I implemented docStar with AP Automation really early on. Here is a few bits that I wrote to somebody who was wanting to do a reference visit to our site:
The docStar solution and the integration that’s available with E10 is great, and very flexible. I’ll explain how we’ve configured it, and you can assess whether it is relevant to your process.
• We raise a PO in E10 (using Buyer codes to control spend limits and approvals)
• Goods/services receipted in E10
• Invoice received, and presented to docStar (either by dropping pdf into correct folder, or scanning on a multi-function copier device which drops it into correct folder)
• docStar performs OCR on the document, picking up key fields such as Supplier, Invoice Num, Invoice Date, Subtotal, Tax, Amount
• Document enters docStar workflow – if it has a PO number, it goes into 1 workflow. (PO Invoices). If there is no PO number, then it goes into another workflow (Non-PO Invoices).
o If the sum of the receipt lines (and therefore the PO lines originally created) matches the PO subtotal, then the workflow pushes the invoice into E10 and is now complete. Requires no user interaction because everthing matches.
o If the sum of the receipt lines doesn’t match, then it is routed to the budget holder for approval.
All of the editing of lines / approval / validation happens within docStar. You end up with invoices in an AP Invoice Entry group in E10 (with the PDF as a linked attachment), ready to post. I actually spotted in the latest docStar version that they’ve added a couple more integrations (links), one of which was “PostAPGroup” - not that we want to do that, but if you did want them to post straight away it now looks to be possible.
You can basically do whatever you want in terms of checks/routing/workflow, it’s a great product!
Chris mentioned different OCR - docStar has a basic one built in, with no limit on pages. They also sell docAlpha as part of the suite if you need more IDC (Intelligent Data Capture). I pick and choose - for invoices, I use IDC which does need to be licensed for number of pages per annum. I use the basic one for our internal documents where I know where on the page to find a key field, such as Delivery Note No.