I believe @aosemwengie1 had mentioned in several posts that she also had Hero Bar components get blown away.

I’m grateful for the delay as this missing component would affect operations throughout our facility. Hopefully this will give us (and EpicCare) time to find a solution prior to 2023.2 hitting our Production environment.

1 Like

I feel a twice per year upgrade schedule with a scant month for testing doesn’t align with either the level of QA Epicor is performing internally prior to release or the speed at which the development team is able to react to and resolve bugs reported during testing. I think it would be much better to switch to a once per year upgrade cadence with 2 months for testing. This avoids this kind of last minute fiasco which wreaks havoc with our scheduling. It also avoids the lopsided scheduling around insights where on one side of the year there are only 4 months between upgrades and on the other side 7-8 months. It also just makes it more digestible for cloud customers - we have other things to do besides upgrade and the current cadence is constantly interfering with our desire to focus on other priorities. Perhaps this revised schedule would allow time for Epicor QA to find more of these critical bugs before they impact us.

9 Likes

Exactly this.

2 Likes

This is why we chose to flex.

1 Like

Thinking about the development cycle more, the .1 could be the beta release/controlled release each year, for on premise customers with strong stomachs. The .2 could be the production release that everyone gets.

Flex does nothing. We would still be stuck upgrading twice per year, just on a different weekend than everyone else. It’s not like you even get more than 2-3 weekends to pick from. Huge waste of money imo.

Us too.

I understand some of the points made here about upgrade cadence. We do get 90 days to test the upgrade. I also feel it’s impossible to expect Epicor to test everything we can customize.
I think the takeaway here is they listened to customer feedback and postponed the update.
We cant run to the forum anytime something happens and find reason to complain. They delayed the update, that’s a win for everyone.

6 Likes