DNS Identity Error Connecting to App Server via EAC

Has anyone seen this error before during an Epicor Server install process:

I have already edited the [web.config] file at the site level to identify the SSL cert by serial number.

Also - notice the reference to the “www.” prefix in the error details. We do not, and have never, referenced any of our corporate URLs with the “www.” prefix. We don’t do it in IIS, we don’t do it in our DNS config, nor do we do it when generating SSL certificates… so, I’m not sure why Epicor is detecting this.

Does anyone recognize this who might be able to guide me to a few areas I should troubleshoot?

Thank you.

I’m not an expert, but are you definitely sure the DNS config doesn’t include a www entry?

Just adding to Aaron’s comment. Definetly looks DNS related. Check DNS forward zones and also check PTR records for your server’s IP. Also check alternate names in your SSL certificate.

1 Like

You should adjust DNS identity in current serve node properties of EAC:

1 Like

@Aaron_Moreng – this is from our network admin:

The server we are using is a new VM carved out specifically for me to test out the Epicor server install process over and over and over.

@Olga — Your suggestion worked.

I modified the “DNS Identity” value by placing the “www.” in front of the existing value and the connection via EAC picked up automatically afterward.

It still doesn’t make any sense to me why that would be required - again, because we do not use the “www.” prefix anywhere in our server’s DNS configuration. As a matter of fact, in performing many test installs in the past, this “requirement” has never been so.

Check out what Olga wrote, I wonder if you can change it via EAC

it is internal WCF stuff, it is not connected with DNS settings per se.
It is how your client is identified by server.

Is the new VM actually on your domain and in the AD?

@Olga – We always call the “internal stuff” that isn’t quite obvious or understood (at least in our environment), "Epicor Secret Sauce™". :grin:

I’ll just add this as another ingredient in the sauce.

Thanks for the help — everything is up and running properly now.

1 Like

Epicor did not invent WCF :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like the “Epicor Secret Sauce” doesn’t have all of its ingredients just yet.

After adding the “www.” to the DNS Identity for the application server properties (which allowed EAC to connect to the application server), I moved ahead with the remainder of my server install. After adding the EWA, EMA, and EES extensions, I tried to create a search index for EES and received a similar error (yes, the DNS Identity value still has the “www.” in front of it):

Anyone have any suggestions here?

Did you change the dns identity value and then apply?

@Aaron_Moreng — Yes. Did that and also restarted the app pool.

… even made sure that the Epicor Search Indexer service is authenticating with our correct service account creds.

I figured it out.

In addition to the “DNS Identity” setting changes suggested by @Olga above, I also needed to modify the “DNS Identity” settings directly in the application server configuration, as shown below:

After doing this, the EES search index setup continued without error.

Thank you to everyone who provided input in this thread. I appreciate all of you.

2 Likes

Hey,
We have similar issue, i did follow the same steps, doing that the app server does connect in EAC.
But when i try to connect/open the epicor app, i do get the same dns error. Where you getting that as well?? If yes, did you find the root cause or solution??

Thanks a lot