E10: 9.05.702A Progress Database Migration - SLOW

Transfer or convert?   If transferring using the DMT tool I could see weeks.   How large was the DB?

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 19, 2014, at 9:55 PM, "Jose Gomez jose@... [vantage]" <vantage@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

<div id="ygrps-yiv-1567437876ygrp-text">

<p></p><p dir="ltr">I don&#39;t know that I believe weeks... unless you had a couple terabytes.... no offense</p>
On Sep 19, 2014 4:38 PM, "fite2be@... [vantage]" <vantage@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

<div>

<p>Just for the record, when we did our data migration, even though we had all the &quot;recommended&quot; hardware, it literally took WEEKS to transfer it all.<br><br>Renee</p>

</div>

<div style="color:#fff;min-height:0;"></div>

</div>
Hi All,

As after getting past my issues with using SQL Server Express, my migration process is still on the first step (10 – Convert a source Progress DB to a interim SQL DB)?
Our Progress DB is 24GB. I’ve seen one person say it took them 7 hours for a 20GB DB and another say 13 hours for a 20GB DB.

My has been running for 39 hours and my best guess is that it’s not even half way done.

I may have resource starved my 9.05.702A server that is running this process so that could be the issue.

What are others using for server specs to run this migration?

I create a new 9.05.702A server for just this migration process. It is running in a virtual machine and I assigned it 4 cores and 4GB of RAM.
My Epicor 10 server is a completely separate server.

Epicor had suggested running everything from one server, meaning both 9.05.702A and 10. Based on this slow migration process, I might consider it but I was wonder how others approached this migration process and how beefy were the servers involved.

Joe Rojas | Director of Information Technology | Mats Inc
dir: 781-573-0291 | cell: 781-408-9278 | fax: 781-232-5191

addr: 37 Shuman Ave | Stoughton | Ma | 02072-3734
jrojas@... | www.matsinc.com
Ask us about our clean, green and beautiful matting and flooring

[cid:8a8624.png@b93532b4.46be3e23]
This message is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4 GB of RAM? That is the issue right there…

Windows should have a min of 8GB.

I would say you need to put at least 20GB on that virtual…

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 8:33 AM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] E10: 9.05.702A Progress Database Migration - SLOW

Hi All,

As after getting past my issues with using SQL Server Express, my migration process is still on the first step (10 – Convert a source Progress DB to a interim SQL DB)?
Our Progress DB is 24GB. I’ve seen one person say it took them 7 hours for a 20GB DB and another say 13 hours for a 20GB DB.

My has been running for 39 hours and my best guess is that it’s not even half way done.

I may have resource starved my 9.05.702A server that is running this process so that could be the issue.

I create a new 9.05.702A server for just this migration process. It is running in a virtual machine and I assigned it 4 cores and 4GB of RAM.

Epicor had suggested running everything from one server, meaning both 9.05.702A and 10. Based on this slow migration process, I might consider it but I was wonder how others approached this migration process and how beefy were the servers involved.

This message is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.

Just an update for those curious.
Step 10 (Convert a source Progress DB to a interim SQL DB), took a total of 65 hours to covert a 24GB Progress DB.

I am building a new server that has way more ram and more horsepower and will try again but this is an interesting benchmark.

[cid:f5cb16.png@218f786d.47b83c73]

Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 8:38 AM
Subject: [Vantage] RE: E10: 9.05.702A Progress Database Migration - SLOW

4 GB of RAM? That is the issue right there…

Windows should have a min of 8GB.

I would say you need to put at least 20GB on that virtual…

Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 8:33 AM
Subject: [Vantage] E10: 9.05.702A Progress Database Migration - SLOW

Hi All,

jrojas@...<mailto:jrojas@...> | www.matsinc.com<http://www.matsinc.com>

Just for the record, when we did our data migration, even though we had all the "recommended" hardware, it literally took WEEKS to transfer it all.

Renee
Wow!
How big was your DB?
How did you ever manage that long of a migration? Did you shut down the business for weeks or work off the system for weeks?

[cid:4258fb.png@b16de57d.47af2b43]

Sent: Friday, September 19, 2014 4:38 PM
Subject: [Vantage] RE: E10: 9.05.702A Progress Database Migration - SLOW

Just for the record, when we did our data migration, even though we had all the "recommended" hardware, it literally took WEEKS to transfer it all.

Renee

I don't know that I believe weeks... unless you had a couple terabytes.... no offense

On Sep 19, 2014 4:38 PM, "fite2be@... [vantage]" <vantage@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Â
<div>

<p>Just for the record, when we did our data migration, even though we had all the &quot;recommended&quot; hardware, it literally took WEEKS to transfer it all.<br><br>Renee</p>

</div>

<div style="color:#fff;min-height:0;"></div>